• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hannibal (TV Series), finally a depiction that lives up to Silence of the Lambs

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love the show too. However, I fear it's moving too slow. No I don't think the pace of the show is too slow. I just think it might not survive for so long due to ratings if they continue with the same pace. It would kill the theme of the show to speed things up, but I feel that's the only way the show would reach an ending before being cancelled. Besides they were initially planning for 7 seasons. No way that's going to happen I thought back then.

Genuine concern.

Also are they going to give Will a break from the show once Clarice Starling is introduced? She seems no way close to the intrigue Will provides though Silence of the lambs was amazing.

Will is just too amazing to be taken off the show. But maybe the viewers would get tired of him, and I fear the they would get tired of Hannibal too if it goes on like this.

Fuller had condensed what he had planned for Season 3-4 so that his plans only run for six seasons, last I saw. dolarhyde used to be season 4 but now got moved into halfway through season 3 I think to move things along.

A problem was that the show did not have the rights to Silence of the Lambs. So unless they can swing a deal, they can't use Starling wholesale or anything specific to that book. They might have to create similar characters and use those, if they can't get the rights (if production continues). Makes me wonder if that was part of the problem from NBC's perspective.

Freddie:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just watched episode s3e2 (and have the others taped), and I'm reminded why I really like this show. I've seen very few things that capture subjective psychology of the characters this well... and to see it on TV versus a movie? (reference "Under the Skin" as one of those movies.)

But at the same time it explains the bad ratings. I like being disturbed, I like knowing not exactly what is real, I like trying to filter through Will's perceptions and see what he is seeing and putting things together, I like things being ambiguous and confusing and unsettling. But TV audiences (especially major networks) just don't really have a high demographic of people like that, I think; it's too art-housey and only a TV niche market at best. Which is why cable might be able to handle the show, if a network can devote proper resources to the project.

Episode 2 was just great. And sad. And hopeful. And disappointing. And pretty brilliant. It really pulled on me mentally and emotionally. We finally get a partial sense of how things went down at the end of Season 2 but... who knows where this is going?

Except to the Tooth Fairy, eventually.

... also, another book character is introduced.

EDIT: Cause for hope? From the wiki:
"On June 22, 2015, NBC cancelled the series. Fuller has initiated talks with Amazon Prime and Netflix for a renewal."

EDIT1: Oh, back in S3e1, at the end, there's this great shot of Hannibal sitting on a train with a luggage chest that reminds me a TON of the end of the movie "Let the Right One In." I can't really believe that's a mistake. (Except it's making you wonder who is representing who.)

EDIT2: Caught up now (through s3e4). Things are kind of falling into place, I think they're trying to set up the placement of all the characters for the beginning of Red Dragon, which would likely start with e7.

well I'm skipping the rest in this thread until I finish episode 5. But you captured the show very well in your "why I like it and why NBC viewers don't"

It's remarkable this show has lasted a single season on a major network. I always watch downloaded episodes, but I can't imagine watching this show with freaking network TV commercials. But the gore in this show, it pushes boundaries graphically, and aesthetically....period. Thinking of the sad, surprising, yet not-so-surprising scene of Abigail's throat being slashed by an an invisible blade, sitting calmly next to Will. Heavy, bloody, graphic on ANY network.

But this season is more dream/horrorscape than the previous 2 and while beautiful, a little annoying at times, like yes yes wonderful, but don't forget to progress the plot. I can forgive it though.

Though I'm just into the beginning, I'm caught thinking WTF?? with episode 5 when the japanese girl says to Will on the train, "you're scared if you don't kill him you'll become him." Say again?? I mean, that's kind of been a running theme this season, but I never quite could buy it. Yes, Will freed the imprisoned man that ate Mischa, probably just "curious to see what would happen," a very Hannibal thing to do, but Will could never be a monster. I don't get that. But maybe it's just Will's own irrational fears/insecurities.

All in all, this show continues to remain one of the most disturbingly bizarre shows I've ever watched. And I'm very pleased that the subject for such is show is none other than one Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a fictional character who is so artfully brought to life, that he deserves a place in mythos next to a Botticelli or a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll never eat again. :aquiver:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/amazon-netflix-pass-hannibal-154400378.html

Amazon and Netflix have both declined to revive the artful drama, which NBC canceled last month partially into its third season. It's still possible the show will find a home elsewhere; however, Amazon Prime was seen as the most likely contender to bring Hannibal online because of an exclusive distribution deal.

....Fuller shared the disheartening news Monday via Twitter, adding that he's still holding out hope. De Laurentiis Company, which produces the show, confirmed that they were still exploring other options.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Hannibal has kind of jumped the shark for me this season so unless it improves I can't say I'm too disappointed it's been canceled. I'd probably stop watching it anyhow.

The first couple of seasons where enjoyable because you had the suspense/drama of the authorities trying to track down Hannibal and the threat he might kill some of the main characters.

This season, there's too much psycho babble and no suspense/drama. Hannibal's victims are inconsequential nobodies. All the protagonists seem to just accept Hannibal's existence and are content to let him be himself. There is no chase and therefor no suspense going on. Oddball characters like the Asian chick and the lipless guy come out of left field.

It seems the series is now primarily a vehicle for a bunch of art nouveau impressionists. Story and drama have been replaced by surrealistic vision sequences. I got fed up in the last episode during that sequence that started out with sort of a mirror image of one of lipless guy's women. My eyes rolled - great more of this crap. Wake me up when it's over. I just FF'd the pvr past it all till I saw some characters in dialog. Maybe if you are an art student you are impressed by that stuff, but it bores me to tears at this point.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Part of me would like a series more in the vein of Michael Mann's Manhunter. Miami Vice meets Hannibal Lector. Inagaddadavidaaaa hoooney

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I still watch Hannibal since I am still far into it, but this just last episode they just seem like they're scramblin' around with the plot with however it seems convenient for the Hannibal character, you know he's going to keep living on makes him kind of lose his mysteriousness because it's not like he did it with swift execution, rather he's just too "lucky." Oh well still something to watch to pass the time.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think the way everyone is scrambling over each other in an effort to get to Hannibal is hilarious. As soon as someone has him someone else comes in and screws over the other person's plans.

I know a lot of people aren't really feeling the pretentious artsy-ness but I see it as camp levity. Despite the extremely surreal and fantastical elements, I think people take the show too seriously and expect too much realism.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the way everyone is scrambling over each other in an effort to get to Hannibal is hilarious. As soon as someone has him someone else comes in and screws over the other person's plans.

I know a lot of people aren't really feeling the pretentious artsy-ness but I see it as camp levity. Despite the extremely surreal and fantastical elements, I think people take the show too seriously and expect too much realism.

Yes, that last episode felt tongue-in-cheek, almost as if the show were just making fun of itself. (I think the prevalence of Mason Verger this season, with his sardonic deliveries, contributes to that.) And then we have the whole bit with Bedelia, which again seems self-referential and tongue-in-cheek in a way that she wasn't played in other seasons. I actually laughed out loud a number of times, I felt like they were just playing it for fun at this point.

And as you note, all the "interference" going on, almost cartoonish, between the characters -- but juxtaposed with this arthousy pretentious imagery. And then the whole dinner scene there with an element ripped from Hannibal (just as the thing with Pazzi was ripped out of Hannibal). I have no clue where they are "at" in the known storyline, the TV shows has disassembled and then reassembled... which I suppose is the best way to go about it so we have no idea what to expect.

Oh yes... the "Verger baby." Dear god, I was laughing. How can he say those lines with a straight face? Joe anderson makes them sound so delicious.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The show's fantastastical scenes and surreal play with the image and sound are probably the most beautiful and breath taking things I've ever seen TV. The only problem with art is when it starts to lack the inspiration, repeating the same idea over and over again loses the power over the watcher's mind.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yes the Mason Verger thing is even fun to copy is voice. "I'll capture and eat Hannibal myself" oh let's cook him like a pig too. I mean throwing comedy in this 3rd season is kind of nice but it's so out of place. First two seasons, I had a hard time navigating through the gore and I swear no laughter came into me until I saw Hannibal let the last guy hang himself like Judas Iscariot. Then later Jack is like oh yeah now I can go finally teach Hannibal a lesson. Kick kick kick punch stab repeat and he just slides away.

Will: why didn't you kill him?
Jack: because maybe you should.

... I'm like wtf.

Will: Hannibal my man lets get back to being friends
Hannibal: finally after the trials we've been through
*Will walks with Hannibal*
*Will pulls out knife* *Chi only nips Will in the shoulder*
Hannibal: now I'm going to eat Will.

Peter Griffin: "okay this is news to me*

Then SOMEHOW

Mason Verger: mm now there's two of you to eat.

I'm like did they just flip the table here??

Edit: Okay eat the rude was pretty funny from an earlier season Before. But it's humor that just should be sly fully set in

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Man, this show has some haters. Which is cool. I wonder if it's just this season.

I admit, I was starting to lose patience with all the dreamscape, high speed camera imagery (as AWESOME as it is), and really wanting a plot to exist and progress.

Maybe I'm totally insane, but to me, it seems that the plot HAS finally started to come together and move.

And the last episode was the weiner.

Also, when Ray Liotta had his skull cap removed and was munchin' on some of his own brain, it was comical (the book, I was horrified). I can't even remember who his character was (pretty sure not will), but in this episode, I was like "HOLYBALLFUCKERS!!!!!!"

then I crapped my pants and all was well with the world.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the mid-season Verger story wrapped up in all its silly, amusing, spectacular operatic glory -- it was awesome -- and the end of the episode resolved in just the way we needed it to in order to set the playing board for the Great Red Dragon.

So essentially the show managed to do the Hannibal (book) story or its variation thereof early in the chronology, throwing out / reframing the most ridiculous parts so that they actually meshed better (no Liotta here, we got Will in context of a crazy story, for example), and wrapped everything emotionally and relationally up in a way that made sense.

Tonight was Neil Marshall directing the first "Tooth Fairy / Red Dragon" episode. Armitage is unsettling. Yes, there's the hairlip, although not as severe as you might think. I'm pretty familiar with "Red Dragon" (I've read it 5-6 times), so seeing how they rearrange the details to fit within the show is interesting. Some of it felt a little rushed to me, although that could just be the snail pace I am used to with this show. It was hard seeing Will choose to go back into the lion's den so to speak -- and when you're reading the book, you're not really tapped into why it's so hard for him, but after living in his headspace on the TV show for 2.5 seasons, it's really unsettling to see him go into the Leeds' home and relive the crimes... you know exactly what impact this will have on him. (And the only reason he's doing it is because he'd feel worse seeing a third family murdered and knowing he might have prevented it.)

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Man, this show has some haters. Which is cool. I wonder if it's just this season.
Just this season, it makes it even worse in that the first couple seasons were above average viewing IMO, so the drastic decline seems that much worse.

I haven't seen the most recent episode yet (it's a bad sign when I don't even care enough to worry about spoilers) but it looked like it might be a bit of a return to earlier episodes feel wise.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The first half of Season 3 was actually a condensation of the book "Hannibal" now in hindsight:

But since we didn't know this going into it, no one knew wth was going on or why, and how long it would seemingly meander. Really, it was all meant to eradicate the need to deal with that pretty terrible/tongue-in-cheek "Hannibal" book which made a mockery of Starling's character and also to reboot/move the playing pieces to their locations at the start of Red Dragon.

It's too bad it lost the viewing audience attention to a large degree, confused by its purpose in the beginning.

The first episode of the Red Dragon sequence was a helluva of a lurch forward -- we are back to what was happening pace-wise in Season 1, and a similar approach (with some of the old lab agents reintroduced), and there's a tangible external plot versus a lot of internal surreal stuff. It's still Hannibal, it's very evocative, but that one episode covered a chunk of Red Dragon plot-wise already -- handling all the upfront stuff, characters reconnecting, Will investigating the Leeds' house, etc. Definitely a shift back to more linear plotting and clearer direction, story-wise.

Adam

MBTI Type
DEUS
The season has improved vastly with the entry into Red Dragon.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm really excited to see what goes on with how the "Great Red Dragon" does. I'm worried there won't be a season 4 though. :\