• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Transcendence (2014)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welp, here I've been waiting for this movie for some time.

I even actually cover my ears and close my eyes during the trailer(s) in the theater, which seem to show FAR too much and would be much better if they kept some of the plot hidden. (Unfortunately, I know more than I wanted to know.)

But it's Monday, and no reviews. They had reviews for Captain America 2 out a few weeks ahead of time, but then again all the reviews were good; and they're still dragging on this one. Hmmm.....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a big fan of Johnny Depp *and* Rebecca Hall.
(and of course a great supporting cast overall.)
I wanted to see them hit this one out of the park.

Pfister hasn't directed a movie before, although he's done some great cinematographical work. (uhh... is that a word?) Nolan is producing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cuurr-rap.

Currently at 22% on RT, out of ten reviews (only two are positive... and they are marginally positive, not thrilling positive). Sigh.

Looks like the big beef deals partly with the screenplay. Which is rather sad, since that was by Jack Paglen who supposedly was on "Black List" for this script and penned Prometheus 2 and the Battlestar Galactica movie? And also I've seen people saying Depp pretty much just phoned it in and Kate Mara was miscast, stranding Rebecca Hall looking for people to act against.

Futz.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Back to being a DP for Willy Pfister.

When vfx supes and DPs become directors, their careers really backfire. Jan De Bont, Stefen Fangmeier, John Bruno...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Back to being a DP for Willy Pfister.

When vfx supes and DPs become directors, their careers really backfire. Jan De Bont, Stefen Fangmeier, John Bruno...

Well, Jack Cardiff went on to get an Oscar nom, and Soddenfeld did well enough.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, Jack Cardiff went on to get an Oscar nom, and Soddenfeld did well enough.

Yeah, that's true. It's usually the special fx people who get to direct one movie and you never hear from them again as directors. Joe Johnston is pretty much the only exception.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, the pain... it's now at 14% (4/25 good/bad split).

How horrid.

In his directorial debut, ace cinematographer Wally Pfister remains a distinctive visual stylist, but Transcendence's thought-provoking themes exceed the movie's narrative grasp.

One reviewer even gave it a new title: "The Computer Wore Johnny Depp's Tennis Shoes". (Hmm. Well, I actually liked those Kurt Russell / Dexter Riley movies! But... different genre. They weren't supposed to be high drama.)

EDIT: Now I'm laughing. Down to 12% -- a 5/38 split. DOH.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, the pain... it's now at 14% (4/25 good/bad split).

How horrid.

One reviewer even gave it a new title: "The Computer Wore Johnny Depp's Tennis Shoes". (Hmm. Well, I actually liked those Kurt Russell / Dexter Riley movies! But... different genre. They weren't supposed to be high drama.)

EDIT: Now I'm laughing. Down to 12% -- a 5/38 split. DOH.

Can't wait to see it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll redbox it.

Saving my money for the May movies, I guess.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll redbox it.

Saving my money for the May movies, I guess.

The movie I'm anticipating the most this summer is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I'll take another one for the team at 7:00 PST

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disappointing. I expected it to be painfully or hilariously bad...it was just average.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Disappointing. I expected it to be painfully or hilariously bad...it was just average.

That's what I thought. It's either dumb and thinks it's smart or just boring.

Btw, I knew from the beginning that this is going to be a flop, like most pseudo-science-sci-fi movies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Was it better or worse than the remake of Total Recall?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looking on the bright side -- it's still 6-7% points above "God's Not Dead" on the tomatometer.

Nara

MBTI Type
WILD
That's what I thought. It's either dumb and thinks it's smart or just boring.

Btw, I knew from the beginning that this is going to be a flop, like most pseudo-science-sci-fi movies.

That's the reason I don't know what to expect with Nolan's Interstellar even if he can't do wrong. (Is there a thread about Nolan mbti type ?)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
... (Is there a thread about Nolan mbti type ?)

There's been discussion about it but I don't remember where. Usually centers around INTP and INTJ. He might have even claimed to be an INTJ, but I don't recall right now.

I don't know what to expect from Interstellar either. Great cast, again. At least Jonathan and Christopher Nolan wrote the script -- I think that's an important factor, Jonathan usually knocks stuff out of the park and has been very successful in that vein.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Was it better or worse than the remake of Total Recall?

I haven't seen it yet. :newwink: However I saw the Total Recall remake and it was still ok I guess. I've got a glimpse on the Schwarzenegger movie but it looked awful from what I've seen.