• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Detective

F

FigerPuppet

cyKiXre.jpg

True Detective is an American television anthology drama series on HBO created and written by Nic Pizzolatto, with the first season directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga. Season one stars Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Monaghan, Michael Potts, and Tory Kittles, and utilizes multiple timelines to trace two Louisiana State Police Criminal Investigations Division homicide detectives' hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana across seventeen years.

Discuss the TV show here.

To set the jerk off, here's the ending to episode 4 which had an incredible 6-minute tracking shot:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Crap, I heard about this show today and made a mental note to watch it, but I didn't realize it was on HBO.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I broke down and ordered HBO. (I don't like to torrent)

SO GOOD.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
one of the best shows in many years. im sad theres only 3 episodes left, but im sure theres plenty of rabbit hole to dive into before it ends.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Started watching it about 20 minutes ago. Been laughing at the banter between McConaughey and Harrelson, it's just too funny.

When did McConaughey get to be a good actor anyway? I wasn't much impressed with him years ago, then I saw him in Killer Joe a few years ago and was blown away. He really stepped up his game.

I'm a big fan of Michelle Monaghan, and even Kevin Dunn is in this. Cool. :)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When did McConaughey get to be a good actor anyway? I wasn't much impressed with him years ago, then I saw him in Killer Joe a few years ago and was blown away. He really stepped up his game.
Haven't you heard? It's called "the McConaissance". Yes, it's actually a thing. :laugh:

But yes, he is amazing in TD. I think it's the most truly comprehensive performance I've seen him give (although I haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club yet). Woody is pretty great too.

I rather like the show so far. I do yearn for a bit more plot focus, though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But yes, he is amazing in TD. I think it's the most truly comprehensive performance I've seen him give (although I haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club yet). Woody is pretty great too.

I kept looking at him in the opening clip of the current time sequence ("OMG? Is that really him?") Yeah, it was. He really seems to be inhabiting someone else's skin. The earlier timeline, he looks a lot more like I know him to be.

I rather like the show so far. I do yearn for a bit more plot focus, though.

Yeah, in the first episode, i thought the acting was really good in terms of just feeling "real". But I'm not really sure where it's going, why I'm watching those interviews, what they had a falling out over, etc. I find the characters real, so I keep watching, but it's kind of slow right now. Then again, that's like real police work as well. *shrug*

Still laughing at the metaphysical discussion(s). Marty Hart is just a good ol' boy who loves his fam, local boy serving the law, doing the cop thing; but Cohle is something else. :smile: Hart's reactions were just so great (like "WTF? You can't go around spewing this shit everywhere, you're gonna FREAK people out -- what's WRONG with you? And how'd we end up sharing a beat?" etc.)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I kept looking at him in the opening clip of the current time sequence ("OMG? Is that really him?") Yeah, it was. He really seems to be inhabiting someone else's skin. The earlier timeline, he looks a lot more like I know him to be.
Absolutely. It's utterly compelling to watch him. I really believe him in the role.

Still laughing at the metaphysical discussion(s). Marty Hart is just a good ol' boy who loves his fam, local boy serving the law, doing the cop thing; but Cohle is something else. :smile: Hart's reactions were just so great (like "WTF? You can't go around spewing this shit everywhere, you're gonna FREAK people out -- what's WRONG with you? And how'd we end up sharing a beat?" etc.)
I know, right? I really enjoyed that and connected with it. And it felt true to life too. It felt like a realistic interaction - you know what I mean?

What's your take on Cohle typewise?

I was pretty convinced he's INxP from the start. I thought INTP more at first, but I'm learning toward INFP now. I'm just not seeing the Ti. There isn't the attention to detail and he seems to go by feel more. I think I was disconcerted by the possibility of seeing truly dark, aloof, and disillusioned INFP on screen. It's a rare thing that. I'm used to seeing, to use that American word for it, the milquetoast variety. But he is a rare sort of character in general, though.

But you may disagree...

jacktorry

I tried watching this show. I lasted about an episode and a half and it felt like Seinfeld..nothing really happened. Maybe I am not a "what a great character Mathew play" type of movie watcher? Please, I need a shootout where you never run out of ammo, unless its convenient or something. Or fall through a window and don't get scratched...wait..Starship Troopers is on demand...now there's entertainment!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The first two or three episodes are a little slow, action-wise, but episodes four and five are AH MAZING. The 6-minute tracking shot at the end of episode four is the most tense I think I've ever been watching TV. Of course the real draw for me is the characters and the mythos but if you keep watching I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
This show is ridiculously good.

I don't feel like it started slowly, but I can see why some people might feel that way. There's more going on in the first couple episodes than you realize at first. Get farther into the show, then go back and watch those episodes again.

R

Riva

Love it.

Rust and his partner's wife look really good. The sexual tension (or was it emotional?) at the dinner where the two first met was quite nice. I am glad it cumulated into what happened even though it was for all the wrong reasons.

Keeping in line with the theme of the forum here:

Rust -istp 9w8?
Marty - isfj? Don't tell me he is an esfp.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tried 2 episodes and found it boring. Main character is basically an annoying intuitive that goes into existential reveries whenever possible in order to make the N audience relate to him (which seems to be working). Too much talk. No blood, no sex, lack of suspense. Not my thing. The end.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This show is ridiculously good.

I don't feel like it started slowly, but I can see why some people might feel that way. There's more going on in the first couple episodes than you realize at first. Get farther into the show, then go back and watch those episodes again.

Oh yeah. I talked my husband into watching it with me and we watched the first episodes together over the weekend. Definitely a lot more going on than I picked up on at first which isn't surprising considering I had them on while I worked the first time I watched them. It's not a show that lends itself to multitasking.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Rasofy, did you really watch the second episode? Because there's totally sex in that one. And suspense? Are we watching the same show?