• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rant about TV shows and Movies thread

R

Riva

Those TV shows you love that went on a downward spiral or had disappointing endings and movies that built up your expectations but didn't deliver.

If you are too bored to rant just mention those shows (if any) or movies (if any) that disappointed you.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
"This is the end" was pretty bad. I had high expectations for this movie, but I had to turn it down around the middle because it was just getting dumber.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Golden Compass
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385752/
I got pretty excited for it, though I realize I shouldn't have raised my expectations. Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel seemed like a pretty good move, and, deep down, I just really wanted a book series I loved to get an adequate film representation. That it was to be a kids film I was prepared to accept, but not a mediocre kids film at that, and I still wish that the dark materials trilogy would receive a grittier retelling more aimed at young adults and adults. In the end this interpration just left me bored. Light on themes and even, somehow, on immersive world building.

Resident Evil Revelations PC version
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/resident-evil-revelations
Not film or TV, but screw yall rules. I really wanted to love this game as I've been a pretty huge fan of both the older, scarier, resident evils and the newer, more action packed outings. Anything up to and including Resi 5 I've loved, really. Unfortunately this latest outing, while preferable in game-play to the disastrous resident evil 6 lightens the action features that made resi 4 and 5 a success, while never really truly reinstating the horror features that defined the earliest resi games. The result is a somewhat ineffectual mulch of resident evil history that inexplicably removes some of the series' best features while keeping some of its worst. Even this I could have enjoyed, but the last straw were the scripts and costumes for the female characters in the game.

Each being an immersion breaking slap in the face. And this is coupled with a script in which most of the female characters consistently were either hitting on or seeking the approval of their male counterparts. It just felt condescending, inauthentic, and incredibly childish. Video games are bad for sexism but this game was a tour de force of the male gaze. I felt alienated enough to stop playing and I don't think I'll go back to the series until they buck up their ideas.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Then again, it's Resident Evil. What are the expectations?

////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\

The whole "Revolution" TV show (at least Season 1) was a great idea with poor execution... and it was a step up from "Terra Nova" (which was another potentially great series that became a bottom feeder).

Then again, "Once Upon a Time" is a TV show I want to like but have only managed to watch 1.5 seasons of because it was just directed at 12-14 year old girls as the demographic. I'll stick with Bill Willingham's "Fables," thanks so much.

And finally NetFlix's "Hemlock Grove," which had some interesting ideas but also terrible execution, dramatic arc, and (in some cases like "the wig") terrible props. The actors I think had the chops for more, but the writers and direction let them down. I was surprised to hear they had been picked up for another season (if I heard right).

the resident

MBTI Type
esfj
Enneagram
3w8
And finally NetFlix's "Hemlock Grove," which had some interesting ideas but also terrible execution, dramatic arc, and (in some cases like "the wig") terrible props. The actors I think had the chops for more, but the writers and direction let them down. I was surprised to hear they had been picked up for another season (if I heard right).

I fucking love Hemlock Grove.

The wig is symbolic: Shelley is so ignored and devalued by her mother that she has nothing but a cheap wig.

Alternatively, she is re-animated, so her body might reject more complicated forms of aesthetic improvements, by way of hair grafts, for example.

What other complaints have you?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
How I Met Your Mother. I mean, is there even anything to say?!

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
They need more light bulbs on the set of Copper. I'm watching season 1 on DVD and the lighting for the night scenes is non-existent. I know it takes place after the Civil War and light bulbs weren't invented, but come-on. Half the scenes take place at night.

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Welp, they're bringing Heroes back, and that show was one hell of a train wreck when it ended. The first season was one of my all time favorites. I watched all of that shit that followed though. One disappointment after another.

And it's not really a let down since I never had hopes for it, but The Big Bang Theory is really disappointingly awful for how much hype and love it gets.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I fucking love Hemlock Grove.

The wig is symbolic: Shelley is so ignored and devalued by her mother that she has nothing but a cheap wig.

Alternatively, she is re-animated, so her body might reject more complicated forms of aesthetic improvements, by way of hair grafts, for example.

What other complaints have you?

Uhhhh.... I wasn't talking about Shelley. I didn't think I had to specify what The Wig was.

Biggest gripe is that such a talented cast of actors was completely wasted due to the inept execution (writing and direction). I've skimmed through the book by McGeevy and it actually seems like it might work on the page, tone-wise; but this show tries to pretend to be edgy and dramatically meaningful like others of its kind (X-Files, Fringe, Walking Dead, etc) while never finding a voice that allows itself to be taken seriously or a way to bring real depth to its characters. It is consistently considered the worst of the NetFlix offerings, as bad as the others are good, and it was one of my largest disappointments of the season.

http://whatjennysaw.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/hemlock-grove/

I probably wouldn't be so pissed at the waste, if I hadn't seen some rich potential here in ideas and cast.

the resident

MBTI Type
esfj
Enneagram
3w8
Uhhhh.... I wasn't talking about Shelley. I didn't think I had to specify what The Wig was.

Biggest gripe is that such a talented cast of actors was completely wasted due to the inept execution (writing and direction). I've skimmed through the book by McGeevy and it actually seems like it might work on the page, tone-wise; but this show tries to pretend to be edgy and dramatically meaningful like others of its kind (X-Files, Fringe, Walking Dead, etc) while never finding a voice that allows itself to be taken seriously or a way to bring real depth to its characters. It is consistently considered the worst of the NetFlix offerings, as bad as the others are good, and it was one of my largest disappointments of the season.

http://whatjennysaw.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/hemlock-grove/

I probably wouldn't be so pissed at the waste, if I hadn't seen some rich potential here in ideas and cast.

I can't put my finger on what is wrong about your review. My argument would be along the lines of the complaints you're having as enhancing ideas of the show (sexuality being one) rather than depreciating them.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Last Exile

*screams and yanks out hair*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't put my finger on what is wrong about your review. My argument would be along the lines of the complaints you're having as enhancing ideas of the show (sexuality being one) rather than depreciating them.

Let's get down to the core here: Why do you need to tell me what is wrong about my opinion? Should I be wasting my time telling you what is wrong about your opinion? Opinions are opinions. You can have one; so can I.

I didn't like the show, despite coming in WANTING to like it. And I explained why in much more detail than you have.

You liked it. More power to you, I'm glad you could salvage something out of this mess. If I could have liked it, it would have made the memories far sweeter.

the resident

MBTI Type
esfj
Enneagram
3w8
Let's get down to the core here: Why do you need to tell me what is wrong about my opinion? Should I be wasting my time telling you what is wrong about your opinion? Opinions are opinions. You can have one; so can I.

I didn't like the show, despite coming in WANTING to like it. And I explained why in much more detail than you have.

You liked it. More power to you, I'm glad you could salvage something out of this mess. If I could have liked it, it would have made the memories far sweeter.

I don't get why you're being so defensive.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't get why you're being so defensive.

Dude:

1. This thread is SUPPOSED to be about rants. Read the title. It's not a "discuss the merits" thread. The post was a rant. And there are various rants I don't agree with but try to not argue with, because that's not the point of the thread.

2. The only rebuttal you offered (the wig) was entirely wrong -- did you figure out which "wig" all the reviewers WERE referring to yet?

3. When I gave you a longer reply + a link to my full review of the series, you only said, "Well, I just think you're wrong because... well, I feel like you're wrong even if I can't put my finger on it." Seriously?

I'm not defensive, just annoyed.

the resident

MBTI Type
esfj
Enneagram
3w8
Dude:

1. This thread is SUPPOSED to be about rants. Read the title. It's not a "discuss the merits" thread. The post was a rant. And there are various rants I don't agree with but try to not argue with, because that's not the point of the thread.

2. The only rebuttal you offered (the wig) was entirely wrong -- did you figure out which "wig" all the reviewers WERE referring to yet?

3. When I gave you a longer reply + a link to my full review of the series, you only said, "Well, I just think you're wrong because... well, I feel like you're wrong even if I can't put my finger on it." Seriously?

I'm not defensive, just annoyed.

1. Shee-it.
2. I don't care about Christina's wig.
2. Yeah.

Are so.