• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your top 5 tv series all time

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
5 maximum, as the title says (don't be a jackass), but you can include a few honorable mentions. Explain, if possible (you don't have to). Like, what made it good, which seasons were the best, etc.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Breaking Bad (pretty much all the seasons were good)

Prison Break (up to season 3. In season 4, the characters couldn't stop talking about 'scylla'. The whole fucking season. Got very repetitive, and I felt like punching them all.)

Misfits (up to season 2, it was absolutely awesome. Season 3 was fairly good, though it wasn't the same thing without Nathan. His replacement of sorts (Rudy) kinda sucks. From season 4 on, it is pure shit - all the interesting characters left.)

Spartacus (season 1 was the very best, with Andy as Spartacus {he died of cancer and was replaced in season 2}. Got worse after that, but I was too hooked to care.)

Being Erica (this show has increased my emotional intelligence a lot, and it was pretty entertaining. First 2 seasons were the best. 3rd season was 'good'. 4th season was kinda messed up because the show was forced to end sooner than planned due to low audience.)

Odi et Amo

To here knows when...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Brilliant characters (all of them), scintillating development, genius writing (it really is funny as hell), smart and yet soulful and never more than 2 episodes from breaking your heart or blowing your mind, or, sometimes, both. Season 2 moves me more than I thought was possible...Becoming is my favorite episode of anything ever. And this monologue -

“Passion. It is born, and though uninvited, unwelcome, unwanted...like a cancer it takes root. It festers, it bleeds, it scabs...only to rupture and bleed anew. It grows, it thrives, until it consumes. It lives, so it must die. It lies in all of us. Sleeping, waiting, and though unwanted, unbidden, it will stir-open its jaws and howl. It speaks to us, guides us, some to despair. It drives others to murder and others to madness. Passion rules us all, and we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. Passion is the source of hope and the cause of despair. It is the source of life and the cause of death. If we could live without passion, maybe we'd know some kind of peace...but we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank. Without passion, we'd be truly dead.”

2) Mad Men
Brilliant show, for so many reasons, but, more than anything, it's her because of the memories I have of binge-watching it with my brother and my friends. This quote from a wonderful article about the show sums it up better than I ever can...
"Mad Men won’t tell us. It’s anti-theory. It’s about human behavior observed in the moment. It doesn’t explain. It observes. It’s not about the period, it’s about the question mark."

3) Babylon 5
Some of the acting is kinda craptastic, and the CGI is most definitely dated, and it took a season or so to get on its feet, and all of the actors are dying off early, but it broke ground as a telenovel, rewards the patient with its depth and universe, exudes so much atmosphere & soul, and is undeniably lovable and at moments utterly brilliant. The three season run from 2 to 4 is mostly just class. Londo and G'Kar, inexorably linked, are spellbinding and a masterclass in how to build up and tear down characters.

4) 24
Mostly the same reason as Mad Men - the memories. And the miracle, Jack Bauer. Season 3 is my favorite, with its adventure-like mirage dissipating as it grows more desperate and more personal.

5) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Pitch black.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My Top Five

1. Breaking Bad. All seasons were solid, but I think things got interesting at the end of Season 2 (with the Jane/Walt/Jesse triangle), and just proceeded to get really crazy. We actually did watch a guy with a few lurking weaknesses, when put into a complex and stressful situation, eventually "break bad," as gradual as the frog in the slowly boiling water who doesn't realize how bad things are until he gets there. Some of the bad guys were good, some of the good guys were bad; and everyone was actually some kind of "mix." It is one of the few series that I've seen where season finales/cliffhangers actually were cliffhangers and were legitimately dealt with.

I felt like the second half of season 5 meandered a bit, but the last three episodes of the series were some of the best TV I've ever seen. It's a credit to the writers, the actors, and the directors.

Best season(s): Pretty much all of them, although Seasons 3-4 really had the series locked in, and Season 5 was more the resolution of the entire show winding down.

2. Lost. Had some of the most interesting characters; introduced the idea of flashbacks (and later flashforwards) as an actual structural element of the show in order to explore characterization; and the actors were really solid, they were their characters. For some of the actors (like Terry O' Quinn, who really was John Locke), their Lost character will probably be one of the defining parts of their career, the role that everyone will remember.

It was also a show that took chances, didn't promise any character a free pass, and was willing to spin mysteries without provide easy answers. The show really explored the idea of community in a setting that could have gone far more "Lord of the Flies." I think the last season was kind of a disappointment, unfortunately, some of the resolutions of ongoing enigmas just were not as satisfying (or coherent) as the mysteries themselves. Some of the series finale was mishandled, but I think they got all the big stuff right, and for me that last half hour (coming full circle to the series opener) was so worth it.

Best season(s): The show started to get intriguing at the end of Season 1. What really made this 'must see' TV for me, though, was the beginning of the plot line with Henry Gale. Those who have seen it know which moment was just a, "OMFG!" and after that Lost just really bumped up a level. I love Charlie's arc, as he was not meant to be likable in some ways, but he was still driven by love (for Claire).

3. X-Files. I think today's television owes Fox and X-Files a round of applause, because a lot of the great TV we're getting in the 'speculative" genre stems directly from X-Files really legitimizing shows about the paranormal and exploration of faith vs science. Before then, frankly, any kind of "fantasy" show was purely light-hearted entertainment and not taken seriously dramatically (although I guess shows like "The Incredible Hulk" tried to bring some pathos to the genre). X-Files was very different; not only did it explore the kinds of mysteries Leonard Nimoy popularized over a decade before in "In Search of," but it did it in a dramatically complex way, with two lead characters with wonderful chemistry who drew in both male and female audiences. X-Files also popularized the idea of a "show mythology," in this case the ongoing arc of government conspiracy + the existence of extraterrestrial life. The show also had a host of character actor and comedian guest stars throughout its run, including Tom Noonan, Bryan Cranston, Bruce Campbell, Michael McKean, Kathy Griffin, Lily Taylor, Nora Dunn, Tony Shalhoub, etc. Many many more than I've listed, and all appropriately cast for the episode at hand.

Also of importance: Vince Gilligan got his start here and wrote some of the show's favorite episodes -- he had quite a way of mixing substantial character drama simultaneously with wry and goofy humor. It's not a surprise that he later went on to do Breaking Bad, which perfected that combination even further.

Best Season(s): Probably Season 3-6 were the best, highlighting some of the show's most famous episodes (like Pusher, Leonard Betts, etc). The show tried to struggle on when David Duchovny (and thus Fox Mulder) left, but things weren't just the same despite the strong efforts of show newcomer Robert Patrick as John Doggett; the show likely would have done better just winding down at the end of seven seasons.

4. Six Feet Under. Overseen by Alan Ball (American Beauty), the show explored life under the eaves of death (in a family-run funeral home). I didn't know any of the actors really (although Kathy Bates and Patricia Clarkson came in later, and the wonderful Lili Taylor for a season), and it had the interesting approach of the deceased dad appearing to members of his family throughout the series + the opening montage of someone always dying, sometimes in serious ways, sometimes in darkly funny ways. The show also had a strong gay character in actual gay LTRs on a show that WASN'T on Logo network nor a "gay show." The show also wasn't afraid to let its main characters be fucked up... and I don't use the word inappropriately. It was one of the first times I remember having main characters were generally positioned as 'good' but also very flawed... and some (like Nate) became even unlikable in some ways as the series progressed.

Best Season(s): I don't remember the specifics of the seasons, and I think they were all mostly on par with each other. The most important thing I could say about the show is that it has arguably the best (or in the top five) series finales ever created. It doesn't wimp out for cheap sentiment and addresses the uncertainty of life and how we humans make the best choices we can, based on our values and the things we hold dear, and then... step (or drive) forward. The last 10-15 minutes usually leave me sobbing no matter how many times I've watched it.

5. Seinfeld: I do hate putting this on here because so many people liked it, but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon, I genuinely found this show really really funny. Hilarity revolves around the absurdity of the mundane. I thought the series finale was terrible, and Jerry was actually the weakest "actor" of the bunch, but that doesn't diminish how hilarious the show could be with its main four cast stars + the amusing supporting cast. Who can forget "The Contest" or the show where George pretends to be a Marine Biologist or the great episode where jerry becomes Even Steven, George becomes successful by ignoring every one of his natural instincts, and Elaine becomes the scapegoat for the bad luck George is sloughing off?

Honorable mentions:

- The Simpsons: Started the cartoon prime-time revolution, where people finally took cartoons seriously as entertainment, some depth, and as social commentary. Futurama might be more "solid" but Simpsons started it all.

- Family Ties: This is my 'sentimental' series, I loved it when I was a kid and it just leaves me feeling good when I watch it, this was a family that loved each other. Made Michael J. Fox a star.

- Cheers: Just damned funny, and had a memorable cast. Was able to launch Frasier into its successful run, gave Woody Harrelson feet to move into a successful long movie character (with dramatic roles, wow!), gave John Ratzenberger his opening to become the Pixar voice mainstay, and even made Kirstie Alley look half-competent.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why? Shouldn't the best shows be liked by a lot of people?

Because I'm a snob? :smile:

More that I'm sure some people liked it just because it was popular, so I'm just saying I would have liked this show before it got popular, if I had run across it back then, and even if no one else had liked it.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Six Feet Under
2. Farscape
3. Lost
4. Seinfeld
5. Breaking Bad

(@Jennifer - :hi:)

Also :wubbie: Felicity and Arrested Development

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
24 - Probably my favorite overall though latter seasons were not as good as the earlier ones. The first season was the best.

Chuck - Close second to 24. Goofy but I love the idea, the primary actors and the chemistry between them.

Smallville - Watched every episode but didn't discover it till it had been on for a few years. Very good show.

Magnum PI - It's old but I enjoy watching the reruns.

Game of Thrones - Really great characters and acting. For a TV show, I think it's remarkable. It's like watching a movie. I wonder how much it costs for them to make the thing.

Honorable mention: Heroes Season 1 was one of the best things I've seen on TV ever. Green Acres - Sitcom from the 70s that is still on once in while and one of the funniest shows I've ever seen (arnold the pig - haha!).

Edit: Oh Lost was really good too. I forgot about that.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
In alphabetical order, because I can't completely decide. Heavily influenced by the fact that I tend to really "bond" with science fiction and fantasy series. Not saying that these are the "best" series I've seen (but some are), they're just "my" best.

Battlestar Galactica (the reboot, not the original): Showed that gritty, dark science fiction can be done well as a serious drama on TV. Yeah, the ending sucked. But that can't take away from the rest of the series.

Breaking Bad: Maybe gets a little extra credit in my memory as it's so recent, but wow. Extremely solid from start to finish, and every time I thought that things couldn't escalate any more... they did. Mostly, it's the fact that everything fit together. The more the show went on, the more we understood why the characters were the way they were, and their actions (even from seasons in the past) *still* made sense, or even *more* sense, in light of the new information. That's very, very rare in long-running series. The garage scene and "Ozymandias" will be very, very hard to top for my top moments ever on TV (one exception, stated below).

Chuck: Chuck was simply a fun, silly nerd-fantasy series. It was best in the first 2-3 seasons, before Chuck turned into more of a "superman" character and everyone knew his "secret". It struggled a bit with plot identity later on, largely due to the fact that it was under the threat of cancellation for most of its run. It had a couple of overused annoying characters. But it also made me laugh harder than almost anything else on when it was at its best. And yeah, I admit it. "Underachieving nerd falls into secret spy organization and falls in love with the beautiful kick-ass spy woman" is something that's pretty easy for me to identify with, fantasy-wise.

Six Feet Under: Pretty much everything Jennifer said about this one goes for me too. The end of the final episode, in particular, is up there (and maybe above) those points in Breaking Bad for my "best TV moments ever". Seriously... it seems silly to say it, but the whole 4 seasons (which are good on their own) are worth it for the series finale alone. Another episode stands out as the only scene in any TV show / movie I've ever had to fast-forward through as it was too powerfully uncomfortable for me to watch (David forced to smoke crack at gunpoint).

Star Trek - the Next Generation: I was sooooo excited when this first came on. Somehow my excitement let me sit through the first couple of seasons, which, in retrospect, are absolutely awful, often cringe-worthy. But in later seasons, it completely made up for it. Long-standing storylines got good, and episodes like "The Inner Light" (the one where Picard lives out the life of a man from a dead civilization) are fantastic standalones. I will say, though... this would have flopped, and flopped hard had they not convinced Patrick Stewart to take the role of Picard. Looking back, I'm not altogether sure how it managed to stick around past the first season or two anyway, but he made the show.

Honorable Mentions:
Game of Thrones - The books are better, of course they are. But the show is very well written, acted, and set, and as a fan of the books, I appreciate that it's at least reasonably close to the books as far as major plot points go. It gets a lot of extra credit for taking a genre that I enjoy (epic fantasy) and actually making a serious, quality go of it on TV. Most such crossovers to video are simply awful -- GoT shows that it *can* be done.

Highlander - I hesitate to put this one here... but when it was on, I loved it, especially in seasons 2-4. It tapered off a lot at the end, and the movie followup was simply embarrassingly awful. Even the "good" seasons haven't held up all that well. But I enjoyed the flashbacks to different eras, and the premise was appealing. I still love to watch anything Peter Wingfield (who played Methos, and is now in medical school, if you can believe it) is in, I liked his character so much on this show.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot about Heroes. Yeah, season 1 was pretty amazing.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Gilmore Girls - absolutely love the dynamic and dialogue between pretty much all the characters, but especially the main ones.
2. Babylon Five - My SO had to practically pin me down to make me watch it, but omg, was it good. So glad he did :D
3. Friends - A classic of the '90s and always fun for a feel-good moment.
4. Sex and The City - Yes, I went there. Vapid on the outside, this show does have some seriously thought provoking moments and addresses a lot of common cliches
5. Criminal Minds - Absolutely love the way they take apart the mindset of people who are...well, different from the average person. Sure its just a tv-show, but it's psychology wielded as a weapon. Gotto love that :heart:

Bonus round: Firefly - A+ for potential. Would've loved to see where that one was going.

Honorable mentions:

How I met your mother - Friends feel with a ridiculous edge
Supernatural - Safe from the non-stop bro-moments where they re absolute morons, the series definitely holds my attention
Buffy - Hated buffy, loved the rest
Person of Interest - cool concept, but they do lose their direction a bit as it drags on
Breaking Bad - A+ on cool concept, but a bit too frustrating and gritty for me at times
Agents of Shield - again, cool concept, but not nearly as good as the Avengers movie.
Glee - Some amazing, heartbreaking moments with some at times eye-roll inducing ridiculous bullshit at times.

Sunny Ghost

I forgot about Heroes. Yeah, season 1 was pretty amazing.

I loved Heroes! Well... season 1 at least. Dern writer's strike ruined the show after that.

1. I'm also going to have to list Seinfeld. Grew up on that show and I still quote it. "He's a close talker." "Man hands." "No soup for you!" "I'm a walking candy apple!" Something that can be referred to in almost every day life circumstances.

2. X-Files- another show I grew up on. Still love it. Though I think X-files has to give it's nod to Twin Peaks.

3. Speaking of which: Twin Peaks. This show was trippy in a good way. Soap opera parody on acid. Completely unique to anything else on television, especially for it's time.

4. A Game of Thrones- amazing characters and story. I'm even more impressed with it because it is a tv show and not a movie. The story is so intricate.

5. I'm having a hard time deciding between The Simpsons, Scrubs, and How I Met Your Mother. But I think I'm going to list How I Met Your Mother. Unique sitcom. And one I like to watch over and over again. They have the best running jokes.

Honorable mentions: Arrested Development, Community, Avatar: The Last Airbender, American Horror Story (Season 1)

Sunny Ghost

1. Gilmore Girls - absolutely love the dynamic and dialogue between pretty much all the characters, but especially the main ones.
2. Babylon Five - My SO had to practically pin me down to make me watch it, but omg, was it good. So glad he did :D
3. Friends - A classic of the '90s and always fun for a feel-good moment.
4. Sex and The City - Yes, I went there. Vapid on the outside, this show does have some seriously thought provoking moments and addresses a lot of common cliches
5. Criminal Minds - Absolutely love the way they take apart the mindset of people who are...well, different from the average person. Sure its just a tv-show, but it's psychology wielded as a weapon. Gotto love that :heart:

Bonus round: Firefly - A+ for potential. Would've loved to see where that one was going.

Honorable mentions:

How I met your mother - Friends feel with a ridiculous edge
Supernatural - Safe from the non-stop bro-moments where they re absolute morons, the series definitely holds my attention
Buffy - Hated buffy, loved the rest
Person of Interest - cool concept, but they do lose their direction a bit as it drags on
Breaking Bad - A+ on cool concept, but a bit too frustrating and gritty for me at times
Agents of Shield - again, cool concept, but not nearly as good as the Avengers movie.
Glee - Some amazing, heartbreaking moments with some at times eye-roll inducing ridiculous bullshit at times.

OMG, I didn't even think of Sex and the City and Gilmore Girl's! I loved these two shows.

Both were smart shows that weren't given enough credit. Sex and the City for it's take on dating, romance, women, etc. Gilmore Girl's for it's writing/literary wit. Who care's if their dialogue wasn't always believable (not my complaint, but one I've heard), the show seemed like it had to be fun for the writer's to write. They had so many gem's for lines.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mc Guyver

Star Trek (original series)

Twin Peaks

The Outer Limits

Battlestar Galactica

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Freaks and Geeks
Arrested Development
Seinfeld
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
South Park

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. The Prisoner (original McGoohan series).

2. Lost. Last season/resolution notwithstanding. [If they hadn’t set up the expectation/promise of eventually getting back to resolve all the little mysteries in the beginning, then it probably wouldn’t have been as disappointing in the end when they left too many things unanswered. But because they did go back and fill in a lot of blanks exceptionally well in the first few seasons- in fact, that’s a big part of what made the show so good/addictive (they filled in blanks the viewer didn’t even realize had been posited)- it set up the expectation that they would ALL get filled in eventually, in some amazing way. That never happened.]

3. X-Files.

4. Twilight Zone.

5. Fringe. (There are a lot of characters/storylines that hit home in a very strange way for me personally.)

Sherlock and Firefly get honorable mentions. (And I'll add the generic title of 'many BBC mystery shows' to honorable mentions as well.)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just started watching Fringe last night, so I'll see how that goes.

The Walter/Peter rapport is (imo) super endearing, as it progresses- it's really well done. But (if you continue to watch) I'd be interested in hearing if a couple of the Observers hit you in the feels as well- as a relatively NFish e5 (you seem like an NFish NT to me). There's something about this show which directly pokes the NF e5 in me. I may show up in your blog at some point (if I remember) and ask how far you got, with watching. :cheese: