• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you like poetry?

Do you like poetry?

• I love it.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • It's okay, I guess.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Some poems I really like, Some I don't like.

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have noticed the topic of poetry has come up in a lot of different threads and I was interested to see what break down is like between the poetry lovers, the poetry haters and those that don't care much either way.

I also wanted to bring up the idea of liking some poems, or types or poems but not others. Some people seem to lump all peotry together but there are some very different types.

I don't care for most of the poems I studied in school. I am very fond of the new generation of poetry that you have at the poetry slams. This is poetry made to be heard, not read, and the delivery of it is often very dramatic. Poetry slams seem to take place mostly in urban areas and people rhyme about things that are meaningful to them. The poems are full of emotion (without being trite), personal experiences, and serious subjects. There isn't a whole lot going on about flowers and trees.

One of the best examples I have heard of this is Def Poetry - on cable TV. There were not very many episodes but you can get it on DVD.

Ilah

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I like some poetry a lot and others very little. Slam poetry for some reason irritates me. Maybe it is the delivery. Maybe I am just an old-fogey when it comes to poetry.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Ah, I love poetry readings.. I used to go to this coffee shop in Santa Ana called the Gypsy Den and they had open mic/poetry reading. It was pretty sweet. Great atmosphere.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like linguistic poetry, but I'm sure I can distort the conventional definition of poetry into a definition that will make me respond favorably to poetry. Such as visual poetry. I seem to be dazzled, for example, by an operatic film sequence. I'm interested in how science and art are combined. I think it's poetic. So in that way, I guess you can say I do like poetry. But I don't like poetry in the conventional sense.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I love great poetry and loathe awful contrived poetry.

I consider lyricists to be poets too.

I am a poet and I know it. Some of my poetry sucks, and some of my poetry rocks, but most of it's above decent.

Bukowski, Shakespeare, Ani DiFranco, Trent Reznor, and many other poets I cannot think of right now, rock my ENFP world.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I like some poetry a lot and others very little. Slam poetry for some reason irritates me. Maybe it is the delivery. Maybe I am just an old-fogey when it comes to poetry.

Slam poetry is the best! Except when every single poet gets up there talking about the Struggle. I'm all about that too, but lighten up a little plz. The last one I went a woman recited a couple pieces about proper etiquette when approaching a customer service rep and one about the Struggle and she won.

I was an English major who pretty much hated poetry.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Slam poetry makes me weak in the knees, it evokes soooooooo much out of me, to say that I love it would be a gross understatement.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Slam poetry is the best! Except when every single poet gets up there talking about the Struggle. I'm all about that too, but lighten up a little plz. The last one I went a woman recited a couple pieces about proper etiquette when approaching a customer service rep and one about the Struggle and she won.

I was an English major who pretty much hated poetry.

I don't know . . . I am put off by predictability, and like you said it often seems about "the struggle". It seems less authentic to me because it is like they clothe themselves in "the struggle" in order to make poetry. The struggle, not their own light, makes them sing.
But mostly, I think it rubs me the wrong way because I hate direct, obvious emotional appeals to my own emotions, and the aggressiveness of it makes me feel like I am being conned into feeling. I just thought of one guy who was ever so doltishly earnest yet contrived that I wanted to slap him.

Funny, I was not an English major yet love (some) poetry.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't know . . . I am put off by predictability, and like you said it often seems about "the struggle". It seems less authentic to me because it is like they clothe themselves in "the struggle" in order to make poetry. The struggle, not their own light, makes them sing.
But mostly, I think it rubs me the wrong way because I hate direct, obvious emotional appeals to my own emotions, and the aggressiveness of it makes me feel like I am being conned into feeling. I just thought of one guy who was ever so doltishly earnest yet contrived that I wanted to slap him.

Funny, I was not an English major yet love (some) poetry.

I feel exactly the same way (bolded part).

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This poem wins.
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I said "I love poetry," but I qualify that by saying that I will, in a totally elitist fashion, discount what I think to be shitty as "not poetry." This includes some poems I've written and probably plenty you all have as well. ;)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love it when its good and original
but when its a carbon copy of despair.....
:gag:

S

Sniffles

I love poetry from the Romantic era. Byron, Keats, Pushkin, Lermontov, Mickiewicz, Shevchenko, etc.

Oh yeah, can't forget Peguy! ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
no

unless, as Ender could have said, it is about a man from Nantucket

;)