• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your top 5 tv series all time

Kas

Fabula rasa
Kas' Top Tv Series Rewards go to:

1)Twin Peaks- for surrealism, atmosphere, small village drama; interesting, twisted and complex characters

2)Gilmore Girls-for dialogues(!), warmth, sense of humor, small village comedy

3)The Wire- for showing the political mechanisms behind city life, showing two different enviroments and their perspective, realism and consistent creation of characters(well I may question it in the last season)

4)Pride and Prejudice BBC- for being the best costume tv series I've seen, expressing well characters from the novel.

5)Mad Men- for cinematography, costumes , realistic background, well directed dialogues

Honorable Mentions:

6) Battlestar Galactica
7) Northern Exposure
8) Doctor Who
9) Sherlock
10) La Femme Nikita

empatheticdrunk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Top 5 (in no particular order)
- Freaks and Geeks
- House MD
- Game of Thrones
- Parks & Rec
- Shameless (US)

Honorable Mentions*
- Criminal Minds
- Bones
- Skins (UK)
- 30 Rock
- Arrested Development
- Mad Men

*I'll probably add more as time goes on, lol

berenj

MBTI Type
INFJ
  1. Queer as Folk
  2. The Sopranos
  3. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  4. Curb Your Enthusiasm
  5. Seinfeld

witchingyear

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Breaking Bad (Good writing, serious)
Misfits season 1 (Ugh it was just so crass I loved it)
Futurama (Just cause childhood + legit funny jokes)
Better Call Saul (I know not a lot follow me on this one but but Jimmy is DELICIOUS)
Gravity Falls (Extraordinary characters + intelligent writing + great humour)

Lotsa stuff I did not watch like Twin Peaks, X-Files (Yeah I'm missing)
I bet I would put IASIP here but I only watched like 2 episodes

Things everybody likes but I hate : Downton Abbey, Games of Thrones, Kinda the Walking Dead, Mad Men

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
buffy
star trek tng
leverage
dr.who
black adder

(probably no specific order)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh goodness... I'll set the criteria to: Not only have I watched multiple times, but I'd go watch them again readily.

Top sci-fi ish shows:
- MST3K
- Firefly (Probably my overall favorite)
- Star Trek (I really do think I like trek more than wars overall, though I do like star wars I don't nerd out nearly as much over it)
- Futurama

I'd have to revisit this later for another set.. :shrug:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh goodness... I'll set the criteria to: Not only have I watched multiple times, but I'd go watch them again readily.

Top sci-fi ish shows:
- MST3K
- Firefly (Probably my overall favorite)
- Star Trek (I really do think I like trek more than wars overall, though I do like star wars I don't nerd out nearly as much over it)
- Futurama

I'd have to revisit this later for another set.. :shrug:

Who is your favorite character on Firefly? I like the captain.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Who is your favorite character on Firefly? I like the captain.

Definitely the Mechanic, with a very close second being the second in command. :) I like all the characters very much though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Definitely the Mechanic, with a very close second being the second in command. :) I like all the characters very much though.

I think River is interesting because of the duality inherent in her personality. Shepard Book is also pretty cool. :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chuck
Game of Thrones
Star Trek (original)
Monarch of the Glen

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is always a hard question, but I'll just pick the ones that stick out to me the most:

Jane Eyre BBC (Possibly my favorite romance ever, best adaptation of Jane Eyre imo. The actors are perfect for their roles)
Gravity Falls (great humor, great characters, great plot/development, heartfelt, amazing cartoon)
Steven Universe (emotional depth, amazing music, great characters, great plot/development, amazing cartoon)
Avatar: The Last Airbender (this show is beyond words but I'll try. Brilliant characters & development, great plot, lots of depth, you really only understand if you watch lol)
Rick & Morty (intelligent, funny, heartfelt, clever, great characters, not for everyone but it's a lot deeper than it appears)

Honorable Mentions:

The Blacklist
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Teen Titans
Your Lie In April
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rome
Twin Peaks
Wonderfalls
Game of Thrones
Sopranos

Honorable mentions :
Freaks and Geeks
Parker Lewis Can't Lose
Black Books
Black Adder
Pushing Daisies
Allo Allo

Shit, I dunno. My inferior Si always fucks me up when it comes to lists. There's probably others I love much more than the ones I listed. I know Rome I feel really strongly about...but tomorrow I'll remember something I loved even more and it will be even higher. I also left out anime, because otherwise there'd be quite a few there.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Almost 4 years later, let's review my answer.

I just noticed the title of this thread and thought that I probably have already answered. I was pretty surprised to see what I had answered. My opinion has changed quite a lot in just four years.

Here are the five series I've watched over at least twice.

Babylon 5
- This has a special place in my life, but I'm not going to rewatch it. The series is outdated in almost all manners. Really bad CGI, slow tempo at times, simplistic story lines and 20 episodes a season (so many fillers!). I do hope they'll do a reboot, but I'm not holding my breath.

Battlestar Galactica
- To me this was updated version of Babylon 5. It too is showing some marks of being outdated. 20 episodes a season makes it hard to rewatch. And the show declined after a great start.

Spartacus
- The last season wasn't it's strongest, but I still belive the series is very intense and gripping. Probably going to rewatch it sometime.

Monty Python's Flying Circus
- Monty Python remains to be the best comedy ever made.

- I tried watching Heroes Reborn but man was it horrible. They couldn't hire all the actors, so they tried to fake it. It failed miserably. Heroes had a great 1st season, but it seems it was a stroke of luck. They couldn't repeat their success, because they didn't understand themselves.

Honorable Mentions, these series had a good season and numerous bad seasons. I did enjoy watching them back then, but I'm not missing them anymore.
Walking Dead
- I'm Surprised to find this here. To be honest, I think it's better than Heroes. Not watching this anymore, but I'm quite sure I enjoyed this more than Heroes. I still can't stop thinking how'd I survive during Zombie Apocalypse. I keep coming up with strategies how to surive and manage a community of people. :D
Yeah, it had a great buzz, but that's about it. Not missing it at all. There are better series for this list.
I spend a lot of time watching this one, but had to drop during the final season. I realized the show isn't going anywhere. They repeat the same pattern, and I'm not going to fall for it.
Carnivale
Good series, interesting plot and setting. Not sure if I'd watch it again. I dislike the time period for various reasons, but this show made it interesting for a while.
[/LIST]

Special Honorable Mention
Game of Thrones - I'm not sure if I'm a fan or not. I enjoy reading the books and watching the show, but on the other hand it feels soulless. There's just too much stuff and too little time. Some characters only get about 20min of screen time per season, and they are still considered 'main cast'. But I'm all for having a high quality fantasy TV-series in mainstream.

Okay, I'm not sure what was I thinking here. Let me be clear. Game of Thrones is the greatest TV series ever. I've watched the entire series about 3 times already. We keep discussing about it with my wife. We have our own fan theories. We named a puppy litter after (Jon, Dany and Arya) it.

Revisited List:
Game of Thrones - This series makes everything else look bad.
Vikings - The atmosphere on this series is stellar. Not always a fan of the plot, but this looks and feels so great. Can't stop listening to norse folk music.
Sense8 - In a sense, this is updated version of Babylon 5. Even though they don't look anything like each other, they share the spirit. The core message in both series is "We are one". It shows that despite our differences, all of us are connected to create a whole that is indivisible.
Black Sails - I hate pirates and ships. It took some time before I started watching this, but I was immediatelly hooked. Well produced and written. I wish it had one more season, or perhaps a Treasure Island spinoff
Westworld - It's great to see a series of this scope to take a serious swing at AI. The topic a has deep underlying philosophical discussion, and I think Westworld is on point on this one.

Honorable Mentions:
Expanse - I really enjoyed the first season. It felt like it was the upgraded version of Battlestar Galactica. It's best scifi on TV. Also read some of the books based on the series. For a while this was on upper list, but had to move down for Black Sails. The 2nd season wasn't as strong, and I'm feeling they are underbudgeted.
The Borgias - It's partially the original Game of Thrones. Sad to see this scheming family to be cancelled prematurely.
Handmaid's Tale - Not exactly a fan of the setting, as it seems slightly unbeliable, but otherwise it's doing a great job. Eagerly waiting for the next season.
Stranger Things - I'm a D&D player and a 80's kid. Such a nostalgia trip.

supersleuth

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Breaking Bad
The Office
Dr. Quinn
Family Guy
Merlin

Ha, that's kind of an eclectic list, but I stand by it.

Northern Exposure
Farscape
Game of Thrones
Red Dwarf
Robin of Sherwood (Robin Hood in the US)

Of course I hate top lists because I usually enjoy a lot of things almost equally (bands, books, movies etc) so this part of a big pool of shows.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Serial Experiments Lain (science fiction/psychological)
Poirot (mystery)
Miss Marple (mystery)
Evangelion (science fiction/psychological)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (science fiction and slice of life)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This question is always annoying, because (1) I haven't seen all the TV shows that I think might be good and (2) so does this mean my favorite 5 shows, or the 5 shows I think are the best? Or the best shows I have seen?

Since a few years have passed, my updated list of my favorite 5 shows that are among the best I have seen:

1. Breaking Bad
2. Bojack Horseman
3. Six Feet Under
4. The Muppet Show
5. Hannibal

And... oh damn... the Leftovers. Stop me now before I add another.