• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Maleficent

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I think Mal is around 47% right now and West at 34%. Sick sick sick.

They should have merged the two into, "A Million Ways to Die by Maleficent," and just let our witchy woman go to town.

From what I've read, however, AMWTDITW spoiled all the funny parts in the trailer (like Neighbors did). I mean nearly every comedy gives away the funny parts in the trailers, but these two movies are a bit higher profile and should know better. But dammit, Liam Neeson and Emmett Brown are in it!!!

After I see these movies, I like to watch Brad Jones review them with his friends...we tend to see eye-to-eye most of the time (except for The Lone Ranger, which I loved, and Star Trek Into Darkness, which I hated).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I've read, however, AMWTDITW spoiled all the funny parts in the trailer (like Neighbors did). I mean nearly every comedy gives away the funny parts in the trailers, but these two movies are a bit higher profile and should know better. But dammit, Liam Neeson and Emmett Brown are in it!!!

I'm getting sick of modern-day trailers, it just seems to become worse and worse. I was actually sitting in the theater covering my ears and closing my eyes for the Transcendence trailer, because they were revealing way too much. (I remember when that dog Dream House was being trailered, and they spoiled the big twist about a minute into the trailer -- wtf? The movie ended up being so bad that it didn't matter much, but seriously... that was pretty brazen. I don't people to bombard me with all the movie's secrets before I see it.)

After I see these movies, I like to watch Brad Jones review them with his friends...we tend to see eye-to-eye most of the time (except for The Lone Ranger, which I loved, and Star Trek Into Darkness, which I hated).

I watched STID again last night. The more I don't look at it as a riff on ST2, the better it is... and there are some scenes that are funny and/or decent. But... I guess the biggest gripe is that it's cheap; nothing is really lost in the end, it's all "fake losses." Even Pike isn't mentioned after things are said and done. Everything goes back to the way it was, no worse for wear. Uncompelling.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I watched STID again last night. The more I don't look at it as a riff on ST2, the better it is... and there are some scenes that are funny and/or decent. But... I guess the biggest gripe is that it's cheap; nothing is really lost in the end, it's all "fake losses." Even Pike isn't mentioned after things are said and done. Everything goes back to the way it was, no worse for wear. Uncompelling.

OT: I always thought it was fitting that the Star Trek Into Darkness acronym could be mistakenly written as STD, 'cause that movie really was a venereal disease.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watching Mal in RealD 3D, didn't feel like paying extra for IMAX... and the times weren't very convenient for the latter anyway.

OT: I always thought it was fitting that the Star Trek Into Darkness acronym could be mistakenly written as STD, 'cause that movie really was a venereal disease.

Freudian slip? :D

I really liked the reboot (2009), but meh on this one. I'll go back and watch ST2; for the year it was made, it's still got some actual enduring dramatic depth.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rather disturbing...

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are her cheekbones digitally enhanced or something?

They look like they're gonna cut through her skin.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyway.... I saw it (!) in RealD 3D this afternoon.

I'm not really sure where all the hate is coming from. No, it's not the best movie I've seen. The best way I can say it is that it's like "Snow White and the Huntsman" quality w/ Jolie then added in to knock it up another level. If Jolie hadn't been in it, it would have been rather flat, but she elevates the movie.

I'll say a little here but keep it pretty vague, and keep the specifics in spoilers.

I think a lot of negativity is coming in that "Sleeping Beauty" is pretty much a black and white, stereotypical and gendered fairy tale. One of the cool things about the character Maleficent in THAT movie is that she's unabashedly evil and unapologetic; sometimes you just want a starkly, competently, crisply evil person as your villain. But you're not going to make a Disney movie aimed at 20-year-old girls on a one-note evil Disney villain; you have no choice but to make the character more complex and nuanced in some way. (Otherwise you'd be making a rated R indie fantasy horror flick.) Changes were necessary to make it work. And remember that the name Maleficent is a combination of a negative and a positive -- malevolent and magnificent. This movie's eponymous character is both, she has two sides to herself that layer into one individual.

So one should view this movie as someone else's riff on the basic characters and plot points of the old Disney movie. This Maleficent is still very dangerous and can be very coolly wicked when properly motivated, but she's got more going on in her life than just being the "mistress of evil"; she has loves and loathings in her life, she has past experiences that contribute to her current behavior, she's been happy and she's been hurt. and this leads to some really INTERESTING exchanges in the time period that the animated movie skipped (where Aurora is one day a baby and the next suddenly she's 16). Some of those scenes are among my favorite. You get the sense that Maleficent (despite being a fae creature) is also kind of human in that she isn't necessarily out to destroy and hurt all the time, yet she does enjoy feeling like she has power and agency to make things happen -- it feeds her ego, good and bad, she likes to toy with things just because she can. (Feeling capable and competent isn't necessarily a bad thing.) Maybe we can talk about those in spoilers or after more people have seen the movie.

this is also not a man's movie; men in general come off pretty poorly or at least irrelevant. The strongest male presence is not a sympathetic character, and almost all of the other characters are female... some strong, some weak, some goofy and incompetent, but still pretty much occupying the center of the movie.

I was able to guess the few main twists in the movie before they happened, but I think they still added positively to the movie. I also laughed a number of times; Jolie's dry deadpan is delicious to hear in the ear as well as see on her face. She was really wonderful. The movie would rate on the negative end without her, but she pulls it into the realm of the positive, similar to how Charlize Theron elevated SW & Huntsman but not quite as much as Jolie was able to elevate this movie.

Are her cheekbones digitally enhanced or something?

They look like they're gonna cut through her skin.

Yeah, I read they had used makeup on her. They were definitely enhanced either way and are very sharp. Maleficent always was Fae even in the old movie, but this movie really brings it out and it's very very obvious. She seems rather otherworldly even in moments where you might not have categorized her as "evil" per se... and very very dangerous as the fae can be.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I forget that Angelina Jolie is American.

And that opening flying sequence was a lot like a similar opening sequence in Dinosaur.

A live-action adaptation of Sleeping Beauty following the story word-for-word of the animated version would've somehow been less predictable than this.

And those pixies in their fairy form were creepy...while the rest of the movie was sappy...not a good combination.

At least it wasn't quite the mess that Alice in Wonderland was, but it's a far cry from Oz the Great and Powerful.

I'd like to see a live-action adaptation of The Chronicles of Prydain series, which includes The Black Cauldron.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes I forget that Angelina Jolie is American.

And that opening flying sequence was a lot like a similar opening sequence in Dinosaur.

A live-action adaptation of Sleeping Beauty following the story word-for-word of the animated version would've somehow been less predictable than this.

And those pixies in their fairy form were creepy...while the rest of the movie was sappy...not a good combination.

At least it wasn't quite the mess that Alice in Wonderland was, but it's a far cry from Oz the Great and Powerful.

Meh. I liked it better than Oz. The only thing I think was great about that movie was the third act, which dovetails nicely with what we know about Oz in the original 1939 movie. But Mila Kunis was entirely miscast and along with a monkey whose jokes weren't at all funny or cute and a kind of aimless script almost left the movie in shambles.

My worst moment in this movie was the opening, when they showed Maleficent flying around on her wings -- I was just like, "I hope the rest of the movie isn't this spoonfed gooey fairy glop." But then she got kinda badass.

I hated the pixies. But I think we were supposed to. They were dumb, incompetent, and their pixie-form faces were off in some way. It's how I kind of felt about them in the animated version, but here I felt less judged for laughing at them.

I'd like to see a live-action adaptation of The Chronicles of Prydain series, which includes The Black Cauldron.
I haven't read that since I was a kid, although I didn't care much for it. Does Disney still have rights to anything there, after their ill-fated animated excursion into it back in the 80's?

.... I'm rather annoyed that the Earthsea properties have been ruined by crappy adaptations, and even Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" sequence got really hosed by a lousy adaptation of the titular title a few years back.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
What if they made a live-action movie about The Horned King? The mysteriousness of his character makes his back story very interesting.

And what luck, his character isn't the most active or agile, so John Hurt could still play him.

this is also not a man's movie; men in general come off pretty poorly or at least irrelevant. The strongest male presence is not a sympathetic character, and almost all of the other characters are female... some strong, some weak, some goofy and incompetent, but still pretty much occupying the center of the movie.

Hmm interesting, might be worth a watch.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Saw this yesterday, it wasn't bad. I actually like it. I mean... I keep joking about falling asleep watching Superman, but I actually liked this.

Others have said that the movie was kind of slow though while I thought the pacing of the movie was just fine.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems like a lot of the movie happens before Aurora goes to sleep.

I'm probably more excited about "Edge of Tomorrow" and "How to Train Your Dragon 2" at this point.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Too revisionist for my taste. What's great about the animated Maleficent was her unabashedly evil awesomeness; that is completely lost in this one. I hope they got a different writer for the Cinderella one coming out next year.

A

Anew Leaf

Saw this last night with some friends and I made the call that we aren't allowed to see movies together being that our last adventure was Oz which was even more spectacularly bad than this was.

What I did like:
  • AJ seemed like she was made for this role.
  • Some of the CGI was fun to see

What I didn't like:
  • Everything else >.>
  • Aurora is asleep for like 15 min.
  • When Mal kissed her I said aloud, if A wakes up now I am leaving.
  • It probably shows my age since that boy looked like he was about 12
  • The over the top seriousness in moments that had that been pulled back a bit could have made things actually epic, but instead made it cheesy.
  • So... once again (this time with feeling!) we discover that the female villains of a piece are only villains because their love interest gets sprung around someone else. Really? Can't women just be villains because black is the best color? Sigh.
  • Stephan was so poorly acted I lol'd at most of his scenes.
  • Soo... Mal can like do all of this magic and crap like build the great wall of thorns but she can't GROW WINGS?! REALLY?
  • I will admit that I LOVE the animated movie so I know most of its lines and having certain scenes verbatim... sigh
  • The 3 fairies were too over the top annoying which I know is the point but there is no subverting of the story. It's not like suddenly you see one thing with two faces, it's merely the same story except that it's one sided the other way. Sa-nooze.
  • Hey Mal looks just like an angel when she flies above the clouds.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too revisionist for my taste. What's great about the animated Maleficent was her unabashedly evil awesomeness; that is completely lost in this one. I hope they got a different writer for the Cinderella one coming out next year.

I'm not sure how you make a movie marketed towards the PG-13 late-teen Disney girl audience about an unabashedly evil villain who will not be growing or changing over the course of the film. Let's face it, most Disney villains are static -- they are sharply hewn characters that serve the purpose of triggering growth or providing a challenge for the protagonist. As soon as you make them the protagonist, you have to reenvision them.

IOW, there were few surprises here. It was pretty obvious they were just gonna riff on the characters, not preserve them in the state we remembered.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Jennifer said:
As soon as you make them the protagonist, you have to reenvision them.

It's a huge mistake to "re-envision" classic villains as sympathetic characters. The movie would have broader appeal had they kept the one-dimensional, deliciously evil persona in place. Maybe Disney should start producing more adult films. Maleficent suffers from the same problem as all those Narnia films; it's too kiddish.