• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Confession

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I've recently started watching Australian Big Brother and I'm finding it really interesting. It's kind of like a live Sims, with the added bonus that you get to try to type the various people. I can analyze them to my heart's content without having to interact with them.

It's particularly interesting right now because the whole house is ganging up on an INTP for being too INTP. They're all whining about his being too analytical (watching them all the time, making them feel self-conscious) and not participating enough in the "life of the house", whatever that means. He's being especially badgered by an ESFX girl. He's completely playing it wrong as well. All he has to do is draw a distinction between analyzing and judging and he'd be home-free. Instead he's lapping up all this talk about how analytical he is and how that's just the way his brain works. He's actually bragging about how he can analyze people and make incredibly accurate predictions on how they'll act.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...He's completely playing it wrong as well. All he has to do is draw a distinction between analyzing and judging and he'd be home-free. Instead he's lapping up all this talk about how analytical he is and how that's just the way his brain works. He's actually bragging about how he can analyze people and make incredibly accurate predictions on how they'll act.
Perhaps he is enjoying the power he has by making everyone feel unsettled? He probably knows he could make that distinction but is having fun not doing it. Maybe he is enjoying seeing just how much ruckus he can cause without lifting a finger.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Perhaps he is enjoying the power he has by making everyone feel unsettled? He probably knows he could make that distinction but is having fun not doing it. Maybe he is enjoying seeing just how much ruckus he can cause without lifting a finger.

Maybe he was enjoying it initially, but after 45 mins of group badgering and multiple nominations I don't think he's enjoying it so much anymore. I don't think he has enough F savvy to disarm this situation. Okay, now he's crying a bit. Time for an Fe outburst. He's pretty drunk.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe he was enjoying it initially, but after 45 mins of group badgering and multiple nominations I don't think he's enjoying it so much anymore. I don't think he has enough F savvy to disarm this situation. Okay, now he's crying a bit. Time for an Fe outburst. He's pretty drunk.
:happy0065: Why do I get the feeling I would only enjoy watching the show if you were there?

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know which is more surprising, that the producers would cast an INTP or that an INTP would even apply for Big Brother. They are not allowed to read while in jail the house. That alone would make it sheer hell for an INTP. And then there's the lack of privacy.

Oh well, he's an instant out-group.

:happy0065: Why do I get the feeling I would only enjoy watching the show if you were there?
'Cause what really makes the Big Brother experience is the snark, a la MST3K. I used to read a forum that was dedicated to reality TV snark, and I was amused without even having to watch the show.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
INTPs always tout themselves as being social chameleons. If he was that intelligent and strategic, he would realize that he has to "play the game," so to speak. So either:

a) He's stupid
b) He's not an INTP
c) INTPs aren't necessarily the social chameleons that they say they are

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP

Gah, that was painful. I had to turn the volume town. Ever watch an INTP try to turn himself into an ESFP on the spot? They just asked him to let his guard down and tell them what was going on inside and he agreed to do it, only to spend about 3 minutes thinking about what he wanted to say (while they waited in silence). Then he didn't really say anything except that he was going to try to be a silly fuck for the rest of his stay and not think too much about anything and not care what anyone thinks about him. Even the irony of this could not ease the cringe factor.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
INTPs always tout themselves as being social chameleons. If he was that intelligent and strategic, he would realize that he has to "play the game," so to speak. So either:

a) He's stupid
b) He's not an INTP

My guess. However, it should be noted that he really has no "safe" place to evaluate his own behaviour from. Locked up with a bunch of screaming extroverts, knowing that even if you could conceivably get away from them you still have multiple cameras and an entire nation potentially watching you. They even have cameras in the toilet cubicle.

And I'm not totally convinced that INTPs are as effective at being social chameleons as they think they are. The INTPs I know seem to think that slouching and sticking their hands in their pockets is enough to conceal their freakish intellects.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
The 24/7 game shows like Survivor and Big Brother fascinate me because they show how hard it is to keep up a front when you're with a small group of people continuously for over a month. Contestants show some of their true selves whether they want to or not.

Langrenus

a) He's stupid
b) He's not an INTP

d) He's incredibly intelligent and playing a blinder of a strategy, one shining so brightly that nobody realises he's actually about to win
e) the pressure has got to him and he's falling back on his INTP-based instinctive abilities as an exercise in self-reassurance/self-validation

Given that this is a vaguely MBTI-based discussion, I wonder whether the tendency to rely on natural choice preferences would increase (pressure) or decrease (condensed social interactions bring about some kind of group harmonisation). I imagine the former?

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
d) He's incredibly intelligent and playing a blinder of a strategy, one shining so brightly that nobody realises he's actually about to win

I considered this too. If I were on one of those shows, I would go in being quiet, observant and polite. I would tell members of the household that I have a really difficult time opening up and trusting people. Then I would slowly pretend to start revealing myself. People love it when a closed-off person shows signs of changing. I might even reveal a tragic "secret" about my past to a few people in order to gain their trust.

Then once I had enough people in the palm of my hand, I'd fuck 'em all over, one by one. I'd manipulate other people into doing the dirty work for me, so no one would ever be able to trace any evil-doing back to me.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Given that this is a vaguely MBTI-based discussion, I wonder whether the tendency to rely on natural choice preferences would increase (pressure) or decrease (condensed social interactions bring about some kind of group harmonisation). I imagine the former?

If he is INTP, he'll be under significant stress. The first reaction will be to fall inward and embrace his dominant functions. That'll be it though, there is nothing deeper.

In the end, the stress will get to him and he'll start acting erratically. At this point, type loses a lot of it's meaning. It'll be "Fe" or "Se" or whatever theory you may believe in; but the short answer is that under stress, all types react erratically, not opposite to their nature.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
I considered this too. If I were on one of those shows, I would go in being quiet, observant and polite. I would tell members of the household that I have a really difficult time opening up and trusting people. Then I would slowly pretend to start revealing myself. People love it when a closed-off person shows signs of changing. I might even reveal a tragic "secret" about my past to a few people in order to gain their trust.

Then once I had enough people in the palm of my hand, I'd fuck 'em all over, one by one. I'd manipulate other people into doing the dirty work for me, so no one would ever be able to trace any evil-doing back to me.
If you can convince everyone that they are the only one close to you, you're golden! One Survivor winner had three people convinced that they were his primary ally. He was a brilliant con man.

I'd love to watch you play, notta. I'd really love to see if you could pull it off, 'cause I suspect it's easier said than done.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
If you can convince everyone that they are the only one close to you, you're golden! One Survivor winner had three people convinced that they were his primary ally. He was a brilliant con man.

Yes, I think that's an important part of it too.

I don't think you can underestimate the importance of sexuality either. I actually watched Big Brother: All-Stars, and I was really impressed by how Dr. Will was able to manipulate both the women and men just because of how charismatic and attractive he was. Even though everyone entered the house knowing just how manipulative he was, they still couldn't avoid being cast under his spell. It was really interesting to watch.

C.J.Woolf said:
I'd love to watch you play, notta. I'd really love to see if you could pull it off, 'cause I suspect it's easier said than done.

Of course. There is definitely a certain level of luck involved, especially at the beginning when I would be lying low. Also, I would have to be surrounded by the right types of people and hope that no one else is intelligent enough to pick up on my strategy.

The intovert in me would rather just sit back and watch other people go through the experience.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You're one spooky little chicky. :horor: I don't know if you could win me over, though, because I too have a hard time opening up and have some really tragic secrets. :cry:

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
You're one spooky little chicky. :horor: I don't know if you could win me over, though, because I too have a hard time opening up and have some really tragic secrets. :cry:

"Toonia, I know what it's like to feel like you don't have anyone to talk to--that no one understands you. I feel the same way. I sensed that there was something different about you when I met you. You're not like the others. I knew right away that if I was going to form a bond with anyone here, it would be with you. Being here has been really difficult for me. I've been really feeling down lately because. . . Please don't tell anyone this. I trust you. I've been feeling down because <insert fake secret here>. God, that was really hard for me to admit. Do you think it would be okay to come to you if I need someone to talk to? It would mean so much to me."

Langrenus

I think I'd probably be cynical enough to ignore most of the crap people came out with in a situation like this, so you'd have to hope there were no bitter INTJ's in the house to pull that strategy off notta

Of course, given the fact that they seem to insist on allowing the most annoying representatives of every nation into these bloody things you'd deserve a medal if you could keep the strategy up anyway. You just know you'd feel the need to snap at their idiocy...admit it... :)

Edit: above post was worrying...it had me going "eh? where did all this come from" for a half second or so. I'm ashamed of myself. And will endeavour to ignore anything you post, on any subject, henceforth and forthwith.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
"Toonia, I know what it's like to feel like you don't have anyone to talk to--that no one understands you. I feel the same way. I sensed that there was something different about you when I met you. You're not like the others. I knew right away that if I was going to form a bond with anyone here, it would be with you. Being here has been really difficult for me. I've been really feeling down lately because. . . Please don't tell anyone this. I trust you. I've been feeling down because <insert fake secret here>. God, that was really hard for me to admit. Do you think it would be okay to come to you if I need someone to talk to? It would mean so much to me."

Are you from Holland? So much cheese.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd pay to watch a game in which all the players are introverts with social skills and who are manipulative, calculating bastards. Who's in besides notta? I'd give it a try myself but I don't know how long I'd last.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I think I'd probably be cynical enough to ignore most of the crap people came out with in a situation like this, so you'd have to hope there were no bitter INTJ's in the house to pull that strategy off notta

Of course, there will be some cynics. There will also be people who are just around to make friends. I would do my best to at least be the type of person that people want to stick around because I can make humorous observations.

You just know you'd feel the need to snap at their idiocy...admit it... :)

In my head I'd be strangling them all, I'm sure.

Are you from Holland? So much cheese.

Yeah. That would work on some of the strong F types. . . ISFs definitely. But yeah. I wouldn't be able to gain someones trust with one conversation, especially because that wasn't even a conversation, it was just me talking! But it was just for the purpose of fun. I can't reveal my actual strategies. :thelook: