• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the first book that ever made you cry?

kyli_ryan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2wX
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is a question I love asking :) In true teacher fashion, this was our discussion question at our last Happy Hour!!

What was the first book that made you cry? (or maybe gave you an extreme emotional reaction?)

My first was in 6th grade--- Where the Red Fern Grows.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
a book has never made me cry. except ones that were thrown at my head, which never happened. or maybe it did I don't know. I'm sure someone has thrown a book at my head. My brother threw ice at my head and i bled. and a diving stick and I had to get stitches. and this bully hit me really hard with a seatbelt when I was 8 and when I cried he went why are you crying it didn't hurt.oh and I was dropped on my head a few times. But no a book has never made me cry by reading

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
The Velveteen Rabbit was the first I remember (later on, after reading the Childcraft Encyclopedia, I determined that I was suffering from scarlet fever, as the boy in the story was and all my nearest and dearest friends would have to be destroyed).

A Lantern In Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldridge was the first kind of grown up book I recall really crying over - Grade 7.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Lorax, back when I was in elementary school. It still makes me cry now, come to think of it... :cry:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I can't remember. I always fought the tears until my first pregnancy and between being super squishy and having crazy hormones, it was no use. After that did not kill or traumatize me, I haven't bothered to fight it. Books that don't make me cry are almost the exception.

The last book to make me cry was Vampire Interrupted which is just a silly paranormal romance novel, but there was a long lost mom reunited with her son after hundreds of years :boohoo:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I think I was 16 when I read it for the first time.

Most recently, The Kite Runner. :aquiver: That was last week.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Island by Aldous Huxley, if I remember correctly. I don't think that was until college.

A

A window to the soul

My second grade math book when I wasn't paying attention and got knocked out of my chair.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I think I was 16 when I read it for the first time.

Most recently, The Kite Runner. :aquiver: That was last week.

Ah - with HP 7, was it the chapter leading up to Harry's 'death' that made you cry? (It certainly did in my case!)

Also, I've never read The Kite Runner before, but I've seen the film version of it. Still very emotional, though... :heart:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Flowers for Algernon some time in middle school :cry:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ah - with HP 7, was it the chapter leading up to Harry's 'death' that made you cry? (It certainly did in my case!)

Also, I've never read The Kite Runner before, but I've seen the film version of it. Still very emotional, though... :heart:

Yep... When he's talking to his parents. In the movie it's part where Snape has his flash back.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think Of Mice And Men made me tear up a little. Atonement made me bawl at the end.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't remember the first book that made me cry, since I started reading at a young age, but i do remember being hung up on "Are You My Mother?" though, when I was a few years old. The ending of some of Dr. Seuss books (like "The Lorax") might have made me tear up too.

Some others:
- Parts of "Lord of the Rings" and "The Silmarillion"
- A Wizard of Earthsea
- Boris and Amos
- The Elfstones of Shannara
- First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
- Firestarter

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yep... When he's talking to his parents. In the movie it's part where Snape has his flash back.

Aww :cry: I cried at the part with Snape as well, in both the book and the movie.

I still remember how I got to the part in the book where Voldemort supposedly killed Harry - I had to close the book for a few moments because I couldn't stop crying. Then I resumed reading and cheered when Voldy died. :alttongue:

kyli_ryan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2wX
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aww :cry: I cried at the part with Snape as well, in both the book and the movie.

I still remember how I got to the part in the book where Voldemort supposedly killed Harry - I had to close the book for a few moments because I couldn't stop crying. Then I resumed reading and cheered when Voldy died. :alttongue:

For Deathly Hallows, the part I remember most--- I was reading in the car, and at the end of chapter 4 or 5, when there is an attack in the air and someone is hit-- I remember thinking it was Hagrid and shutting the book so fast because I couldn't stand to keep reading! Turned out to be Hedwig that was hit. (Much less traumatic when considering the alternatives, I think).

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For Deathly Hallows, the part I remember most--- I was reading in the car, and at the end of chapter 4 or 5, when there is an attack in the air and someone is hit-- I remember thinking it was Hagrid and shutting the book so fast because I couldn't stand to keep reading! Turned out to be Hedwig that was hit. (Much less traumatic when considering the alternatives, I think).

I agree. Still, I loved Hedwig. Such a wonderful owl... :heart: