• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IMDB's Top 250: How many of these films have you seen?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
'I shouldn't be alive'
The will to survive is something I find very admirable. Some stories are good, while others are kinda boring. The good ones involve the characters making risky key decisions, while the bad ones mostly involve dumb luck.

I've watched a few episodes of that, it was kind of interesting.

My one kid was watching that "1001 Ways to Die" or something, on Spike? Wow. Lots of bad ones, but most ridiculous was internal tissue necrotizing by the girl who shot whipped cream up her bottom (from a can) in order to provide a fart show. EDIT: Oh, here it is. EDIT2: I wouldn't be surprised if some of these stories are fake or heavily doctored. The one about the airline stewardness getting sucked from a plane appears to be heavily doctored from the probable source event.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've watched a few episodes of that, it was kind of interesting.

My one kid was watching that "1001 Ways to Die" or something, on Spike? Wow. Lots of bad ones, but most ridiculous was internal tissue necrotizing by the girl who shot whipped cream up her bottom (from a can) in order to provide a fart show. EDIT: Oh, here it is.
Lol! Still can't believe they made a tv show out of that. They took darwin awards to another level.

Beorn

Permabanned

Halfway there!

Mostly missing older western, military, foreign, and mystery dramas.

About ten more I've seen partially because they're in top 100 lists, but i couldn't make it through. Stuff like kurasawa, Bergman, and a few silent films.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
25/250

10 percent! More than I thought I'd get tbh.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'm not much of a movie buff.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
77/250. I'm disappointed that The Sound of Music and Grease didn't make the list, but The Hobbit and A Clockwork Orange did.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
131/250 [edit] 133/250

There's a small bunch that I started watching and didn't care to finish and that I have no interest in seeing. I can find it hard to make room for certain classics, it's like they're always around and I want to see something that grabs me. Overall a good list of movies I have yet to see.

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
half or more, 45 out of top 50
I started watching top250 about 2-3 years ago to see if they are really as good as advertised.
I really enjoyed some of them, especially the old ones like Sunset Blvd, Citizen Kane(finally got around to watching it last year) and more.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
77/250. I'm disappointed that The Sound of Music and Grease didn't make the list, but The Hobbit and A Clockwork Orange did.

Well, it's a list tailored to the demographic of people (1) online and who (2) care enough about movies to come and vote here.

I'm guessing the audience for "The Sound of Music" is far less interested / available than the audience for "The Hobbit," and "Clockwork Orange" is still often required viewing for college film classes. (That's where I saw it, years ago, along with Blue Velvet, Lady Chatterly's Lover, and some other junk. Of course we did not watch Grease.)

It did leave me kind of ill to see LotR movies on there. Oh well.

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
Lotr movies are rated appropriately for what they are, fantasy movies. Top250 flaw imo is that it is an exercise in futility to rate movies cross-genre

But it is fine argument to say they don't belong as high. But case can be made that it's a top movie in it's genre, although I wouldn't put it in top50 myself either. For me Inception at no13 is more joke worthy. Cool flick, a soild 7 :D
nowhere near the best movie even in it's own kind.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lotr movies are rated appropriately for what they are, fantasy movies. Top250 flaw imo is that it is an exercise in futility to rate movies cross-genre

Agreed in terms of overall "general ratings" like IMDB operates on.

I think we can rate worksmanship of a movie, coherence, and that kind of thing; but different genres have different goals and there's also a large subjective factor / personal satisfaction that inundates these kinds of votes.

But it is fine argument to say they don't belong as high. But case can be made that it's a top movie in it's genre, although I wouldn't put it in top50 myself either. For me Inception at no13 is more joke worthy. Cool flick, a soild 7 :D
nowhere near the best movie even in it's own kind.

I'm not an Inception h8r, much of the movie was meaningful to me and some of the acting was decent. But I agree, it should in no way be considered the 13th best movie out there. It was in part because of the public appeal of it that summer / the fad, and the theme and ending mesmerized people who weren't used to having some thought interjected into their thrillers/action films. Maybe on a production scale it would be ranked high in Nolan's works, but it's nowhere close to his best movie dramatically or artistically. (I think The Prestige or Memento should hold that honor.)

Unless I guess we're just talking about overall "general cross-crowd satisfaction."

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius watched 17 all the way through and fell asleep during about 10 other which he did not count.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Jennifer said:
and "Clockwork Orange" is still often required viewing for college film classes.

See, this is exactly the wrong kind of film to show film students. Clockwork is a muddled mess; I don't know if it attempts to be a comedy, a musical, or a serious social commentary, but I think it's tries too hard to be cute and falls way short. Please tell me that Blue Velvet isn't in the top 250; Ok, I suppose if we're trying to include a variety of genres, then we need a film for the degenerates and sickos who get off on seeing women get mistreated. David Lynch should expand his reportoire and do a movie on abusing kittens next.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See, this is exactly the wrong kind of film to show film students. Clockwork is a muddled mess; I don't know if it attempts to be a comedy, a musical, or a serious social commentary, but I think it's tries too hard to be cute and falls way short. Please tell me that Blue Velvet isn't in the top 250; Ok, I suppose if we're trying to include a variety of genres, then we need a film for the degenerates and sickos who get off on seeing women get mistreated. David Lynch should expand his reportoire and do a movie on abusing kittens next.

It was kind of bizarre because I was far more into the conservative Christian mindset at the time, even if open-minded in the typical ways of my personality type, so i was like, uh... wow. One of my friends and I thought maybe we should walk out as some kind of statement. Nowadays I just observe and analyze without worrying about all that stuff. But I do remember being disturbed by Hopper, even if I can't remember the specifics of the movie now, 25 years later. Still, Lynch has always have some evocative imagery: From Dune, the only thing I remember (besides Patrick stewart being in it) is the drop of water that sends a ripple across the surface... and from Blue Velvet I remember that guttering flame. That STILL sticks with me today, the one thing I recall, and it gives me a chill because it seems to somehow capture the essence of those scenes.

If I'm gonna rewatch a Lynch movie, right now my choice is Mulholland Drive.