• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies That Still Scared You Weeks After Viewing

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heaven help me, I might try watching a few minutes of A Serbian Film.
Or maybe not.
I will not be watching that, ever. Just reading about it made me ill.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know, I have to wonder about the mental state of the people who write movies like A Serbian Film or Human Centipede. Or the people who are involved in the making of them. I mean, duh, the movies aren't real. But how do they reconcile themselves to the subject matter? I know I couldn't be involved in the making of any of those films, for any amount of money. I'm not sure how I'd be able to live with myself.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, I have to wonder about the mental state of the people who write movies like A Serbian Film or Human Centipede. Or the people who are involved in the making of them. I mean, duh, the movies aren't real. But how do they reconcile themselves to the subject matter? I know I couldn't be involved in the making of any of those films, for any amount of money. I'm not sure how I'd be able to live with myself.

Yeah... considering how much time and energy and money you have to invest to put a movie like that together. I don't understand the point of why Tom Six is doing a third, except perhaps trying to make his movies like a centipede (apparently the plot moves from one movie to the next to the next). I will say, watching HC2, I thought it was just a big huge FU to the fanbase that might have enjoyed the first one... I honestly felt like he was making fun of them, especially with the ending. [The first one sucked too. I happened to walk in when someone else was watching it, and was just like wtf? It wasn't just horrific, it was bad/stupid from a plot/character behavior POV.]

I wouldn't want to be in those movies either.

I remember getting into comics, though in the 80's, and there was a huge current of gore/horror mags (Fangoria?), its own little industry of publishing and movies and whatever else. I was never really into that and had trouble understanding the excitement of the fan base.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Meh.. I rarely encountered movies that scared me.

I started watching horror movies at a young age of 5, and I watched those movies after midnight too. I guess I have de-sensitized myself to scary movies, so no matter what movies I watched, it doesn't really scare me.

á´…eparted

passages
The Skeleton Key.

I was in a really bad head-space at the time which made it a lot worse, but I still would have been very messed up from it regardless.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I will not be watching that, ever. Just reading about it made me ill.

Yes, that's straight horror, not horror as genre.

Wow. Did a quick scan of Wiki page and enough words popped out for me to consider bleaching my eyeballs.

Qre:us

Or maybe not.

I did find this useful collection which could act as a shopping list for the crazier among us:
The 50 Most Disturbing Movies of All Time | Complex

"Audition" and "Requiem for a Dream" made their top ten.

Maybe I'll watch the original Funny Games instead.

Great find!!

I've been thinking about what makes a movie "disturbing" for me, and I was looking through the list, and there are quite a few that I've watched, but I can't recall any one *scene* that imprinted in my mind, for a lot of them. Which...is disturbing....about what it perhaps says about my mind and how it interprets and reacts to things. Threshold of "disturbing", as it were.

I had watched A Serbian Film years ago, and for the life of me, I can't remember any one scene that stood out as truly horrific or memorable due to its horrific-ness. I vaguely remember a scene where

I think that's the thing about this film; it's that it is so gory, without very little exploration of the human pyche, that it all just melds into one giant gore-fest, which can be easily forgettable, for me.

Mental exercise

Of the top ten, I've watched, what I can recall of those films:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Love Black Mirror, it's part dark comedy (the wit is impeccable, when it's there), a dash of wry observations, and a whole heap load of social commentary on humans interaction, consumption, and dependency on technology/social media, in its many forms/outlets. So intelligent and relevant! Love the whole angle of, 'let's just take this to its logical (extreme) conclusion...and see what that looks like!'

This, what Jen said below, is exactly it. You can't give away the plot without messing with the punchline. Just go in with a clean slate, and let the story (each episode is a self-contained story) do to you, what it will/what you took away.

I highly recommend it. It's not scary but a mindfuck.

I thought this was a really eloquent send up of that show. I remember thinking a couple of times that watching Black Mirror now must have been what watching Twilight Zone in the 60s must've been like. Similarly, there may be something of a double edge sword to just how impeccably that show manages to capture the zeitgeist in that--like TZ--some episodes may age better than others. It'll be something interesting to rewatch 10 years from now.

Or maybe not.

I'd tell you there's no need to be a hero, but honestky, if you're gonna do it, might as well. :shrug:

You and I have had convos elsewhere about how 2015 has been shaping up to be a pretty great year for horror. We have The Witch in theaters soon, which was up there with It Follows as one of the top rated horror films of all time on Metacritic). I'm also looking forward to seeing Goodnight, Mommy, which is an Austrian joint that I think debuted in North America at Toronto. Trailers have a Jacobs Ladder meets Funny Games feel to it with an Oedipal twist just to keep shit interesting.

Watch here:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, nope nope nope. Never watching that again. The only good thing I can say about that movie is that it gave me a glimpse of what it might be like to suffer from psychosis.

Eraserhead is an interesting take on fatherhood, for sure.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
"Whatever happened to Baby Jane" with Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. It's more creepy than scary and it's not the movie but the actresses. Both of them scare me; they've got those creepy Steve Buscemi eyes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love Steve Buscemi. :D

But yeah, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? was freaky. I always remember the part where Bette Davis serves Joan Crawford her dead bird under a covered platter.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great find!!

I've been thinking about what makes a movie "disturbing" for me, and I was looking through the list, and there are quite a few that I've watched, but I can't recall any one *scene* that imprinted in my mind, for a lot of them. Which...is disturbing....about what it perhaps says about my mind and how it interprets and reacts to things. Threshold of "disturbing", as it were.

I had watched A Serbian Film years ago, and for the life of me, I can't remember any one scene that stood out as truly horrific or memorable due to its horrific-ness. I vaguely remember a scene where

I think that's the thing about this film; it's that it is so gory, without very little exploration of the human pyche, that it all just melds into one giant gore-fest, which can be easily forgettable, for me.

I don't know if this was run of the mill internet tough guy stuff or if you actually meant it. If you were being serious here, I think it says more about you than the movie lol.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
"Whatever happened to Baby Jane" with Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. It's more creepy than scary and it's not the movie but the actresses. Both of them scare me; they've got those creepy Steve Buscemi eyes.

Yesss .... Creepy movie and creepy(-looking) actresses. It's their huge, wide eyes with lots of white around the pupils. Those eyes plus the lighting, shot in black and white: creeeeepy.

For me, that scene of them on the beach, at the end, creeps me out the most.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It's not a movie, but the theme from "Unsolved Mysteries" in combination with Robert Stack's voice gives me creepy chills, and when it was running on TV, I couldn't watch it when alone in the house. That music gives me the willies even today.

Qre:us

I don't know if this was run of the mill internet tough guy stuff or if you actually meant it. If you were being serious here, I think it says more about you than the movie lol.

No, seriously, I can't remember any particularly horrific scenes. I watched it a few years ago, and I do watch a lot of horror and gore, so maybe it just meshed into one giant bloody blob. I remember thinking it was utterly stupid, though! Which might be why I tuned it out, on some level.

I am quite puzzled by why I can't really recall it!

E.g., I can still vividly recall Rosemary's Baby, and how disturbed I was by the whole vibe of the movie, the mood. It lingered with me, for days. And there was no explicit gore. Just...the anticipation...the build....

I'm trying to find other movies in the same vein. And, A Serbian Film is so not it.

I think there's something to be said for subtlety, and the art of a mindfuck, through taking your fear on an emotional journey. Not just a visual journey.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haven't watched Rosemary's Baby for years, but yes, talk about the slow build and the creepy mood/ambiance... And yeah, there really isn't a lot of overt crap going on. But lots of surreal unease.