• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Play An Instrument? Sing? Write Songs? Click Here!

Spruce Bringsteen

Couldn't find a thread for Musicians so I'm starting one.
Talk about your music, post your music. Talk about other people's music, post their music.
This page is for Musicians/Song Writers.

Ahoy!

Spruce Bringsteen

I play guitar mainly and sing. I have a few other instruments, harmonicas, pennywhistle (irish music is awesome and fun), an ocarina (also fun). Just those few at the moment.

I started out playing bass (playing Sting's bass stuff in The Police a lot) then moved on to guitar. I'd like to learn to play piano (as well as other instruments), I can tickle the ivories a bit ;) but the farthest I ever got was learning to play "Our House" by Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

I enjoy writing songs a lot. I have a Tascam 4 track recorder that I need a few more things for and then I will be able to record music on it.

Right now I'm learning "Yesterday" by The Beatles and plan on playing it at the open mic nearby.It will be my first real performance, thought I've played in front of people before but I've never sung in front of people.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I play electric guitar. Mostly lead guitar kind of stuff. I like shredding all over the fretboard, mainly pentatonic scale.
I need to buy me some loop station, so I can play a rythm riff and then improvize over it.
I can easily come up with a song using chords, but that's not really what I'm after. I like fast arpeggio's and that kind of thing. In terms of what I like to play, my favorite musicians are Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman.
I tried forming a band but our bassist wasn't any good and the drummer was psychotic (he would run off every 5 minutes). And I lacked the technical skills at the time. I still dream of doing something with it. I have a talent for finding odd riffs that work. I hate everything that sounds generic.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I play guitar and sing. I also mess around with the Appalachian dulcimer.

LanaBanana

MBTI Type
XXFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I play piano since I was 3th grade, so I'm currently finishing my 8th year of learning. I love it, but I'm not that amazing.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1)+2) I used to play piano and percussion -- haven't played piano since high school, and haven't done percussion things since I was in my university's drumline four years ago. I expect to return to both of those someday.

3) I sing -- great pitch (not perfect, but close), and a pure, choirboy-ish sort of tone. Going to join a choir this summer, where hopefully I'll get better with technique (as I'm currently self-taught and REALLY not singing up to my full potential -- which is why I always chicken out and delete my posts in the singing thread).

4) I have been teaching myself how to play the mandolin, and will probably start taking lessons in the next few weeks -- talking logistics with several teachers now. Hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone and tie this into vocal improvement, and see if my teacher can help me adapt my already high and pure voice to a different style of high and pure singing.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I play guitar and sing. I also mess around with the Appalachian dulcimer.
Ooh -- awesome. You should post some of that!

Spruce Bringsteen

I play electric guitar. Mostly lead guitar kind of stuff. I like shredding all over the fretboard, mainly pentatonic scale.
I need to buy me some loop station, so I can play a rythm riff and then improvize over it.
I can easily come up with a song using chords, but that's not really what I'm after. I like fast arpeggio's and that kind of thing. In terms of what I like to play, my favorite musicians are Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman.
I tried forming a band but our bassist wasn't any good and the drummer was psychotic (he would run off every 5 minutes). And I lacked the technical skills at the time. I still dream of doing something with it. I have a talent for finding odd riffs that work. I hate everything that sounds generic.

I like some shredding stuff too, when I mean shredding I mostly mean stuff like Alex Skolnick (Testament), Dave Mustaine, Chris Oliva (Savatage), Iron Maiden. I don't really like super shreddy stuff like Ingwie Malmsteen, I do like Jason Becker and Steve Vai though but not too into the super shredding. More ofa 70's type soloer myself like David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore, Uli Roth, Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarists, etc.
I definitely everything that sounds generic too, and rehashed.
Yeah those loops pedals can be great for learning.
I was in a band, didn't work out, lead singer/guitarist was a junkie.

Spruce Bringsteen

1)+2) I used to play piano and percussion -- haven't played piano since high school, and haven't done percussion things since I was in my university's drumline four years ago. I expect to return to both of those someday.

3) I sing -- great pitch (not perfect, but close), and a pure, choirboy-ish sort of tone. Going to join a choir this summer, where hopefully I'll get better with technique (as I'm currently self-taught and REALLY not singing up to my full potential -- which is why I always chicken out and delete my posts in the singing thread).

4) I have been teaching myself how to play the mandolin, and will probably start taking lessons in the next few weeks -- talking logistics with several teachers now. Hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone and tie this into vocal improvement, and see if my teacher can help me adapt my already high and pure voice to a different style of high and pure singing.

Anyone feel free to post your music/you playing it.

I love high male voices, not sure if they still call it tenor or not. I am in that range, I really want to learn to sing. My dad's side of the family is all musical. I took 1 singing lesson and introduction basically but I couldn't afford it but she said I had a nice high voice. Hoping I can develop it so it can take me places. I love singing stuff like "Don't Worry Baby" by The Beach Boys, Paul McCartney stuff, Neil Young "I Believe In You" etc, Queen "Nevermore", and trying to sing Brad Delp stuff from Boston, what golden pipes that guy had.

What kind of stuff do you sing? I love listening to choir music BTW, I'm not religious but gospel stuff just kicks some serious butt.

W

WhoCares

I play harp I like baroque and folk music mainly. I have a folk harp that floor standing but nowhere near the size of a grand. I'm fairly shit at harp, but I love it anyway and dont ever see myself doing 'musical stuff' on any level than a hobby. But, its my sanity and my peaceful time. So I drag it out every other day and just enjoy.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i sing and like to write. i can play the drums, and would love to get better. i mess around on the guitar and piano. music is a big part of my life.

L

LadyLazarus

Yes, guitar.

I haven't played in a few years because I decided to sell my soul in order to do well/ solely focus on school. Also, my guitar broke. I plan to buy a new one and get back into it as soon as summer vacation begins.

I also took a bit of piano and violin a few years back, I've forgotten most/all of it though. :laugh:

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I sing and write lyrics :) , I can play a guitar, but it's not so good, I learned to play the piano a few years, but I haven't played for really long time

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can play bass well, maybe not like Flea or John Entwistle, but well enough--maybe if I practiced more often. Guitar less so, keyboards just a little. I can also keep a solid beat with drums.

I can't read music but I have a talent for playing by ear.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone feel free to post your music/you playing it.

I love high male voices, not sure if they still call it tenor or not. I am in that range, I really want to learn to sing. My dad's side of the family is all musical. I took 1 singing lesson and introduction basically but I couldn't afford it but she said I had a nice high voice. Hoping I can develop it so it can take me places. I love singing stuff like "Don't Worry Baby" by The Beach Boys, Paul McCartney stuff, Neil Young "I Believe In You" etc, Queen "Nevermore", and trying to sing Brad Delp stuff from Boston, what golden pipes that guy had.

What kind of stuff do you sing? I love listening to choir music BTW, I'm not religious but gospel stuff just kicks some serious butt.
Ha, sorry, I forgot I had a less feminine avatar when I posted that. I'm female and I sing soprano -- I meant boyish in that when I sing in my church choir, I sound more like an 8-year-old boy soprano than a 23-year-old woman soprano.

I sang the solo part of "Prayer of the Venerable Bede" by Richard Proulx a few years ago -- this is the best recording I could find, so just imagine a much less throaty and vibrato-y voice singing it. (I'm still mad that no one recorded me when I sang it -- my voice cracked on the low C but I nailed it besides that!)

As of now, church stuff is pretty much all that I sing, but I would love to get more acquainted with jazz and bluegrass singing -- bluegrass as I get more acquainted with my mandolin!

I'll post myself singing and playing when I've learned something worth posting :ninja:

Edit: Closest approximation I've found to my voice is the singer of this 70s progressive rock band called National Health.
Vocals start about six minutes in? Her range is about the same as mine too.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I like some shredding stuff too, when I mean shredding I mostly mean stuff like Alex Skolnick (Testament), Dave Mustaine, Chris Oliva (Savatage), Iron Maiden. I don't really like super shreddy stuff like Ingwie Malmsteen, I do like Jason Becker and Steve Vai though but not too into the super shredding. More ofa 70's type soloer myself like David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore, Uli Roth, Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarists, etc.
I definitely everything that sounds generic too, and rehashed.
Yeah those loops pedals can be great for learning.
I was in a band, didn't work out, lead singer/guitarist was a junkie.

Yeah don't like super shreddy stuff either. When it gets to a point that it's superfast and technical it kind of loses its' melodic appeal (which is why I don't like Dream Theater that much, for instance). I like Jason Becker too and David Gilmoure.
This song portrays well what I like about electric guitar (melody, shredding etc all in one)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ha, sorry, I forgot I had a less feminine avatar when I posted that. I'm female and I sing soprano -- I meant boyish in that when I sing in my church choir, I sound more like an 8-year-old boy soprano than a 23-year-old woman soprano.

I sang the solo part of "Prayer of the Venerable Bede" by Richard Proulx a few years ago -- this is the best recording I could find, so just imagine a much less throaty and vibrato-y voice singing it. (I'm still mad that no one recorded me when I sang it -- my voice cracked on the low C but I nailed it besides that!)

As of now, church stuff is pretty much all that I sing, but I would love to get more acquainted with jazz and bluegrass singing -- bluegrass as I get more acquainted with my mandolin!

I'll post myself singing and playing when I've learned something worth posting :ninja:

Edit: Closest approximation I've found to my voice is the singer of this 70s progressive rock band called National Health.
Vocals start about six minutes in? Her range is about the same as mine too.

Do you like Curved Air?

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah don't like super shreddy stuff either. When it gets to a point that it's superfast and technical it kind of loses its' melodic appeal (which is why I don't like Dream Theater that much, for instance). I like Jason Becker too and David Gilmoure.
How about Alex Lifeson?