• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you like poetry?

Do you like poetry?

• I love it.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • It's okay, I guess.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Some poems I really like, Some I don't like.

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Love it. I don't think loving it means I have to love every poem ever written, though, so I didn't bother clicking the fourth option even though it's also true for me.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Def Poetry Jam is an awesome show!

I like some poetry, but not others. I almost never like poetry that doesn't rhyme... so most of the poetry I like is in the form of song lyrics (and music gives it a second and even third dimension to the work, anyway). I said "sometimes I like poetry".

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I feel exactly the same way (bolded part).

So I am not alone in this. nice.
I will say though that it is possible I have just not heard the really good slam poetry sessions. Come to think of it, the ones I have heard were amateurs, not established poets.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If there were poems about me, then I'm sure I'd like those poems.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I like smart poetry that has layers that you can pull back... plays on words, carefully placed symbols, perfect metaphors... I love the economy of language in a great poem, and the way that a great poem can be like a puzzle.

The poetry that I tend to loathe is that which just spills over with words and overt statements (especially of love or despair). It has no skill about it, no cleverness. I like clever poetry.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I always like to characterize what I consider to be crappy poetry with this line from Shelley's "Ode to the West Wind":

Percy Wusshe Shelley said:
I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed!

Not all of Shelley is this bad, btw.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
"Dancing is a disease
because it makes me weak in the knees"
:dont: Deep brah

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I don't much like slam poetry for its quality of poetry-ness, but I respect the performance aspect of it and when freestyling is involved, I can be impressed by that.

It's because I am a teacher, but also because he's really pretty good, that I enjoy Taylor Mali:

YouTube - Taylor Mali on what teachers make

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I always like to characterize what I consider to be crappy poetry with this line from Shelley's "Ode to the West Wind":

Not all of Shelley is this bad, btw.

I grew up in the road he lived in, with she of Frankenstein fame. Only recently did I realise that this is why it was called Shelley Road!

You are right though about the over dramatic romanticism.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i answered "love it" but actually like some, not all.
if longer than 15-20 lines i lose interest
there are some that i really like and appreciate though

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I write poems and songs occasionally. This is a poem I wrote last autumn.

"Drowning in place"

Here I am again,
pocketful of happiness,
bottles of love.

Disappearance is a virtue,
Jean Renoir on mute.
How many angels fit on the head of a syringe?
I lost count again.

Thinking of you,
thought goes to bed.
Sports and music and politics,
all the trappings of the integrated: gone.

My reel runs out in bliss,
a valediction to the pain which I no longer deem necessary.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
No, I haven't. I've only seen amateurs. Who would you consider to be a 'good quality' slam poet?
Ani DiFranco.

And to be honest, I just watch Def Poetry Jam and some of the slam poets, (whom I don't know by name) startle me with their passion and *insight*.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Maybe I don't like being startled with passion like that :coffee:
- sincerely,
cold british fish

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I was a hater before I actually watched a DPJ episode. It was really impressive. It's not beatnik snap poetry or spoiled brat whining. It's really quite cool. Like Eileen says it's more performance than poetry (I don't think most of it would translate well to the page) but that's one aspect of poetry.

Poetry is really hard to define, especially when you consider that a lot of prose has poetic elements. I had to define it in a 6th grade language arts book a year or so ago and it was a real bitch. I think I eventually settled on something like "Poetry is the artful arrangement of words in a way that expresses a concept or feeling," but IMO that doesn't really hit it.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Poetry is really hard to define, especially when you consider that a lot of prose has poetic elements. I had to define it in a 6th grade language arts book a year or so ago and it was a real bitch. I think I eventually settled on something like "Poetry is the artful arrangement of words in a way that expresses a concept or feeling," but IMO that doesn't really hit it.

I usually go with "writing that uses the line as a unit of composition."