• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Transcendence (2014)

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
There's been discussion about it but I don't remember where. Usually centers around INTP and INTJ. He might have even claimed to be an INTJ, but I don't recall right now.

I don't know what to expect from Interstellar either. Great cast, again. At least Jonathan and Christopher Nolan wrote the script -- I think that's an important factor, Jonathan usually knocks stuff out of the park and has been very successful in that vein.

I actually thought INFJ. Won't argue why now :unsure:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't seen it yet. :newwink: However I saw the Total Recall remake and it was still ok I guess. I've got a glimpse on the Schwarzenegger movie but it looked awful from what I've seen.

I actually liked the Director's Cut of the remake as a total picture more than the original -- but I think some of the scenes in the original were better.

Anyway, I knew U saw TR remake, so I was asking him to compare.

So? If you want to see the movie, why do reviews matter?

Money.

And I'm not going by scores per se, I actually read a number of reviews that I can then evaluate the criticisms based on my personal likes/dislikes and determine whether it's worth the investment for me personally to spend $10-17 in the theater to see something now, or if I should just wait a few months and redbox it.

I've occasionally gone against my better judgment and seen a movie anyway... then wished I had saved my money.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I actually liked the Director's Cut of the remake as a total picture more than the original -- but I think some of the scenes in the original were better.

Anyway, I knew U saw TR remake, so I was asking him to compare.

I only know that Hank from Breaking Bad has a brief appearance in the original movie. That's why I watched some scenes on youtube. Schwarzenegger's accent is funny enough to make it comedy out of it. :D
Edit: It has a 7,5 on IMDB. Not bad.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I only know that Hank from Breaking Bad has a brief appearance in the original movie. That's why I watched some scenes on youtube. Schwarzenegger's accent is funny enough to make it comedy out of it. :D
Edit: It has a 7,5 on IMDB. Not bad.

I consider it a camp classic -- it's hard to take super-serious, swarzenegger just isn't that great of an actor, and here he kind of plays things up a bit. There's also some over the top scenes (such as the femme-on-femme fight). Ronny Cox isn't exactly subtle either.

But there are some great reveals, like when you find out what's going on (it's a game within a game within a game kind of thing). Or when you finally meet the rebel leader. etc.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I consider it a camp classic -- it's hard to take super-serious, swarzenegger just isn't that great of an actor, and here he kind of plays things up a bit. There's also some over the top scenes (such as the femme-on-femme fight). Ronny Cox isn't exactly subtle either.

But there are some great reveals, like when you find out what's going on (it's a game within a game within a game kind of thing). Or when you finally meet the rebel leader. etc.

Isn't the plot the same as in the remake? My memory of the movie is very vague right now. I've watched it 3 years ago or something like that. Anyway I think I'll watch the original today.

Jaguar

Money.

And I'm not going by scores per se, I actually read a number of reviews that I can then evaluate the criticisms based on my personal likes/dislikes and determine whether it's worth the investment for me personally to spend $10-17 in the theater to see something now, or if I should just wait a few months and redbox it.

I've occasionally gone against my better judgment and seen a movie anyway... then wished I had saved my money.

Holy crap. 17? Is that a theater price? (I only watch movies at home, now.) I wanted to see Jobs when it came out, but I waited and paid 5 bucks for a 2-day rental using my cable service. I want to see Transcendence, too. It sounds interesting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't the plot the same as in the remake? My memory of the movie is very vague right now. I've watched it 3 years ago or something like that. Anyway I think I'll watch the original today.

Probably the biggest disappointment about the remake is that it was supposed to be made from the story but they obviously used the first movie as main source. (I've read the story.) So aside from a few new elements like The Fall (which was actually a decent idea, in lieu of sending characters to Mars), they swiped too much from the original without necessarily improving it and maybe could have taken things in very new directions. I don't think the original took itself so seriously, while the second was too serious about itself while not quite earning it.

Holy crap. 17? Is that a theater price? (I only watch movies at home, now.) I wanted to see Jobs when it came out, but I waited and paid 5 bucks for a 2-day rental using my cable service. I want to see Transcendence, too. It sounds interesting.

It depends on what kind of movie it is.
If you see an IMAX 3D picture, yeah, it can run you $17-20 depending on what city you're in and what theater you go to.

My normal ticket price for a regular movie is somewhere around $10-11, I think. I think in the more rural place I lived a few years back, it was $8.50-9.

Saturday morning movies are a great deal, I think I get into a regular movie for $6 or so and one of the high-end movies for only $10-11.

I usually RedBox stuff for $1 a movie, or I find it streaming on a few sites I trust even if the quality isn't as great as I'd like. I've also got Netflix streaming.

My TV/3D player has some streaming movie services, but they are typically charging anywhere from $2-6 for a movie that I possibly can get off RedBox for $1. I was looking for a streaming service for just-released movies, do you know of any? That's the only way I'd be willing to pay a stream service $6 for a movie at home.. if it was a picture still in theaters and not on home release. At that price, it's still a discount.

Jaguar

My TV/3D player has some streaming movie services, but they are typically charging anywhere from $2-6 for a movie that I possibly can get off RedBox for $1. I was looking for a streaming service for just-released movies, do you know of any? That's the only way I'd be willing to pay a stream service $6 for a movie at home.. if it was a picture still in theaters and not on home release. At that price, it's still a discount.

I don't. I only use Comcast (now Xfinity) which does offer some, hang on, be right back . . . I just checked and I don't know why they have a section in the menu that reads 'same day as theater' and yet I don't think it delivers what it claims, unless it's a limited number of movies. (I'm sure they're tired of me calling them up and telling them how they have things categorized isn't logical. *laughs* I bitched at them the other night for having HD movies in the SD category.)

;)

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw it last night with some friends. I was actually pleasantly surprised. No, it's not a GREAT movie...but it wasn't what I was expecting and I actually liked the plot twist at the end. Up and until the end though it's pretty predictable.

I'll put the rest of my thoughts into a spoilers tag :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], yes, Transcendence was better than the Total Recall remake...but that's not hard for most movies to do.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just tried to stream this online and I can't continue -- it's the most fucking boring movie I've seen in my life. I made it about 40 minutes through, and there's no reason for me to waste another 80 minutes trying to stick it out until the end.

This is what happens when you let a cinematographer with no sense of how to set up scenes for dramatic continuity/arc direct a movie. It's flatter than a pancake after a stack of elephants sits on it.

Which is just too bad, with the cast they had in this movie -- Johnny Depp, Rebecca Hall (who I dearly love), Kate Mara, Paul Bettany, Cillian Murphy, Mor gan Freeman. What a total waste.

I don't think there is any worse sin for a movie than being boring, honestly. As long as it's interesting, you can watch any genre that someone might put out; but to not generate any emotional or mental interest in the story or characters? Unforgivable.

(And yeah, I found the Total Recall remake while not a high point in cinema to still generate some actual emotion in certain scenes.)

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just tried to stream this online and I can't continue -- it's the most fucking boring movie I've seen in my life. I made it about 40 minutes through, and there's no reason for me to waste another 80 minutes trying to stick it out until the end.

This is what happens when you let a cinematographer with no sense of how to set up scenes for dramatic continuity/arc direct a movie. It's flatter than a pancake after a stack of elephants sits on it.

Which is just too bad, with the cast they had in this movie -- Johnny Depp, Rebecca Hall (who I dearly love), Kate Mara, Paul Bettany, Cillian Murphy, Mor gan Freeman. What a total waste.

I don't think there is any worse sin for a movie than being boring, honestly. As long as it's interesting, you can watch any genre that someone might put out; but to not generate any emotional or mental interest in the story or characters? Unforgivable.

(And yeah, I found the Total Recall remake while not a high point in cinema to still generate some actual emotion in certain scenes.)

That's how I ended up feeling about "Her". From the main concept, previews and cast, I thought it would be a great film. I tried to watch it over a period of about 5 days. I could take about 1-5 minutes of it at a time, and had to quit watching. I think I got about 20-30 minutes in. Then I just gave up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's how I ended up feeling about "Her". From the main concept, previews and cast, I thought it would be a great film. I tried to watch it over a period of about 5 days. I could take about 1-5 minutes of it at a time, and had to quit watching. I think I got about 20-30 minutes in. Then I just gave up.

Which leaves me wondering: "What's the difference?"
Because I had a completely different reaction to "Her," whose script won the original screenplay Oscar.

It didn't help in Transcendence when there's lots of fake technospeak, a lot of explosions/murders including the shooting of the lead who then is dying rapidly of some bizarre radiation poisoning that can't be stopped (it's so contrived) -- and that's not a spoiler, that's in the trailers -- and then he kind of just passes on and gets uploaded. Again, all in the trailers. But it's all flat and nothing is happening. Either things were irrational and contrived, or they were boring and the scenes stagnant.

... oh, and Depp sounds like he's either drunk or phoning it in for the part of the movie where he's physically alive. IT's even hard to understand him sometimes, even before he's injured. I mean, srsly? At least Hall tries to evoke something, and Bettany is rather winsome and the conscience, but..... uggh.