• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you could only learn one weaponless martial art, what would it be?

If you could only learn one weaponless martial art, what would it be?

• Total voters

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh and most preferable of all... I wouldn't learn any of them. I've yet to meet a martial artist who isn't messed up in the head. Esp the krav maga and muay thai lot. Bloomin nutters!

Yeah I pick that.

Can't I just talk people into submission?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
It would be nice to have more ju-jitsu lessons though I probably forgot all of it by now. I am not that versed on the various kinds so who knows . . . maybe I would like something like Aikido after all.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah I pick that.

Can't I just talk people into submission?
Works for me... though it does come with the drawback of being very difficult to disarm yourself for more social meetings :(

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Krav Maga
Beat me to it. Very practical and effective. First time I heard of it, it was explained to me as "the martial art that teaches you the fastest way to incapacitate and kill your opponent/threat."
icon_super.gif

YouTube - Krav Maga on Discovery Channel

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I always though Aikido looked/seemed pretty badass, but I don't know much about martial arts.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Can someone please tell Falcarius what martial art involves the most back flips, as he wants to vote for whatever it is?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I used to work with a group of historical re-enactors, we used to do jousting tournaments and demo's of other medieval weapons. I was just the schmuck who carried shit around. But I got bored whilst waiting for things, and started playing with swords. They were too heavy, too wieldy for my weedy muscles, so I downsized and downsized and eventually found my niche with bayonets.

I idled away many a freezing cold afternoon whilst waiting for the big guys on the horses to need me, twirling and throwing and just generally getting jiggy with those bayonets.

Sadly, like skateboarding, it's a skill I once did well at, but have not practiced for so long that I suspect if I picked one up now, I'd be a blithering spazz. Shame, that. I'd like to take it up again and work at higher levels, one day.

Usehername

On a mission
Krav Maga. (Always wanted to learn it after I heard that's what JG did for Alias training. But I was like 14 give me a break.)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Krav Maga. Has no competitions or levels, and the entire purpose is for real-life use to eliminate attackers. Created in Israel.
It's the only one I'd ever bother learning. I'd have already started training if I could find a teacher. When I lived in Florida, the nearest teacher was 2 hours away, while there were 100,000 generic martial arts schools within a 10 mile radius. I haven't started looking for a teacher in Minnesota, yet.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
So most people are going for a fighting style which requires striking your limbs with sticks for hardness (Muay Thai), a sport based on a martial art (Aikido), a fighting style which half killed off the Muay Thai/ Kung Fu enthusiast I know (Krav Maga... the chosen style of guys with sloping foreheads and a job requiring standing outside doors with a sullen attitude) or a martial art which doesn't exsist except in reference to turtles???

Guys... really... a little class. Kudos to the Tai Chi enthusiasts though... 10 years down the track you could be really good. Even if you never fight it's supposed to be a wonderful look into the movements of the human body.

Oh and when are we doing the whole iron skin thing? Before or after we walk on hot coals?

;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ahem Xander - and what about my bayonet fighting that I totally made up my own style (and possibly the entire concept) of? Hmmm?

It was more show/skill stuff though than actually effective fighting. Testing, improving and honing my dexterity by pushing the limits of what I could do, how fast I could move, how accurate I could throw etc.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ahem Xander - and what about my bayonet fighting that I totally made up my own style (and possibly the entire concept) of? Hmmm?

It was more show/skill stuff though than actually effective fighting. Testing, improving and honing my dexterity by pushing the limits of what I could do, how fast I could move, how accurate I could throw etc.

I think the point of this thread is to pick a weaponless martial art.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
or a martial art which doesn't exsist except in reference to turtles???

Don't know much about the others, but you're mistaken here, Xander. Actually, there are a number of "schools" of ninjutsu, all of which are taught under the same tradition (and have been for years, along with a number of traditional samurai disciplines). The official name of the entire realm of teachings is "Bunjinkan budo taijutsu". It's been 10 years or so since I did it, and they seem to have distanced themselves from the name "ninjutsu" a bit (probably due to the Hollywood-induced bad connotations, which aren't consistent at all with the actual teachings), but it does exist.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh haha, shit yeah. I forgot. Soz :rofl1:

But still, it's cool, you gotta admit. Though ill-fitting for the purpose of the thread.

Yeah it is cool. :cool: And I think it's in the spirit of martial arts, since a lot of technique was developed so poor people could learn to fight. Like nunchakus are just two sticks tied to a rope, and obviously a staff is something that is easy for a poor person to acquire. So simple make-shift weapons are definitely part of the martial arts background.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Guys... really... a little class. Kudos to the Tai Chi enthusiasts though... 10 years down the track you could be really good. Even if you never fight it's supposed to be a wonderful look into the movements of the human body.

If I'm going to put my effort and time into learning a martial art, it's going to be whichever one is most useful realistically. From my point of view, that would be Krav Maga, and I would like to learn it at some time in the future. The rituals and such of other martial arts don't interest me in the least.

Oh and when are we doing the whole iron skin thing? Before or after we walk on hot coals?

That's easy...move quickly and you'll be fine. (Don't blame me if you hurt yourself though).