• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ATLAS SHRUGGED: Does it suck or is it better than Mendeleev's Beard??

Umbriel

MBTI Type
ENTP
This thread's about the novel by Ayn Rand. So where do you come on the spectrum? I think it sucks myself. :D

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is my favourite book ever. Ayn Rand is not only a wonderful writer, but a wonderful philosopher. Atlas Shrugged is the perfect mix between good characterization, intriguing plot and philosophy. I cried several times while reading it. I guess the reason I loved it so much was because a majour theme was value and worth, which is how I view the entire world--in terms of the value or worth of it. I love Dagny Taggart and I wish I were her because she only associates with things that are of worth to her and I admire that because so many times I am surrounded by garbage just because I'm too lazy to take action. That's okay if you don't like it, obviously. I don't understand how anyone could not absolutely love it, but to each his own.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to read so I can be justified in my hatred. I can't justify hating something I haven't read.

Umbriel

MBTI Type
ENTP
It is my favourite book ever. Ayn Rand is not only a wonderful writer, but a wonderful philosopher. Atlas Shrugged is the perfect mix between good characterization, intriguing plot and philosophy. I cried several times while reading it. I guess the reason I loved it so much was because a majour theme was value and worth, which is how I view the entire world--in terms of the value or worth of it. I love Dagny Taggart and I wish I were her because she only associates with things that are of worth to her and I admire that because so many times I am surrounded by garbage just because I'm too lazy to take action. That's okay if you don't like it, obviously. I don't understand how anyone could not absolutely love it, but to each his own.

Thanks for replying. :) We do disagree haha.

Good characterization? There were only basic three kinds of people in this book - 1. People like Taggart, who share exactly or nearly exactly the same views as she does. - 2. People who do whatever Taggart says. - 3. People who don't agree with her, who are of course all idiots/misguided. So Ayn Rand is hardly George Eliot at characters haha!

Doesn't everyone only "associate with things that are of worth to them"? Be a bit boring not to. :)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha ok. Why do you hate it if you haven't read it?

I think I would hate it because the philosophy sounds like self-absorbed hogwash. I also don't like stories where everyone who doesn't agree with the protagonist is a bad guy or something. The world doesn't work that way. People who like to turn morality on it's head also kind of roll my eyes, because they usually still complain whenever someone ends up screwing them over. I think of the nihilists in the Big Lebowski.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for replying. :) We do disagree haha.

Good characterization? There were only basic three kinds of people in this book - 1. People like Taggart, who share exactly or nearly exactly the same views as she does. - 2. People who do whatever Taggart says. - 3. People who don't agree with her, who are of course all idiots/misguided. So Ayn Rand is hardly George Eliot at characters haha!

Doesn't everyone only "associate with things that are of worth to them"? Be a bit boring not to. :)

That's what made them great. She simplified every person down to how they fit into her philosophy and made them each be as integrit (I know it's not a word, but it should be) as possible. Each character only served as a device to her ideals. What I think made them so great is how the good characters were good and the bad characters were bad. There was barely any "believability" in that the good characters had flaws and the bad ones had good traits. It's definitely not realistic by any means, but reality isn't ideal.

It's more than that though. Dagny denounced everything that was worthless instead of just tolerating it or being passive-aggressive.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I would hate it because the philosophy sounds like self-absorbed hogwash. I also don't like stories where everyone who doesn't agree with the protagonist is a bad guy or something. The world doesn't work that way.

That's not a very fair approach to a book you've never read before. If you don't give it a chance, of course you'll hate it.
Just because the world doesn't work that way doesn't mean it shouldn't work that way.

"I also don't like stories where everyone who doesn't agree with the protagonist is a bad guy or something."
Isn't that true of the world though? There is one absolute truth and whether Ayn Rand has found it or not, she is submitting to the fact that there is good and evil and people are either good or evil. She gets so much hate for being bold enough to denounce what she hates. I admire her courage in being so blatantly against what she believes is evil.
Every other author cowers behind literary devices that leave things open for interpretation or whatnot and they don't truly take a firm stance as greatly as Ayn Rand does.

Umbriel

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think I would hate it because the philosophy sounds like self-absorbed hogwash. I also don't like stories where everyone who doesn't agree with the protagonist is a bad guy or something. The world doesn't work that way.

Haha yeah, I'm the same. You probably won't like this then. :)

Umbriel

MBTI Type
ENTP
That's what made them great. She simplified every person down to how they fit into her philosophy and made them each be as integrit (I know it's not a word, but it should be) as possible. Each character only served as a device to her ideals. What I think made them so great is how the good characters were good and the bad characters were bad. There was barely any "believability" in that the good characters had flaws and the bad ones had good traits. It's definitely not realistic by any means, but reality isn't ideal.

It's more than that though. Dagny denounced everything that was worthless instead of just tolerating it or being passive-aggressive.

I can see what you mean. I think for me though, having realistic like-able characters (sometimes they don't need to be like-able if very realistic or interesting, like if they're a psychopath or something) is one of the most enjoyable parts of reading books.

I didn't really get that. Who is she to decide what's worthless or has value?

Umbriel

MBTI Type
ENTP
That's not a very fair approach to a book you've never read before. If you don't give it a chance, of course you'll hate it.
Just because the world doesn't work that way doesn't mean it shouldn't work that way.

"I also don't like stories where everyone who doesn't agree with the protagonist is a bad guy or something."
Isn't that true of the world though? There is one absolute truth and whether Ayn Rand has found it or not, she is submitting to the fact that there is good and evil and people are either good or evil. She gets so much hate for being bold enough to denounce what she hates. I admire her courage in being so blatantly against what she believes is evil.
Every other author cowers behind literary devices that leave things open for interpretation or whatnot and they don't truly take a firm stance as greatly as Ayn Rand does.

I agree to your first part - I expected to hate Jane Austen but Pride and Prejudice and Emma are two of my favourite books. So you never can tell what you're going to like. :)

I disagree - I don't think good and evil exist at all.

I don't like being preached at, so I like it when authors don't tell you to think a certain way, but decide for yourself. Shakespeare is brilliant at this - I'm reading him at school. :)

zago

MBTI Type
INTP

It was definitely my favorite book for a while. Reading it is a very liberating experience because we can all relate to the people in our lives who try to guilt us and the people who rise in power without merit. These days I still appreciate it but I think it is a work of idealism. Better than communism, but still a world that can't quite exist. I think in reality, Dagney might be a lot more ruthless, wouldn't mind government deals, wouldn't treat her workers so well, etc. But it would be nice if the world were like that.

I want to read so I can be justified in my hatred. I can't justify hating something I haven't read.

Yeah, you need to read it. The haters don't know what they're talking about.

I always hate that there isn't an equal amount of hatred for something like The Communist Manifesto. Communism has pretty easily been the worst thing in history. I guess it is just 'cause communism is ostensibly more compassionate and fair, although in the end it degrades into a kind of Lord of the Flies reality. Atlas Shrugged is like "FUCK THE LAZY PEOPLE." People have a problem with that. I think it is a complicated issue I don't feel like trying to go into right now.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see what you mean. I think for me though, having realistic like-able characters (sometimes they don't need to be like-able if very realistic or interesting, like if they're a psychopath or something) is one of the most enjoyable parts of reading books.

I didn't really get that. Who is she to decide what's worthless or has value?

I guess that's something we disagree on. Personally, it reminds me too much of real life.

Who is anyone to decide what is worthless or has value? Is no one allowed to have any beliefs or values because we don't have explicit authority to do so?

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree to your first part - I expected to hate Jane Austen but Pride and Prejudice and Emma are two of my favourite books. So you never can tell what you're going to like. :)

I disagree - I don't think good and evil exist at all.

I don't like being preached at, so I like it when authors don't tell you to think a certain way, but decide for yourself. Shakespeare is brilliant at this - I'm reading him at school. :)

I guess those are two more things we disagree on :)

I like when authors state as guileless and open as possible their opinions.

Shakespeare drives me insane. His character development is horrible!

But like I said in my first post, to each his own.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

True, but it's not about one's favorite novel, or liking versus hating it. The original thread was about "best" novel you've ever read.

Atlas Shrugged is the best novel I've ever read in terms of construction and story arc. It was also a good mystery story. Naturally the characters sometimes come across as flat, and the distinction made between "good" and "evil" characters was portrayed unrealistically. The long speeches may also constitute a flaw in the narration, especially considering the fact that Ayn Rand derided Victor Hugo (her favorite novelist) for adding long historical notes.

But as a long-time bibliophile, I can't single out any specific book as my favorite.

Umbriel

MBTI Type
ENTP
I guess that's something we disagree on. Personally, it reminds me too much of real life.

Who is anyone to decide what is worthless or has value? Is no one allowed to have any beliefs or values because we don't have explicit authority to do so?

No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that what's valuable to you is valuable to you - other people might not give a crap about the same stuff so leave them alone haha. :D

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was definitely my favorite book for a while. Reading it is a very liberating experience because we can all relate to the people in our lives who try to guilt us and the people who rise in power without merit. These days I still appreciate it but I think it is a work of idealism. Better than communism, but still a world that can't quite exist. I think in reality, Dagney might be a lot more ruthless, wouldn't mind government deals, wouldn't treat her workers so well, etc. But it would be nice if the world were like that.

Dagny should have just fucking taken over the railroad. Period.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True, but it's not about one's favorite novel, or liking versus hating it. The original thread was about "best" novel you've ever read.

Atlas Shrugged is the best novel I've ever read in terms of construction and story arc. It was also a good mystery story. Naturally the characters sometimes come across as flat, and the distinction made between "good" and "evil" characters was portrayed unrealistically. The long speeches may also constitute a flaw in the narration, especially considering the fact that Ayn Rand derided Victor Hugo (her favorite novelist) for adding long historical notes.

But as a long-time bibliophile, I can't single out any specific book as my favorite.

Favourite and best are the same thing. "Best novel" is your opinion, it's not a fact. Why would you think something is the best and not also have it be your favourite?

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that what's valuable to you is valuable to you - other people might not give a crap about the same stuff so leave them alone haha. :D

That's your opinion. Others may value screaming their values in other's faces.

Umbriel

MBTI Type
ENTP
I guess those are two more things we disagree on :)

I like when authors state as guileless and open as possible their opinions.

Shakespeare drives me insane. His character development is horrible!

But like I said in my first post, to each his own.

It just annoys me when authors do that because what they say is usually rubbish - like Rand's ideas lol.

George Eliot is the best for realistic characters - Middlemarch is amazing for that. It isn't my favourite book ever (much too long without much plot) but the characters are amazing.

I think Shakespeare is good at characters. :D