• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hannibal (TV Series), finally a depiction that lives up to Silence of the Lambs

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you might be right, and I don't even know why I wrote they were friends as I reread my answer. I don't even remember writing it, I must have been rushing through it or thinking of other things at the time.

Anyway, all the stuff in the TV show is obviously manufactured outside the book, none of the relational stuff and incidents and connections are present in the book. Red Dragon (which features Will) is after lecter has been in custody for some time, Will has healed from his gutting by Lecter, and doesn't even really want to be involved with the new serial killer case, he had retired. But Crawford begs him.

But you are saying that, after some research, they plan on re-visiting old plotlines? I just don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, I'd love to see the new take, but on the other, kind of takes away from the unpredictability. And I believe these writers are MORE than capable of coming up with new directions/stories while keeping with the mythos.

I briefly searched for what Thomas Harris thought of the show, but couldn't find anything. Anyone know?

93JC

How does Hannibal get caught in the books? I forgot.

"How did you do it? What was the first indication, the first thing you felt?"
"It was coincidence," Graham said. "The sixth victim was killed in his workshop. He had woodworking equipment and he kept his hunting stuff out there. He was laced to a pegboard where the tools hung, and he was really torn up, cut and stabbed, and he had arrows in him. The wounds reminded me of something. I couldn't think what it was."
"And you had to go on to the next ones."
"Yes. Lecter was very hot—he did the next three in nine days. But this sixth one, he had two old scars on his thigh. The pathologist checked with the local hospital and found he had fallen out of a tree blind five years before while he was bow hunting and stuck an arrow through his leg.
"The doctor of record was a resident surgeon, but Lecter had treated him first—he was on duty in the emergency room. His name was on the admissions log. It had been a long time since the accident, but I thought Lecter might remember if anything had seemed fishy about the arrow wound, so I went to this office to see him. We were grabbing at anything then.
"He was practicing psychiatry by that time. He had a nice office. Antiques. He said he didn't remember much about the arrow wound, that one of the victim's hunting buddies had brought him in, and that was it.
"Something bothered me, though. I thought it was something Lecter said, or something in the office. Crawford and I hashed it over. We checked the files, and Lecter had no record. I wanted some time in his office by myself, but we couldn't get a warrant. We had nothing to show. So I went back to see him.
"It was sunday, he saw patients on Sunday. The building was empty except for a couple of people in his waiting room. He saw me right away. We were talking and he was making this polite effort to help me and I looked up at some very old medical books on the shelf above his head. And I know it was him.
"When I looked at him again, maybe my face changed, I don't know. I knew it and
he knew I knew it. I still couldn't think of the reason, though. I didn't trust it. I had to figure it out. So I mumbled something and got out of there, into the hall. There was a pay phone in the hall. I didn't want to stir him up until I had some help. I was talking to the police switchboard when he came out a service door behind me in his socks. I never heard him coming. I felt his breath was all, and then... there was the rest of it."
"How did you know, though?"
"I think it was maybe a week later in the hospital I finally figured it out. It was
Wound Man—an illustration they used in a lot of the early medical books like the ones Lecter had. It shows different kinds of battle injuries, all in one figure. I had seen it in a survey course a pathologist was teaching at GWU. This sixth victim's position and his injuries were a close match to Wound Man."
"
Wound Man, you say? That's all you had?"
"Well, yeah. It was a coincidence that I had seen it. A piece of luck."
"That's some luck."
"If you don't believe me, what the fuck did you ask me for?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you might be right, and I don't even know why I wrote they were friends as I reread my answer. I don't even remember writing it, I must have been rushing through it or thinking of other things at the time.

Anyway, all the stuff in the TV show is obviously manufactured outside the book, none of the relational stuff and incidents and connections are present in the book. Red Dragon (which features Will) is after lecter has been in custody for some time, Will has healed from his gutting by Lecter, and doesn't even really want to be involved with the new serial killer case, he had retired. But Crawford begs him.

Hey, what you think, is Hannibal Rising worth watching? It didn't get the best reviews, but I didn't read that book, and am too lazy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, what you think, is Hannibal Rising worth watching? It didn't get the best reviews, but I didn't read that book, and am too lazy.

I didn't watch the movie or read the book, and it sounds like one of the largest complaints is trying to explain why Hannibal is the way he is. I think in some instances the mystery is better than the explanation, unless you can hit the explanation out of the park.

When I read "Hannibal," I felt like Harris was giving the finger to the publishing world -- it was an eloquently written piece of crap, IMO... a big joke Harris pulled over on the publishing industry saying, "Look at what I can write, and you guys will sell it, and I'll make a lot of money, no matter how bad and silly the plot is." Honestly, that's what I thought when reading it. I couldn't believe they tried to make it into a movie, and made it pretty much verbatim. Hilarious. Stuff Harris could pull off on the page because of his prose-writing skills had no way in heck to work on the screen without seeming ridiculous.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
agree, this show is fantastic. ongoing INTJ/INFP battle with ESTJ hanging around complicating things. very interesting show.

R

Riva

agree, this show is fantastic. ongoing INTJ/INFP battle with ESTJ hanging around complicating things. very interesting show.

I thought,

Hannibal - intj 5w6 sx/sp (pretending to be a sp/so)
Graham - infj (he has little or no fi)
Jack crawford - entj
Chilton - e3 (not sure about the mbti type)

Gideon - entp? (It's funny to even look at him)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The show is more interesting without derailing the thread by arguing about type. That's for the typing subforum.

R

Riva

The show is more interesting without derailing the thread by arguing about type. That's for the typing subforum.

I was trying to add to the excitement and not to take anything away from the thread.

However lolz I had a hunch 'you' would say that.

The show is interesting indeed which I have communicated in this thread itself but does it necessarily have to be a place of worship?

This is a MBTI forum, so I don't think MBTI discussions are technically irrelevant anywhere here (unless it's a personal blog).

You can report the post which have been used to discuss MBTI types and ask the madmins to make another thread.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION]

Yeah, punk!

J/K
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] is a wild animal that can't control herself sometimes. It's not her fault. She's like a large feline that can never really be tamed.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but much of the dialogue of the first few episodes is lifted straight from the book Red Dragon.

It makes my heart happy.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. And I keep seeing elk with spatulas for antlers.

My fav cookbook:

DFmq0lK.jpg

PJrNpyX.jpg

L9a2cDb.jpg

skGX0PT.jpg

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This usually means it's time to grab Mr. Snuggles.

YhxDzrY.gif

93JC

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but much of the dialogue of the first few episodes is lifted straight from the book Red Dragon.

It makes my heart happy.

:yes:

I caught one on the latest episode last night. Of Will, Hannibal says "The same unfortunate aftershave..." A reference to the line:

"That's the same atrocious aftershave you wore in court."

R

Riva

So they are not trying to keep inline with the movies.

That was interesting.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

R

Riva

^

I hope they did.

I don't want it to be a show that desperately tries to keep its main characters alive and
I want to see