• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your top 5 tv series all time

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Stargate Atlantis
2. Doctor who
3. Stargate SG-1 season 1-7
4. Supernatural

And I'll leave the fifth place open for the many tv shows I also like but have a hard time picking a favorite out of.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
in no particular order and with disregard for the number 5:

it's always sunny in philadelphia

black books

the IT crowd

futurama

dr who

orange is the new black

also NOVA, which I fall asleep to every night and then have to eventually finish the episodes while awake :laugh:

Raffaella

bon vivant
My top 5 favourite shows? I only have three so far.

AbFab
Arrested Development
Twin Peaks

1. Stargate Atlantis
2. Doctor who
3. Stargate SG-1 season 1-7
4. Supernatural

And I'll leave the fifth place open for the many tv shows I also like but have a hard time picking a favorite out of.

I met Richard Dean Anderson this year and he actually remembered me. :)

counting foxes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In no particular order:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Supernatural show about very natural battles. Complex, flawed and well developed characters, fresh and innovative writing and ideas. Attention to continuity. Not afraid to take risks. Favourite characters are Buffy, Oz, Giles and Tara among others. In my opinion best seasons are 2, 3, 5 and 6.

Six Feet Under
I'm so happy people above mentioned this show, it is quickly becoming one of my favourites. Incredibly well developed characters, does not sacrifice characterisation for the plot. Realistic and heartwarming. Favourite characters are Claire, David and Brenda. Not sure if I can pick a favourite season, they are all as good as one another.

Downton Abbey
Gorgeous costumes and cinematography, interesting and engaging characters. Takes you to another world. Favourite characters are Mary, Matthew and Anna. First three seasons were excellent, but shows a bit of a dip in quality mid season 4 onwards in my opinion.

Firefly
Such potential, such a shame it was cancelled. Interesting concept, interesting mix of characters and ideas. Favourite characters are Inara, Mal and Wash.

Can't decide on a fifth, so I'll give some honourable mentions instead:
Angel, Gilmore Girls, Doctor Who (Eccleston and Tennant era)

avaxtskyr

MBTI Type
ISFP
I typically only watch comedy, documentaries, or educational shows on the television.

• South Park
  • The League
  • Arrested Development
  • Parks and Recreation
  • American Dad

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Prisoner
Rumpole of the Bailey
The Avengers (the Emma Peel seasons)
Game of Thrones

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Red vs Blue (pure perfection)
Game of Thrones (I've only read the first 3 books, but I still don't think the show is terrible. It's enjoyable)
Parks and Rec
Aria the Animation/Natural/Origination (okay yes it's an anime, but it's really calming and therapeutic and has pretty art and a gorgeous soundtrack)
The Walking Dead

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't feel loyal to any show. If I get into it, then it turns shit then I'll stop watching. I'm not an avid watcher of TV anyway.

My wife got me into Doctor Who and I love it, the old stuff (despite the low budget appearance) had some really strong stories too. I also loved Star Trek TNG, DS9 and Voyager. I lost interest with Enterprise though.

I'm also catching up with The Walking Dead (lovefilm so very slowly) which has me hooked.

My wife has also managed to get me Firefly to get me into it. I loved Serenity but never saw the series. Hold this space.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Farscape

If there's one scifi show I think everybody should see, it's this. Incredible acting with near perfect characterization and character evolution. Add to that sublime humor and dialogue which both makes you laugh and cry - and nicely complex plot with couple of truly memorable and incredible twists along the way.

Cracker (UK)

Psychological drama thriller. Again, excellent characterization, a wonderful protagonist in Fitz - the criminal are complex and real people too.

Carnivale

Beautiful series with immense athmosphere. Nicely told and thoroughly thought-out story.

The X-Files

I'm not into horror, but The X-Files managed to hook me. Home is still the scariest thing I've seen in my live. But the friendship/love relationship of Mulder and Scully is very well written, and especially acter - Duchovny and Anderson has a chemistry never seen before. Only Farscape's Browder and Black come close. I really liked the mythology arc and felt it ended nicely in season 7.

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Best philosophical stories in any Star Trek series. Characterization may not be that great all the time but the things this show managed to tell about people and society was incredible.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, that's hard.

Top 5 (in no particular order):

- Black Books
- Blackadder
- Jeeves and Wooster
- Poirot
- and either Mad Men or Downton Abbey

Honorable mentions:
- House MD
- Sopranos
- 24 (at least the first few seasons, 2 and 4 are the best IMHO)
- Yes, Minister / Yes, Prime Minister

I don't really think of Monty Python's Flying Circus as a series. My favorites seem a bit heavy on the costume side and you can probably entertain me with most halfway decent crime/mystery show (Sherlock is cool and I am currently bingewatching Elementary, still not exactly sure on the latter, many twists are predictable but so far I stil enjoy it)

Passacaglia

Battlestar Galactica (the reboot, not the original): Showed that gritty, dark science fiction can be done well as a serious drama on TV. Yeah, the ending sucked. But that can't take away from the rest of the series.
:cheers:

New BSG is, bar none, my favorite tv series ever. I don't even think the ending is terrible. I mean it's absurd from a 'this is what a group of people in this situation would actually do' PoV, but I honestly can't think of a better way they could have neatly tied the show up. And it's got emotion. Oh, the emotional power! I think other BSG fans know which scene I mean. ;) Oh, and the music! My forum handle is one of the songs that Bear McCreary wrote for the series.

Anyhow, the rest of my list:

2. Game of Thrones Not as good as the books, but I still can't wait to get caught up on this one.

3. Dexter I thought the show's premise was so ridiculous when it first aired that I made no attempt to watch it for years. But after getting a recommendation from my mother of all people, and then giving it a try I was instantly hooked. It does get pretty silly in places; I'm sure that any trained psychologists who watch the show can't help but roll their eyes, but oh man, is this show full of gritty interesting questions!

4. Friends There are other sitcoms I thought about putting here -- Frazier and Seinfeld come to mind -- but Friends remains my #1 source of weird-shit-I-have-to-stop-myself-from-blurting-out-at-odd-times.

5. Psycho Pass Again, there are a few animes I thought of putting here, all of them dark. Deathnote and Darker Than Black come to mind. But I think Psycho Pass is the best; it's reasonably fast-paced, not too much fan service, and it's gritty and dark without expressing hopelessness. The first and last scenes of season 1 are priceless mirror images of each other.

Honorable Mention: 30 Rock and Parks and Rec both made me incredibly uncomfortable for 2-3 episodes each, but when I got over it...well, pure hilarity ensued.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I dont ever really get connected to a show to get into it. Ill watch bits and pieces of a show and move on to something else. But I suppose if I had to:

Reality TV:
1) Survivor
2) The Mole

Comedy:
1) Friends
2) Malcolm in the Middle
3) House

Drama
1) Breaking Bad
2) Cold Case

Mystery: (Including those above & my own personal favorite category)
1) The Mole
2) Whodunnit
3) Harpers Island
5) Whodunnit

Some of the mystery ones are a bit stupid and cliche but what can I say I love predicting the ending. Gives me somthing to think about.

DreamBeliever

Just picking 5 is difficult for me, but off the top of my head I'll go with:

1) Full House

2) Friends

3) Boy Meets

4) Degrassi

5) Avatar: The Last Airbender

Honorable mentions to:
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- Law & Order: SVU
- Supernatural
- Drake & Josh (My favorite show as a kid, don't judge. I love Dan Schneider's shows!)

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Huh. I thought I already posted in this thread.

Futurama
M*A*S*H
Fringe
Parks and Recreation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

I love TNG too, but I just think DS9 has a better story and more fleshed-out characters.

Honorable mentions must be given to Adventure Time, and most seasons of The X-Files. (Wow, those shows could not be more dissimilar.)

I love the first ten or eleven seasons of The Simpsons, but it hasn't been good in so long, I just can't bring myself to count it.

And I think of Sherlock as more of a long mini-series, like Hornblower and Jeeves and Wooster.

Okay, I'm done. (Probably.)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Parks and Recreation
Gilmore Girls
BBC Sherlock

I used to really like Bones and House as well. But they both dragged on for way too long and the later seasons are dumb.

tardismama

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Can't get it down to 5, there's a 3 way tie for 4th, have to do top 6:
1. Glee - shut up, I'm well aware of its flaws and love it anyway. It's my happy place. I love the music and performances most, and the cast is incredible. They did way more with the material they were given than should have been possible. I'm looking forward to seeing where they all go from here. Kurt is my favorite character. At first glance he seems like a total stereotype but the deeper you look he has layers upon layers upon layers of depth with a core of pure steel, pluck, and endless compassion. Chris Colfer is incredible.

2. Doctor Who - RTD/Tennant Era is my favorite but there is something to like about every Doctor. I like that it is a witty romp of an adventure story but not at the expense of depth.

3. M*A*S*H - My dad's favorite show, been watching it since I was tiny and no matter how many times I've seen an episode it never fails to make me laugh. TV comfort food.

4. Firefly - Im a sucker for quirky Whedon wit and characters.

4. The West Wing - The quick, intelligent and hilarious banter

4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - again, Whedon wit

Basically, give me interesting, deceptively deep characters and lots of wit and snark and I'm happy.

Honorable mention to: Angel, Sherlock, The Flash and the early seasons of Supernatural.

Last edited: