• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ground Zeroes...

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
First off--this is a fantastic game for what it is. The Metal Gear franchise has never looked better, nor has it played as well as this. Kudos on revamping the game engine; it is now a tiny sandbox as opposed to a linear series of hiding in boxes and stuffing awkward NPC soldiers in lockers after shooting them in the face.

However, the keyword here is "tiny". No joke--on a straight run thru you can beat the main game in 10 minutes or less. While it is only priced at $30, I was expecting more than a glorified demo/tutorial for the full game (The Phantom Pain--Ground Zeroes serves as a prologue). And in a way this method of releasing Metal Gear Solid V is kinda cruel--it will be more than a year before The Phantom Pain is released (I suspect the functional aspects of Ground Zeroes will ramp up anticipation for The Phantom Pain) and we're stuck with this. A fuckin' demo and five Side Ops. Lame sauce.

Oh, and I definitely prefer David Hayter's voice to Kiefer Sutherland's. Jack Bauer springs to mind each time Snake/Big Boss has dialogue.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The person who beat it in 10 minutes had already played through the game several times and knew exactly what to do. It was, of course, a huge rush playthrough just to make a record, not indicative of any remotely normal gameplay where you are actually trying to enjoy the game. I have seen plenty of people who don't mindlessly complain about it (i.e. taking all the negative hype at face value, especially without even playing it themselves...just look at any comment section of any article about this game on gaming websites) say that it takes about 8 hours to do everything. And of course you can choose to do alternate playthroughs using different tactics, which, depending on how you do that, may double the length or more (more stealth, more Rambo, mix and match, take different routes, whatever). Take away all the FUD and I'd say $30 sounds like a fine price for it. You can always re-sell it once you've done everything. Or just wait and buy it later. All the hysterics surrounding this game just make me laugh.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I defeated the game in an hour on the first playthrough. Half of that hour involved massacring soldiers.
There are a lot of complaints involving this game and they are all warranted.

Two things upset me the most:

-Kiefer Sutherland. His voice is too iconic to be Snake. David Hayter sounded more distinct.
-The game itself plays so great that it is far too short. Another year to play the full game? Screw that. That's too long.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I bought it for the PS4, since it outputs a higher resolution than the Xbox One, but I haven't opened it yet...too busy editing videos. [MENTION=12864]Poindexter Arachnid[/MENTION], which one did you get it for?

And yeah, I was worried about them replacing David Hayter.

I wouldn't mind them continuing the Metal Gear Rising saga. It was a smaller game, yes, but it was still solid. No pun intended.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
PS4. Never played Metal Gear Rising. I do believe I read somewhere that they were planning on a sequel.
Hack n' Slasher, right? Those games are fun, but I prefer the immersion of stealth-based combat.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
PS4. Never played Metal Gear Rising. I do believe I read somewhere that they were planning on a sequel.
Hack n' Slasher, right? Those games are fun, but I prefer the immersion of stealth-based combat.

Yeah, it was a hack 'n' slash. I normally don't care much for them, but MGR managed to pull it off nicely.

W

WALMART

SPOILERS - this is my theory on Sutherland

MGR is fucking amazing by the way, huge disservice to the series if you're remotely interested in hack n' slashes.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
^That is possible and would make sense. But from what I'm reading, Hayter fell out with Kojima when he was replaced with Sutherland.

And I like Hack n' Slashes. Rising is pretty cheap, too. I may have to pick this up in the immediate future.