• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many people here...

Do you play a musical instrument?

• Total voters

Langrenus

...play (musical) instruments?

I really can't be arsed to produce a list of instruments, since someone will just complain that they play something random that's not on the list...so details would be interesting, perhaps there's a type correlation somewhere here (or possibly not).

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
I started off playing piano at 5 ot 6, but dropped it a couple of years later.

Starting playing guitar at 12.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
When I was younger I learned piano for many years. In my early teens I took up guitar.

I have been saying for the last couple of years that I would love to learn the violin. I just need to get around to it...

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
Classical piano, trumpet, guitar, cello, violin, and harp.

Although I can usually make noise on just about anything handed to me. :D

Langrenus

Suppose I should chip in to my own thread.

Played electric guitar for about 5-6 years, although you wouldn't know it to hear me play and I still can't improvise. Not really sure why I carry on, but I do.

Congratulations on being able to get a noise out of a musical instrument raincrow ;)

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
I used to, I played about 6 instruments pretty proficiently--but ATM I don't anymore, maybe I'll pick something up in the future again!!?

let's see, I played:
trumpet
guitar
bass
percussion
baritone
piano
+random stuff--but not as well :p

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I played the clarinet when I was 13. I had to quit, because it just wasn't giving me the satisfaction I had hoped for...

I recently have wanted to learn how to play the fiddle, though.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I only play with knives and other sharp instruments...

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I made a few short tries at learning to play instruments, but stopped after awhile.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I was taught classical piano when I was a kid, played for several years, had to move and couldn't take the piano. I would love to play again.

I have always had a thing for the drums, too. I would love to learn. My brother played in a band, but we didn't live together long enough for him to teach me how to play.

And the cello's a beautiful instrument.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I played piano for a few years, probably the ages of about 12-15 or so. It didn't get easy so I quit. I hate that. I have a great ear and I could have been very good but I was lazy.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I play piano but it's been a few years since i so much as touched one, so I chose "used to".

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Question: Define play? Professional, Amateur or both? Played well, or just good enough to suit our own personal preferences?:thinking:

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I play piano but it's been a few years since i so much as touched one, so I chose "used to".
. . . same here, but with the guitar rather than the piano.

Oddly, I propped it up in the foyer a week ago intending to take it down the street for a cleaning, tunning, and stringing. Now, I think I will actually get that done today. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have played piano since I was in first grade and took bona fide lessons through high school... Then my natural tendency to improvise rather than practicing led me in other directions. I sight-read very well and play regularly [without using music, I play by ear] with a worship team at church; sometimes we do coffee shop things on the fly, covering benign secular songs from the 70's and 80's and up, that's a lot of fun. I have the ability and talent to go pro, probably, if I wanted to dedicate the time to do so (it would mean a few hours of practice a day and just listening and emulating lots of different music, to build up my mental riff/pattern library), but I have too many responsibilities and not enough desire to put in that much time right now.

In school, I "officially" played clarinet, oboe, and xylophone. Musical instruments were not too hard for me intuitively, it's the practice part that always got in my way -- much of the skill comes from repetition and integrating body and mind together, laying down the physical/kinetic memory as well as maintaining finger or lip strength (to name two).

The one instrument I wish I could play is acoustic guitar, and I guess I could learn it, but it's very different mentally than the piano and demands a lot more coordination from my left hand (for fingering purposes)... if you start a string instrument when young (before age 12), your brain will allocate extra memory/processing area to the left hand, but as an adult you have to work with what you have.

Methofelis

MBTI Type
INTP
I used to be in the marching band, and I played the drums for years with my friends. I had to give it up when I seriously damaged my shoulder a while back.
I would never had chosen to willingly give up playing.

Langrenus

Question: Define play? Professional, Amateur or both? Played well, or just good enough to suit our own personal preferences?:thinking:

I suppose it's a fair question - any and all of the above, basically. To me "play" implies a certain base level of competence, but I think it's fair to say that most people have a decent enough ear to know when they're actually playing something musical or just hitting/playing random notes (?), so personal preference is a good enough indicator.

I'm certainly not looking for virtuosos (although it would be interesting if there are any)

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
I suppose it's a fair question - any and all of the above, basically. To me "play" implies a certain base level of competence, but I think it's fair to say that most people have a decent enough ear to know when they're actually playing something musical or just hitting/playing random notes (?), so personal preference is a good enough indicator.

I'm certainly not looking for virtuosos (although it would be interesting if there are any)

Hmmm. In that case, I've played cello at various festivals, recorded tracks for albums, done gigs in bars, been on tour, etc. [Oddly enough in a few weeks I'll be touring in Iceland and the Faroes]. Dunno that that counts as professional though, since I just see it as an easy way to travel -- although a friend of mine once said, "Did you get paid to play your instrument? -- Well, then you're a professional in my book." :D

Trumpet was my first instrument [picked it up in the 6th grade, got a full scholarship and played through my junior year in college], followed by classical piano when I was about 16/17. Self-taught on piano and cello. *shrugs* Kinda disagree with Jen about the left hand dexterity thing and age -- I had no real trouble making the transition from one instrument to the other.

So why the interest, Langrenus? Looking to start an MBTI-based band or something? ;)

Langrenus

I think recording and touring definitely lifts you to the level of talented amateur at the very least - you're not a pro until you get to pass a list of demands to the management of the places you play :) I'm with you on the dexterity thing - picked up guitar way after the age of 12 and I can move my hands alright. Just tone deaf, which is a slight problem.

An MBTI-based band would be...interesting. A wild ENFP (or Logan) on lead vocals to get the crowd going, some random combination on bass, lead and drums (I should probably put more effort into thinking about this, but I'll leave that to others...it's Friday evening), and a skulking recluse to pull the strings behind the scenes (BlueWing would do?)

MBTIc World Tour 2007 here we come