• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hannibal (TV Series), finally a depiction that lives up to Silence of the Lambs

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wonderful!

I'd like to have you both for dinner. Tonight, at 7pm?

I'll be there! Garsh, I love getting a free meal. I probably better not fill up on bread and get all plump and juicy first right?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll be there! Garsh, I love getting a free meal. I probably better not fill up on bread and get all plump and juicy first right?

Just rub this lotion on your skin, or else you'll get the hose again.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just rub this lotion on your skin, or else you'll get the hose again.

Lol. Stop. I'm trying to not choke on these scrambled eggs, and no one is around to give the heimlich.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] Do yourself a favor today and watch this:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bout to watch episode 6, got my teddy bear, Mr. Snuggles, and all my night lights on.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, I can't wait until justice is served and Alana realizes what she's been taking in. *cough* She's about as good a judge of character as Andrea off TWD.

I hadn't run across the series synopsis before. On wikipedia, they say they actually have seven seasons mapped out -- the first three original, and the last four each based on one of the books (Red Dragon, TSofL, Hannibal, and then a resolution). I think the original material is really good, I'm just not sure how the rehash material is going to work; I mean, the creative team here is really good, but it's hard to revisit things that might have been done well in the past already.

(Although that might have really only been TSotL.)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]

It's a little hard to judge Alana's lack of perspective, as she isn't privy to all the things Jack Crawford is. He's kept her in the dark about his ever growing suspicions of Hannibal. On top (so to speak) of her being personally involved with Hannibal. That adds to her blindness, she's known him longer than anyone. She, like EVERYONE else, bought into the very well placed evidence of Will's guilt by Hannibal. But unlike Chilton and Crawford, she hasn't been as close to Will and Hannibal to observe the ever growing evidence of Will's claims.

But yeah, haha, she's gonna need a long shower after this.

Christ, you see the end of this episode with the "final supper"? Eeewwwwwwwwww. This episode wasn't as intense as the last, but still good, and the last 5 minutes, holy nuts on on a platter!

What you mean "only silence of the lambs"? Like that was the only one that would be hard to make better?

I didn't know that that was the series plan. Should be interesting. I'm cautiously optimistic. Wasn't really a fan of most of the movies besides SotLs. They had their moments, but maybe they'll be redone with more cohesion, with the same lucid horror of the tv series.

Funniest scene:

WL1qAKy.png

R

Riva

Dammit i like that chubby sergeon (gordon i think).

Why did they have to cripple him?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a little hard to judge Alana's lack of perspective, as she isn't privy to all the things Jack Crawford is. He's kept her in the dark about his ever growing suspicions of Hannibal. On top (so to speak) of her being personally involved with Hannibal. That adds to her blindness, she's known him longer than anyone. She, like EVERYONE else, bought into the very well placed evidence of Will's guilt by Hannibal. But unlike Chilton and Crawford, she hasn't been as close to Will and Hannibal to observe the ever growing evidence of Will's claims.

I think I wouldn't be so hard on her, EXCEPT... it's her freaking job.
And last night she was going on about how she analyzes her emotions rather than experiencing them.

She's supposed to evaluate / provide therapy for criminal minds as her actual living and get paid for it.

But yeah, haha, she's gonna need a long shower after this.

The funny thing is, she felt some level of awe, respect, connection with you-know-who... but it becomes obvious after the fact that it was just a connection he realized he could exploit.

Christ, you see the end of this episode with the "final supper"? Eeewwwwwwwwww. This episode wasn't as intense as the last, but still good, and the last 5 minutes, holy nuts on on a platter!

Yeah, I actually rewound to get another look at that "under the table" camera shot because I was like, "No way."

The dialogue and tone was impeccable. I loved it.

He's also not just "crippled" according to another person's posts; it was his "last supper." I assume he's going into the freezer after dinner.

What dishes can you make with a stomach that still contains digested food? Especially THAT type of food? Oh, the places our cuisine will go!

What you mean "only silence of the lambs"? Like that was the only one that would be hard to make better?

Yeah, I think that one out of the series of movies was a level higher, and pretty much Hannibal and Hannibal Rising were dogs. However, to be kind to the "Hannibal" folks, they were taking it straight out of the book, I considered that novel to be Harris flipping the publishing industry the bird and saying, "See? You guys will publish anything to make money." It was one of those stories that was mostly absurd on the pages, and if you try to translate to screen verbatim, it REALLY looks stupid.

That was amusing.

I'll be honest: I (like most of the audience, I'll assume) hates Chilton.

And we all know what happens to him.

But I do like how the TV version is pretty much channeling the movie version -- the voice and inflection is really close. And also to be honest, Chilton is more on top of this than Alana, even if he is generally self-serving in his interests and also "cheats" (by using surveillance, although any psychopath worth his salt can play off that). He's also a fun character -- kind of slimey in his own way, and a bit of a pompous effete, but highly articulate.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I wouldn't be so hard on her, EXCEPT... it's her freaking job.
And last night she was going on about how she analyzes her emotions rather than experiencing them.

She's supposed to evaluate / provide therapy for criminal minds as her actual living and get paid for it.

The funny thing is, she felt some level of awe, respect, connection with you-know-who... but it becomes obvious after the fact that it was just a connection he realized he could exploit.

Yeah, I actually rewound to get another look at that "under the table" camera shot because I was like, "No way."

The dialogue and tone was impeccable. I loved it.

He's also not just "crippled" according to another person's posts; it was his "last supper." I assume he's going into the freezer after dinner.

What dishes can you make with a stomach that still contains digested food? Especially THAT type of food? Oh, the places our cuisine will go!

Yeah, I think that one out of the series of movies was a level higher, and pretty much Hannibal and Hannibal Rising were dogs. However, to be kind to the "Hannibal" folks, they were taking it straight out of the book, I considered that novel to be Harris flipping the publishing industry the bird and saying, "See? You guys will publish anything to make money." It was one of those stories that was mostly absurd on the pages, and if you try to translate to screen verbatim, it REALLY looks stupid.

That was amusing.

I'll be honest: I (like most of the audience, I'll assume) hates Chilton.

And we all know what happens to him.

But I do like how the TV version is pretty much channeling the movie version -- the voice and inflection is really close. And also to be honest, Chilton is more on top of this than Alana, even if he is generally self-serving in his interests and also "cheats" (by using surveillance, although any psychopath worth his salt can play off that). He's also a fun character -- kind of slimey in his own way, and a bit of a pompous effete, but highly articulate.

Only problem with it being Alana's job is her patient is Satan.

I've been on some movie sites and the general consensus is that ever since Chilton joined the Crawford bandwagon, people like him more, including myself. Little wormy for sure, but his hilarious, subtle self-preservation is beautiful.

Yes last scene, ugh, "My compliments to the chef." Haha, I hadn't thought of what he'll serve. Perhaps, soul food style giblets?

Still absolutely love this show, and I'm not even going to mention the woman in the well at the end. Jaysus christ! Well ok, I guess I just mentioned it.

This series has been wonderful so far, my only fear is, how can they keep it up?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only problem with it being Alana's job is her patient is Satan.

Wait... you're saying she's in bed with Satan?

I've been on some movie sites and the general consensus is that ever since Chilton joined the Crawford bandwagon, people like him more, including myself. Little wormy for sure, but his hilarious, subtle self-preservation is beautiful.

"... in fact, I shouldn't even be talking to you. It's far too dangerous." *edges away* ROFL. Not that it matters.

Still absolutely love this show, and I'm not even going to mention the woman in the well at the end. Jaysus christ! Well ok, I guess I just mentioned it.

You know who she was, right? (Oh my girl!)

This series has been wonderful so far, my only fear is, how can they keep it up?

Yeah, I gotta say that although at times things can seem a little long, the series has made no actual missteps that I've noticed. That's actually really good, where most series have some good moments and then just really screw up an episode here and there. (Heroes is a great example of a series that went some pretty cool places, then completely blew episodes / strings of episodes.)

EDIT: How can they keep it up? I don't know, ask Alana -- apparently that's her specialty, not mine.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait... you're saying she's in bed with Satan?

"... in fact, I shouldn't even be talking to you. It's far too dangerous." *edges away* ROFL. Not that it matters.

You know who she was, right? (Oh my girl!)

Yeah, I gotta say that although at times things can seem a little long, the series has made no actual missteps that I've noticed. That's actually really good, where most series have some good moments and then just really screw up an episode here and there. (Heroes is a great example of a series that went some pretty cool places, then completely blew episodes / strings of episodes.)

EDIT: How can they keep it up? I don't know, ask Alana -- apparently that's her specialty, not mine.

Ha, yeah I know who it was, Miriam. I had almost forgotten who she was, she really didn't have that much screen time. For a split second, I thought it might have been Abigail, as I'm not sure we ever see her body?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha, yeah I know who it was, Miriam. I had almost forgotten who she was, she really didn't have that much screen time. For a split second, I thought it might have been Abigail, as I'm not sure we ever see her body?

I don't think they ever found Abigail's body (aside from blood on the floor in her old house, and any pieces of her in the Chesapeake Ripper's lures they just found on the security guard).

I think with Miriam, we only ever saw her arm. Apparently we know where the rest of her went now.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dammit i like that chubby sergeon (gordon i think).

Why did they have to cripple him?

Cuz he was taking The Ripper's (Hannibal's) credit for being the ripper. That's a no no. Plus a chubby thigh makes for a more tender clay roasted Roti de cuisse.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cuz he was taking The Ripper's (Hannibal's) credit for being the ripper. That's a no no. Plus a chubby thigh makes for a more tender clay roasted Roti de cuisse.

I gotta say, I'm learning a helluvalot more about cooking than I ever knew before.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
OMG Miriam!!!! And Gideon had to eat himself. Shudder. This season is so great.

(Miriam's appearance was a much better "long gone character comes back" reveal than the season finale of Shameless, which totally pissed me off...)

I love Chilton, the greasy bastard. That actor has really brought some charm and humor to a usually irredeemable role. What were those feet things anyway?

Edit: the link I just posted below says they're squab drumsticks in fig&date tartlettes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG Miriam!!!! And Gideon had to eat himself. Shudder. This season is so great.

It really is good. ANd I love the whole parallel tracks they are doing between Hannibal and Lecter -- not only are they similar in some ways (except Will has empathy for the victims despite his detachment issues), but even physically and situationally, they've stuck Will in Hannibal's physical circumstances that we know him from in the movies, and even some of the lines. This will be played off later once things flip around.

Eddie Izzard did a nice job as Gideon. He just takes everything in stride.

errr... but... welll... as Hannibal would say about Miggs... um... "Not anymore."

(Miriam's appearance was a much better "long gone character comes back" reveal than the season finale of Shameless, which totally pissed me off...)

I honestly had no idea what he'd find in that well. That was the last thing in my mind. But that's why I love this show. And it wasn't really played up, it just happened.

Edit: the link I just posted below says they're squab drumsticks in fig&date tartlettes.

That was just... hilariously bizarre.

I honestly feel inspired to buy equipment and try to learn how to cook like this... but I don't have the money to eat like that, and I suspect I would suck at it.

I love Chilton, the greasy bastard. That actor has really brought some charm and humor to a usually irredeemable role. What were those feet things anyway?

What's really amusing is finding pictures of Raul Esparza (Chilton) elsewhere, with other things he's done.

163-0.jpg

raul_esparza._1721203.jpg

He looks a lot different when he's focused and cleaned up, ROFL.

But he really does bring a lot to the role. The movie couldn't do much with Chilton, he was more a brief comic foil in an otherwise dark picture and that's all there was time for.