• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hannibal (TV Series), finally a depiction that lives up to Silence of the Lambs

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, she's being blamed for being incompetent at her job.

If a pastor who claimed to know all about Satan and preached about Satan every week and made a lifelong career out of talking about how one needs to recognize and defeat Satan ended up being taken in by Satan, I'd be making fun of his hubris as well.

What type of psychiatrist starts screwing a lead suspect in a police investigation that she is involved in? Even if she thinks he's innocent? Has she ever heard of projection? Or transference? Or identification? Or... well, you know, all that crap you learn in first-year psych at a basic university?

Oh she'll get her just desserts. I just hope it's not her own toes.

However, I think Hannibal has genuine emotions for her. Like Abigail, though, he won't hesitate to put her down if she stands in his way whatsoever, or is in a position to expose him. I don't think he would prefer that option. Though, on that note, we don't really know if Abigail is actually dead.

I'll also add, that, as she's said in a recent episode, she's known Hannibal longer than ANYONE; Will, Jack Crawford. And she has managed to NOT sleep with him. Up until the last episode. And as every Dane knows, he is the sexiest man in Denmark, so, I know it wasn't easy. If she's projecting or transferring (she probably is, they're like besties, or at least she thinks so) it happened before getting it on with the Devil.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh she'll get her just desserts. I just hope it's not her own toes.

However, I think Hannibal has genuine emotions for her. Like Abigail, though, he won't hesitate to put her down if she stands in his way whatsoever, or is in a position to expose him. I don't think he would prefer that option. Though, on that note, we don't really know if Abigail is actually dead.

Hahah! I was just gonna say we don't know whether Abigail is deceased, kicked the bucket, gone to the great psycho perch in the sky, pushing up daisies, no longer breathing, snuffed, squelched, pinched off, smoked, smothered, terminated, demised, ceased to be, bereft of life, joined the choir invisible, six feet under, mortified, croaked, erased, cadaverous, liquidated, compacted, minced for worm food, obliterated, devoured as num-nums, or whatever else.

Miriam was alive.
Abigail COULD be alive too.

Heh.

I'll also add, that, as she's said in a recent episode, she's known Hannibal longer than ANYONE; Will, Jack Crawford. And she has managed to NOT sleep with him. Up until the last episode. And as every Dane knows, he is the sexiest man in Denmark, so, I know it wasn't easy. If she's projecting or transferring (she probably is, they're like besties, or at least she thinks so) it happened before getting it on with the Devil.

So she's been a bad psychiatrist for much longer than I was suggesting? Sounds like student-teacher crushing to me.

Not even Bedelia went to bed with the Butcher of Beverly, although I think she did eat the food.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How could she help herself after he was in those little swim trunks in that other recent episode? She'd have to be superhuman.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sigh. But.... but...

.. butt?

Hannibal-Lector-Hanging.png

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hahah! I was just gonna say we don't know whether Abigail is deceased, kicked the bucket, gone to the great psycho perch in the sky, pushing up daisies, no longer breathing, snuffed, squelched, pinched off, smoked, smothered, terminated, demised, ceased to be, bereft of life, joined the choir invisible, six feet under, mortified, croaked, erased, cadaverous, liquidated, compacted, minced for worm food, obliterated, devoured as num-nums, or whatever else.

Haha, yes, all those are options. She might also be in six flags.

Not even Bedelia went to bed with the Butcher of Beverly, although I think she did eat the food.

Oh yeah, totally!

But really, Hannibal's emotions for Alana, are more fuck buddy, fatherly (not weird at all). It's only with Clarice, who asks him "But are you strong enough to point that high-powered perception at yourself?" does he get a cannibal boner (not weird at all).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But really, Hannibal's emotions for Alana, are more fuck buddy, fatherly (not weird at all). It's only with Clarice, who asks him "But are you strong enough to point that high-powered perception at yourself?" does he get a cannibal boner (not weird at all).

I did write an essay about father/daughter relationships in "The Silence of the Lambs," long ago; I'm trying to see if I can find it.

There are at least three that I see:

1. Clarice's actual father (who died when she was young).
2. Her relationship with Jack Crawford.
3. Her relationship with Hannibal Lecter.

I find Crawford and Lecter's roles in her life to be beautifully juxapositioned by the movie.

Crawford (Scott Glenn's version) is the traditional, calm, steady, unconsciously chauvanistic but well-intentioned father, and he operates with social boundaries in how he relates to Clarice. he hides information from her he doesn't think she needs to know, to protect her and control the situation. He does use her to accomplish his own ends, but is genuinely concerned for her safety and he does try to compensate/learn from his mistakes. He's kind of the classical ISTJ dad, tbh.

Lecter is a different type of father figure. He challenges Clarice and pushes hard on her directly, sometimes even offending her, but the goal is to sharpen her and see what she is made of. He is both put off and impressed when she manages to peddle him a false deal. He feeds her clues, yet only hides information in order to present an opportunity for her to rise to the occasion. Clarice is correct when she says she thinks Lecter is dangerous... but not to her; he'd consider that "rude." (And, actually, I propose he had some kind of fatherly affection for her, as long as she did not intervene in his affairs.)

The biggest difference is the touching of the hands. Demme specifically zooms in on the one time Clarice makes physical contact with each man; it's a purposeful framing of the contact for each. Crawford presents her with a firm but respectful handshake, honoring her achievements while remaining clearly within social and professional boundaries. He has made mistakes, but he is respectful of Clarice's boundaries. Meanwhile, Lecter touches Clarice's finger when he hands her the case file that last time, and it's almost a caress -- it's a very intimate but whispery stroke along her finger, and you can sense in that moment in whatever twisted way that he loves and respects her for being completely vulnerable to him and letting him guide her to facing her own inner fears. I think he sees her as courageous, and it's his way of letting her know that + saying goodbye.

It's why I don't really like any of the following movies, I feel like this father/daughter relationship between Hannibal and Clarice becomes perverted into some literal kind of incestuous sexual attraction. But in TSofL, it's more of a father/daughter thing even if they talk frankly about sexual things at times.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's why I don't really like any of the following movies, I feel like this father/daughter relationship between Hannibal and Clarice becomes perverted into some literal kind of incestuous sexual attraction. But in TSofL, it's more of a father/daughter thing even if they talk frankly about sexual things at times.

All that good food for thought.

But I don't think in Silence that it's perverted. I was somewhat joking about being fatherly and sexually attracted at the same time. It's quite common, and I don't even believe abnormal (unless he's your ACTUAL father).

I never got a sense of incestuousness in Silence. It's very subtle, but Hannibal is attracted to her, maybe not so much her to him, though maybe that's so subtle my man mind can't pick it up.

Now in the books, Clarice and Hannibal become lovers. Which kind of makes sense.

93JC

Sounds like student-teacher crushing to me.

Florence Nightingale effect. Bloom falls for Will because she is compelled to help him recover. When it's clear that Will has regained his mental faculties (and is sharper than ever) she no longer feels romantic feelings for him. She falls for Hannibal, whom she sees as being undeservedly persecuted and "in need of her help".

G

Ginkgo

Sigh. But.... but...

.. butt?

Hannibal-Lector-Hanging.png

You know, it's kind of odd that Hannibal's would-be assailant was one of the more normal people on the show.

All his theatrics were just reenactments of a more twisted origin.

So far there've only been ~3 fight scenes, and this series obviously isn't of the "action" genre, but the choreography is radical nonetheless.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, it's kind of odd that Hannibal's would-be assailant was one of the more normal people on the show.

All his theatrics were just reenactments of a more twisted origin.

So far there've only been ~3 fight scenes, and this series obviously isn't of the "action" genre, but the choreography is radical nonetheless.

What you mean by "normal"? I'd say he was a little off, haha.

G

Ginkgo

What you mean by "normal"? I'd say he was a little off, haha.

I mean, most of the other killers in the series had some sick ritualized process of killing. Something that stemmed from fixation or juju. But that guy just wanted attention, doing whatever seemed most practical to reach that end.

Not that he's not fucked up in his own way.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot, since I've been out all day. I'll download last night's episode and give it a whirl.

I actually have some sympathy for Chilton due to the TV show. in the movie, he was such a lech... I felt dirty after watching any of his scenes. The way he latches onto Starling just... ewww, gross.

Speaking of which, just re watched Silence of the Lambs for the like 11th time, and am still convinced it's a work of timeless genius.

Hannibal is brilliant, genius? Jury's out for me. But def brilliant.

IVzG8e2.gif

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bout to watch episode 8, yay!! Where are you Mr. Snuggles?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have Mr. Snuggles. Which part of him do you want back first?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I think the killer was trying to save the bear, Jack -- save him into memory, so that he would forever be preserved, albeit as an electronic image. Computer memory lasts forever, if duplicated properly and stored on write-protected discs. Binary, Jack, it's all binary -- 1's and 0's, life and death, the binary state always defines a bear's existence."

teddy.jpg

*eerie tinny drum beats amid the whirling clunk-clunk-clunk of the struggling drive*

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I think the killer was trying to save the bear, Jack -- save him into memory, so that he would forever be preserved, albeit as an electronic image. Computer memory lasts forever, if duplicated properly and stored on write-protected discs. Binary, Jack, it's all binary -- 1's and 0's, life and death, the binary state always defines a bear's existence."

teddy.jpg

*eerie tinny drum beats amid the whirling clunk-clunk-clunk of the struggling drive*

LOL, i mean, you.....bastard

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I am so glad you and Jack Crawford could join me for dinner this evening. I have slaved all afternoon over this delectable omelet a la ursinus; and for dessert, ursadae tarte."

teddy-bear-breakfast1.jpg

tumblr_mm6rt3ByfP1qzxzwwo1_1280.jpg

teddy.jpg

---

"Will, we've found another body I need you to take a look at -- a boy found his dog digging it up this morning."

toy_bear.jpg

LOL, i mean, you.....babearstard

fixed