• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Legend of Korra, anyone?

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Anyone watches this? I'm a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Air Bender and I've only recently started watching Korra.

I knew going into Season 1 that it was not going to be another Avatar, but I didn't mind that. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that it was totally different in both look and feel and tone -- different world, dimmer colors, grayer morals. Not sure I'm a fan of pro-bending, but that's all right. They managed to make it pretty interesting to watch nonetheless.

More thoughts on Season 1:

Then I started Season 2... I'm only three episodes in, but i'm just not feeling it:

Please, please tell me it gets better...

I think the main problem is that in the original Avatar, it seems like the kids really are the driving force behind important changes in the world. They discuss and make plans, they go and do things, and things happen in the world. That's part of why I love it so much. Unlike most stories, the original series doesn't feel like it's an adult-led world, and I find that very empowering for kids.

In Korra, so far, the whole crew, while being older, aren't given much to do at all. They are not discovering new things, they are not deciding on anything important. They seem like just tools. Even adults feel like tools. Everything feels rather plot-driven. I understand if that is more like how the real world is, but it is really taking quite a lot away from the show. But, well, I'll see what unfolds in episode 4 and so on.

R

Riva

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/56099-legend-korra.html

You could summon the people that have participated in the above linked thread if you wish.

Please, please tell me it gets better...

It gets better but it's not as good as the season 1.

I believer - although I liked the original series better than this series - that the season 1 of Korra is the best season out of both the serieses.

It touches social issues we could relate too: Some are benders, some are not, the social pressure mounting on the non-bender children to be gifted, feelings of jealousy felt by non-benders, certain non-benders assuming that all world issues are caused by benders and non-benders rebelling against the benders which makes the benders look like the minority and the powerless.

Amon's anger with his father and his exploitation of the feeling of insecurities experienced by the non-benders to vanquish bending so that he can get back at his father is classic high school literature I felt and I loved it.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Some of the best episodes are coming up; try to avoid all online discussions until you get to episode 10 or so.

The problem with the whole series is Korra; she's not a very likable character and there is little of the team chemistry that we enjoyed in the first series.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The problem with the whole series is Korra; she's not a very likable character and there is little of the team chemistry that we enjoyed in the first series.

^this.

[MENTION=6971]21%[/MENTION] quit while you're ahead to spare yourself the crushing disappointment that awaits! :cry:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's ok, not the awesomeness of TLAB, but watchable.

I think they initially make Korra to be a 1 season deal.... but because people wanted more, they decided to add more.

Let's just say the story gets bigger, for better or worse.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thank you everyone! Now that my expectations are basically destroyed, I think I'm going to be ok with watching the rest of the series.

I'll do a marathon tonight and get through a few more episodes before reporting back :blush:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It touches social issues we could relate too: Some are benders, some are not, the social pressure mounting on the non-bender children to be gifted, feelings of jealousy felt by non-benders, certain non-benders assuming that all world issues are caused by benders and non-benders rebelling against the benders which makes the benders look like the minority and the powerless.

Amon's anger with his father and his exploitation of the feeling of insecurities experienced by the non-benders to vanquish bending so that he can get back at his father is classic high school literature I felt and I loved it.
I liked that too. I liked the subject matter. It's pretty relevant, and it's a brave take on a tough topic. The whole thing needs more episodes though, I think. There wasn't enough time in Season 1 to have the team bond properly. The final few episodes felt like it could have spanned out a bit more.

I agree. She's not very likable, but she's not as bad as I thought. She doesn't seem very bright and I feel that she messes up more things than she helps. At least we have 2 more seasons coming. Maybe they are trying to leave room for her to grow (?)

quit while you're ahead to spare yourself the crushing disappointment that awaits! :cry:
Oh no! I have to see how it ends, but I'll try my best to keep my expectations very low.

I think they initially make Korra to be a 1 season deal.... but because people wanted more, they decided to add more.

Let's just say the story gets bigger, for better or worse.
Fingers crossed!

---

Ok, just got a few more episodes in. I'm up to episode 5 right now. It does seem to be going somewhere...

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I finally finished the whole season! It really gets better like you all said, but not great.

I realized that the only reason it got better at the end was that suddenly, there seemed to be joy again in such a joyless series. The original series (Avatar: The Last Air Bender) was full of joy and little thoughtful, fun and touching moments. The story doesn't always make sense, but it's free and liberating. The kids get to make decisions and go places. They even make a decision to take a break and go on a vacation! Everything is looser, more carefree, more hopeful.

I feel that the Legend of Korra suffers because it's trying to 'outdo' the original series. There is pressure to do something bigger, badder, so in the process there's a lot of over-thinking that eventually suffocates the series.

Maybe...

I still have hope for Series 3 though.