• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies That Still Scared You Weeks After Viewing

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watch A LOT of horror. The only film/show that has had the distinction of giving me nightmares as an adult was the White Bear episode of Black Mirror. That show, generally speaking, ranks pretty high as "shit that will fuck with you if you make the distinction of thinking about it too much".

Second on this list, Bad Boy Bubby, was one inflicted on me shared with me by [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION]. Premise of the film is this guy basically spends his entire life imprisoned in a one-room apartment with his mom, until he eventually ends up murdering his parents (his creepy, nasty, drunk dad just shows up one day), and then experiences life on the outside. The first ten minutes of that movie will literally break your soul.

Speaking of soul breaking! That would bring us to number three on my list of horrible things that should probably be watched by no one: A Serbian Film. Yes, that is, in fact, the name of the movie. Described by this random dude on Complex as having the dubious honor of managing to "[walk] the fine line between vile exploitation and psychologically devastating horror", while still making "The Human Centipede seems like a lighthearted comedy", A Serbian Film is pretty much the worst thing ever. I mean, I'm sure actual snuff would probably be worse, but only because the suffering is actual as opposed to vicarious. This movie is the kind of experience that will make you say, "You know what? What was I trying to prove and to whom? Fuck it. I will watch adorable cat videos until faith in humanity no longer seems like a insidious form of mass delusion!"

In addition to these films, other cinematic experiences that Rex is Similarly Not Down With? Glad you asked!

1. Irreversible
  2. Eraserhead
  3. The Goonies (I have never and will never watch this movie because I don't like that cave thing. Fuck that noise.)

Nicodemus

That would bring us to number three on my list of horrible things that should probably be watched by no one: A Serbian Film. Yes, that is, in fact, the name of the movie. Described by this random dude on Complex as having the dubious honor of managing to "[walk] the fine line between vile exploitation and psychologically devastating horror", while still making "The Human Centipede seems like a lighthearted comedy", A Serbian Film is pretty much the worst thing ever. I mean, I'm sure actual snuff would probably be worse, but only because the suffering is actual as opposed to vicarious. This movie is the kind of experience that will make you say, "You know what? What was I trying to prove and to whom? Fuck it. I will watch adorable cat videos until faith in humanity no longer seems like a insidious form of mass delusion!"
Sounds like the perfect choice for a movie evening with friends.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (2015), and I only saw the trailer.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like the perfect choice for a movie evening with friends.

Coincidentally, the first time I saw that movie was with a group of friends who are also pretty big horror buffs. We'd all heard about it before (and seem to recall the host may have actually seen it already and was just trolling the rest of us), but hadn't watched it yet. Hyperbole aside for a minute, it's a smart movie from the respect that there are definite moments of pitch black humor where the film takes just long enough of a pause to wink at you before plummeting into some other act of extreme depravity. It definitely achieves a degree of high-concept, metacommentary that gives you a sense of what someone like von Trier might have been going for with all those gratuitous shots of Shia Lebeouf junk.

ETA:

Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (2015), and I only saw the trailer.

Ill see your Mall Cop and raise you a Ridiculous 6.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watch A LOT of horror. The only film/show that has had the distinction of giving me nightmares as an adult was the White Bear episode of Black Mirror. That show, generally speaking, ranks pretty high as "shit that will fuck with you if you make the distinction of thinking about it too much".

Out of all of the episodes of BM, "White Bear" is the episode that sticks with me the most. There are some other really provocative episodes (including the Christmas special)... but it's so odd... White Bear started feeling just rather exploitative and then of course spins around to, well, actually being exploitative but in a completely different direction than I had originally perceived. It still eats at me.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[*]Eraserhead
Oh, nope nope nope. Never watching that again. The only good thing I can say about that movie is that it gave me a glimpse of what it might be like to suffer from psychosis.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Just the one scene from Running Scared with the pedophiles... Gave me the heebie jeebies

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Out of all of the episodes of BM, "White Bear" is the episode that sticks with me the most. There are some other really provocative episodes (including the Christmas special)... but it's so odd... White Bear started feeling just rather exploitative and then of course spins around to, well, actually being exploitative but in a completely different direction than I had originally perceived. It still eats at me.

I think it's because I'm someone who has dealt with issues of mental illness at various points in my past, so the idea of inflicting harm on the sanctity of someone's mind like that is just...idk. Even in the worst experiences, you can still be free within your own head, but if you're robbed even of that? I think it would be pretty accurate to describe the episode as a state-sponsored, cottage industry built on the back of repeatedly gang-raping one woman for sport. With selfies!

On a semi-related note, I have a lot of friends who are veterans, and showed a couple of them Black Mirror. Almost to a man, they tapped out after that first episode. The one that didn't had to take a pause to watch a Bourne Identity film to restore his Freedom-loving inner equilibrium. Something about that episode utterly fucks with their conditioning, and just sends them into this intense helpless, man-rage that would be funny if they weren't so upset by it. It's such a consistent response that I have to imagine that seeing the British Head of Government being forced to fuck a pig is just waaayyyyy too close to the idea of the Commander in Chief having to do the same, which I guess is effectively tantamount to the idea of America itself being defiled or something. Honestly, that's just speculative as none of them have been able to give me a more reasoned response to why it was so upsetting other than, "Don't bring this fucked up shit around here again." :shrug:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, nope nope nope. Never watching that again. The only good thing I can say about that movie is that it gave me a glimpse of what it might be like to suffer from psychosis.

Yeah, Eraserhead is definitely a big, ol' bag of cannot even.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's because I'm someone who has dealt with issues of mental illness at various points in my past, so the idea of inflicting harm on the sanctity of someone's mind like that is just...idk. Even in the worst experiences, you can still be free within your own head, but if you're robbed even of that? I think it would be pretty accurate to describe the episode as a state-sponsored, cottage industry built on the back of repeatedly gang-raping one woman for sport. With selfies!

Yeah, that's a good way to say it.

I think what had balls was not stacking the deck but making the victim into

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

What happens in the White Bear episode of Black Mirror? Sounds like it might be scary.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What happens in the White Bear episode of Black Mirror? Sounds like it might be scary.

It's described on Wikipedia, but it's one of those that, if you ever plan to watch, it's better just to watch it rather than have it ruined by a description.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's described on Wikipedia, but it's one of those that, if you ever plan to watch, it's better just to watch it rather than have it ruined by a description.

Damn, I don't think it's on Netflix Instant anymore.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Crap. I think that's where I saw the whole series (aside from the Christmas episode -- I had to search online for a free stream of that one). It's possible to find free streams of the series, i'm sure; the quality probably just won't be as high.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Do you have the Hola add on for Google chrome? If you use chrome that is.

If so get it, and set it to UK because it's still on Netflix here.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Never can I remember that movie scared me
Only a book when she cooked a person

Qre:us

Love Black Mirror, it's part dark comedy (the wit is impeccable, when it's there), a dash of wry observations, and a whole heap load of social commentary on humans interaction, consumption, and dependency on technology/social media, in its many forms/outlets. So intelligent and relevant! Love the whole angle of, 'let's just take this to its logical (extreme) conclusion...and see what that looks like!'

This, what Jen said below, is exactly it. You can't give away the plot without messing with the punchline. Just go in with a clean slate, and let the story (each episode is a self-contained story) do to you, what it will/what you took away.

I highly recommend it. It's not scary but a mindfuck.

Crap. I think that's where I saw the whole series (aside from the Christmas episode -- I had to search online for a free stream of that one). It's possible to find free streams of the series, i'm sure; the quality probably just won't be as high.

I think I saw pretty much all the episodes on good ol' Youtube. It's likely still all on there, but can't guarantee quality. Ironic, given the first episode. Or, not....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heaven help me, I might try watching a few minutes of A Serbian Film.
Or maybe not.

I did find this useful collection which could act as a shopping list for the crazier among us:
The 50 Most Disturbing Movies of All Time | Complex

"Audition" and "Requiem for a Dream" made their top ten.

Maybe I'll watch the original Funny Games instead.