• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why has no one every told me about Taiga dramas!!??

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
For the uninitiated: these are annual period dramas produced by and aired on the Japanese national tv channel NHK.

I love historical fiction. I love long series. I can't believe it took me this long to discover the existence of Taiga dramas.

Basically, each year they come out with a drama series that follows the life of a historical figure in Japan history. Most of them tend to be political, patriotic, a bit educational, and since this is a national thing they usually have a great cast and amazing production value. The best thing about it is that each drama is around 50 episodes, so that's A LOT of hours.

A few of them are available with English subtitles from gooddrama.net. I've been watching Shinsengumi! and this is exactly my kind of thing. They do take a few liberties, but for the most part it's extremely well-researched and historically accurate, which is something I really appreciate. On top of that they manage to add in a healthy dose of good drama elements. Characters feel real and relatable. A very decent script with engaging political intrigue. It keeps a good balance between accuracy and good story-telling.

If you don't know any Japanese history at all, you might be a bit lost, but if you like historical fiction, this might be just the thing for you!

So, I feel like I've struck gold! :bunnyglee:

Anyone else?

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looks interesting. I'm going to watch the first 3-4 episodes of Atsuhime over the next week and then decide if I want to see the whole thing.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Looks interesting. I'm going to watch the first 3-4 episodes of Atsuhime over the next week and then decide if I want to see the whole thing.

I've actually seen a few episodes of Atsuhime a while ago on cable, not realizing that it was a Taiga drama. From what I've seen it's very good!

I'm planning to watch Atsuhime from the beginning once I'm done with Yae no Sakura :blush:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watch a lot of old-school slice-of-life anime, and they're usually watching these on their cartoon TV's, now I get to watch. Thanks for bringing this to my awareness.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I watch a lot of old-school slice-of-life anime, and they're usually watching these on their cartoon TV's, now I get to watch. Thanks for bringing this to my awareness.
They're usually (very) slow but absolutely awesome!

:wubbie: