• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dungeons & Dragons, Call of Cthulhu, Other TTRPGs

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I'm starting to hate him. I've killed the little SOB about 15+ times and he still hasn't dropped my legendary weapon.
He never will. That's what makes him the ultimate evil.

The Cat

Staff member
Speaking of living the Dream.
I guess this is the Simpsons for The Legend of Vox Machina.​

The Cat

Staff member
Here we go, I think its more accessible.
This one finally gives some helpful advice rather than telling them "That's old school baby" *slide on Sunglasses while 70's rock plays*
I like the idea of giving the players full hit points, the relics seem fun also. regarding magic users, i have a d10,000 random magical effects i typically use for wild magic surges. I think I would let my magic user make a wild cast 3 times per day, rather than the magic missle thing though its not a bad idea.​

The Cat

Staff member
I also really like the idea of poisons doing different things other than death, or significantly slowing some species of envenomers

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Happy late Valentine's Day

1708051616872.png

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another classic RPG moment:

Playing Pathfinder 1e, the dwarf monk and aasimar pally flew NW in the ruined city just to see if they could glimpse the giant "Burning Man" we had been trying to locate, while the rest of the group journeyed SE to reach a downwards staircase we wanted to investigate next.

Against expectation, the monk and pally actually found it. it was a 30' tall burning wicker man essentially (we found out its backstory later, but apparently it was fueled/summoned by the burning of a ton of gnoll prisoners previously). The monk flew near to greet it and only got a fireball for his troubles, so... diplomacy had failed.

We were right near a long-running precipice in the city (which is in levels/plateaus), at the bottom of which is a huge swamp on the next level down.

When the thing attacked the monk, we thought of having the flying monk lure it near the edge, which is what happened. Meanwhile the pally quaffed an enlarge potion and buffed herself, then came at the thing from a flying charge from behind, using her "Inheritor's Smite" (an Ioemadae-specific spell) to get bonuses and a free bull rush without opportunity attacks on it from behind and not needing to move with the creature when it is hit.

So the scene is basically the dwarf is floating out over the precipice with the 30' Burning Man (Huge) taking pot shots at the little dwarf monk, and the Enlarged Pally comes swooping down at hasted break-neck speed into the back of its head from behind, throwing it off the cliff limbs extended. The blow caused a nice but not overall deadly amount of damage -- the goal was mainly to hit it so far that it flew off the cliff.

The Burning Man falls quite a ways before splashing into the swamp and then is struggling like the T-1000 in T2 before its flames go out and we watch it sink into the swamp, as it is too far away from any shore to save itself. The pally and dwarf took some flame damage during all of these maneuvers but overall they managed to throw it into the brink and snuff it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also really like the idea of poisons doing different things other than death, or significantly slowing some species of envenomers
It just gets back to GMs actually taking charge of their games and tailoring the adventure to the group, versus trying to force cookie-cutter gameplay on others who might not like it or who need time to adjust to new approaches to gaming.

I mean, are we having fun yet or not?

The Cat

Staff member
It just gets back to GMs actually taking charge of their games and tailoring the adventure to the group, versus trying to force cookie-cutter gameplay on others who might not like it or who need time to adjust to new approaches to gaming.

I mean, are we having fun yet or not?
Player: I failed my poison save witht he giant tarantula, am I dead?"
DM: Nay child, thou art dancing. "Your feel your heart pounding in your chest, the muscles in your arms, legs, and hips begin to relax and contract at seemingly random, coalescening your body in a frenzied dancing motion as your combat continues." You're dance fighting now. -1 to your attack. you have a 30% at the start of your turn to overcome the posion or its effects continue.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Player: I failed my poison save witht he giant tarantula, am I dead?"
DM: Nay child, thou art dancing. "Your feel your heart pounding in your chest, the muscles in your arms, legs, and hips begin to relax and contract at seemingly random, coalescening your body in a frenzied dancing motion as your combat continues." You're dance fighting now. -1 to your attack. you have a 30% at the start of your turn to overcome the posion or its effects continue.
"Poisoning's that so much fun everyone ELSE will be dancing with you!"

The Cat

Staff member
"What do we need torches for, if the whole party has darkvision?"
Also this scene is why Aragorn wouldnt give them a moment to grieve for pity sake outside of moria. But then he'd spent time in Mirkwood, so he was used to dealing with the horrors of giant arthropods.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's kind of the moment where I just grab a bunch of flares and run screaming away hoping to reach the crevice end. Gaaah.

"And lo the bards sang of the grievous tale of The Fall of Lumpy and how the Monsters Got Ahead."

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 11 of the Adventures of Plasmoid Girl

This is why you should never be nice to the Conspiracy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 12: The Taking of Coffee Shop 1-2-3

This is the conclusion of the attempt to rescue Zahra's roommate Khepri, who was taken by the conspiracy a few sessions ago.

This has a hell of an ending.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 13: getting the hell out of dodge

What is a great invasion story without a great escape story after?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So we are learning PF2 to do an "evil" campaign next -- although not conventional evil, just more in the way that The Authority (comic books) is evil. Basically the end justifies the means; if I have to kick that puppy to save the city, that puppy is getting punted over the castle wall because it is lower priority. And I won't feel sad about doing it.

We haven't played a PF2 campaign yet (I'm super-familiar with PF1 and still play that), so there is a learning curve. It also looks like a lot of the crazy class dip synergies were bulloxed for PF2, so we're more or less stuck with internal class synergies to work with.

I am probably doing a Witch -- either Seer Elf or Tiefling. (One of our min/max'ers suggested he's building a Sprite Summoner -- that's gonna be terrifying, he and the other guy who runs half our games are literal terrors with build maxing.) Of course, the one guy is going to do a swashbuckler or kineticist or similar.... he's back to his "go to" list for this lol, he loves combat rogues. That leaves the one guy I mentioned (who knows what he'll come up with, aside from it being nuts and highly effective?) and then the other guy who isn't really a great player and his builds tend to be lopsided and inefficient. We do need some kind of muscle, although the summoner is helping with that.

1709646977820.png

I already have a feel for her. Her long name is Mercella or something similar -- but she is far better known by the name "Mercy" which is a witchy name in itself. (Which I think is great for a character that views herself as "merciful" but by most standards is anything but -- it fits this campaign.)

With an average CHA, Mercy would be considered pretty but she has a scar or birthday of some kind around one of his eyes/ cheeks that detracts. She is beautiful in her own way, and terrible, and dabbles in secrets and knowledge, and kind of "makes things happen" -- although if you tackle her in one of her specialty areas she can be intimidating. Mostly she is support. I haven't settled on a familiar yet. Patron theme is either Resentment or Spinner of Threads.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I never heard of this, apparently it's an old mockumentary that has multiple episodes lol

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Facebook put a warning on this post in a gaming group, saying it had been fact-checked and deemed false info... :dry:

1000004648.jpg