• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jupiter Ascending

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I caught it on DVD a while back. It was very disappointing, and could have been so much more. Subpar casting for the leads hurt.

Speed Racer is great (right behind the first Matrix for them in my book). I still can't believe it didn't do well theatrically.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I caught it on DVD a while back. It was very disappointing, and could have been so much more. Subpar casting for the leads hurt.

Yeah. Kunis isn't that great of an actress -- I think I only liked her in Black Swan (because it fit the one note she can do well) and otherwise she just doesn't have much range. Tatum can be good depending on the movie (re: Foxcatcher) but he ended up getting star power and shopped around purely on that basis for too many movies.

But the three "Lannisters" (mua ha ha) are all really decent actors in comparison -- Redmayne, Middleton, and Booth.

I did really enjoy the Terry Gilliam cameo.

Speed Racer is great (right behind the first Matrix for them in my book). I still can't believe it didn't do well theatrically.

Someone else here also had a great opinion of Speed Racer. I'll have to check it out.

I think it was probably because (1) too many bombs by them and (2) property just didn't have as much appeal to today's crowd.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think if everyone had played it kind of campy (like Redmayne did -- he was so over the top) and then Tatum -- he has silly pointy ears and there are so many dog jokes for god's sake -- and the thing with the bees, and reducing folks to liquid life, and so much crazy stuff.... then it might as worked as some kind of buckaroo bonsai or Flash Gordon style flick. I think it was really a death knell for them to go for a more serious tone / have the actors play it so straight for large portions. I wish they had just had fun with it instead of trying to make it "a big deal."

I think that was it. It just takes itself so seriously, like the stakes are so epic. By contrast, Speed Racer, for the most part, didn't take itself seriously at all. It was basically a live action cartoon, and that worked.

Yeah, my rewatchable Wachowski movies are:

- Bound
- The Matrix
- The Matrix Reloaded
- Cloud Atlas

I knew they made a movie before the Matrix but I couldn't remember what it was. I'll have to check out Bound sometime.

Cloud Atlas still can make me cry in spots, it's flawed but I don't know how to correct the flaws -- it works together to be something larger than the sum of its parts (but hey I think that is the point of it as well).

I haven't seen Speed Racer yet, and still haven't bothered with episode 5+ of Sense8.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't really care about the source material at all, but I checked it out on TV based on word of mouth and really liked it.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It was all very cliche and predictable.
Some elements were interesting, but the whole portrayal was kind of cheesy.
The villain was over the top. So exaggerative. Like an old stereotypical cartoon villain.