• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Harry Potter movie

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Been on a Harry Potter binge this week.
Forgot how much I liked this kiddy shit.

What is the best movie in yer opinion? And why?
Books notwithstanding, of course--I don't read.

It shows.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was the best, followed by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. They all started going downhill after Chris Columbus left.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
As a fan of the books -- Number 3 is probably the best -- followed by Number 5. I like those because they take appropriate aesthetic liberties while keeping true to the spirit of the books. That's my opinion about adaptations in general anyway -- you can never create something that is exactly like the book. You have to 'reimagine' it to make it interesting. The last 3 movies (6, 7.1 & 7.2) are a bit too dark than they need to be but are pretty decent.

Might be useful to know that I was interested in the movies enough to go see all but one in theaters, but not interested enough to rewatch any of them, so that's where I'm coming from. :blush:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is my personal favorite. I absolutely hate the third movie, Prisoner of Azkaban . They leave SO much out. Drives me nuts.

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll have to do some re-watching to decide on a favorite. I'm leaning toward 1 or 6 for some reason.

Goblet of Fire is probably my least favorite. They all were going through that ugly/awkward phase. Makes it really hard to watch.

harry-potter-and-the-goblet-of-fire.jpg

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was the best, followed by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. They all started going downhill after Chris Columbus left.

...really? Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was the worst film in my opinion. My dad and I swore off the potter films that followed by expecting them to be as bad. A shame, since once I actually watched the rest of the films I found them much higher in quality. I'm not the only one either. The Chamber of Secrets received the lowest metacritic score of all the films. http://www.metacritic.com/movie/harry-potter-and-the-chamber-of-secrets

My favorite is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix just for the Umbridge scenes.

Random Harry Potter film fact for you guys. Alan Rickman (The actor for Snape, as if you didn't know) was clued in to Snape's secret past with Lily Potter by Rowling herself, who made Rickman promise not to tell anyone. Rickman included this past in his portrayal of Snape, even in the earliest films.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I speak from the perspective of someone who only read the first few books, but did see all the movies in pretty rapid succession in order to see the last one in the theater.

My favorite movies out of them all were (I think) #3 (prisoner), #6 (half-blood) and #7b (the final movie). The first two movies seemed pretty light fare to me and aimed at younger kids. I really sat up and took notice with #3. But there were just some key scenes in the very last movie that I still resonate with personally and that will stick with me a long time.

I'll have to do some re-watching to decide on a favorite. I'm leaning toward 1 or 6 for some reason.

Goblet of Fire is probably my least favorite. They all were going through that ugly/awkward phase. Makes it really hard to watch.

The best part of GoF for me was the whole bit around the cauldron at the end, with Harry and Valdemort meeting. For a kid's movie, that was part was surprisingly gruesome and even creepy.

My favorite is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix just for the Umbridge scenes.

I'll give you that. Umbridge... ick. ;)

Random Harry Potter film fact for you guys. Alan Rickman (The actor for Snape, as if you didn't know) was clued in to Snape's secret past with Lily Potter by Rowling herself, who made Rickman promise not to tell anyone. Rickman included this past in his portrayal of Snape, even in the earliest films.

Yes. I think it was a smart move. I can't imagine anyone but Rickman doing the part, he was excellent (multi-layered performance), and it was important for that through-line to be there. That's why the memory scene in the last movie is so memorable and heart-breaking.

I also liked the fact that Dumbledore -- while being a force for good -- was not innocent. In fact, the only thing that kept him from coming off badly in regards to how he used Harry was the understanding that he was also willing to sacrifice himself when it made sense to do so.... he did not exclude himself from his own machinations.

Yeah, sorry. I can't relate to that one iota, I have the exact opposite opinion.

The last 3 movies (6, 7.1 & 7.2) are a bit too dark than they need to be but are pretty decent.

Lol, that's a selling point for me, not a negative. :)

Not that I mind positive movies (I'm even a fan of the remake of "The Parent Trap" and "The Princess Diaries," sigh, among other things); for me, I guess I just think that if Valdemort is really as evil as portrayed, then the movies will necessarily be permeated by darkness; and of course, the darker things are, the more the light stands out. It's a tonal thing for me, and since the storyline wanted to grapple with this guy who was so bad that he killed and maimed others and took some pretty dark steps in order to "live forever," well, the movies should reflect it.

But it's why some parts resonated with me. The movie(s) deal heavily with loss, especially near the end, and as someone who has lost a lot, I recognized many of the lessons being taught. It authenticated the story for me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Azkaban and Phoenix get my vote.

And I thought those two were the worst. Phoenix especially because the whole thing was basically a montage. Azkaban because it wasn't nearly as dark as Chamber (while it may have had dark elements, it didn't have any atmosphere like Chamber) nor did it have any sense of wonder like Sorcerer's. It was just goofy, and Chamber probably had the best special fx of any of the movies.

And the other Potter movie that sucked was Half-Blood Prince, mostly because it was boring.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I was never a *huge* Harry Potter fan.

I think I only saw the first four films.

The only harry potter book I actually read was Prisoner of Azkaban, and I enjoyed it. I watched it before I saw the film, and I actually thought it did the book justice. So I'm going to say the third film.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Half Blood Prince pissed me off.

I liked Phoenix because it was the one movie not riddled with rampant Deus Ex Machina. It also boiled Harry Potter down to essence--it was the "Christopher Nolan/Dark Knight" of the series.

Plus, the duel at the finale gives me chills, it's that good.

Nicodemus

And I thought those two were the worst. Phoenix especially because the whole thing was basically a montage. Azkaban because it wasn't nearly as dark as Chamber (while it may have had dark elements, it didn't have any atmosphere like Chamber) nor did it have any sense of wonder like Sorcerer's. It was just goofy, and Chamber probably had the best special fx of any of the movies.
Interesting. I don't agree with anything you have said here.

R

Riva

^ maybe the u was joking.

Favourite book - The Prisoner of Azkaban
Favourite movie - Hmmm... can't think of a favourite one at the moment. I guess I like them all for sentimental reasons. I like that ability in me: to like something for sentimental reasons even if it is mediocre. I'm not saying they are mediocre though. Infact most of them were really good.

R

Riva

Favourite book - The Prisoner of Azkaban
Favourite movie - Hmmm... can't think of a favourite one at the moment. I guess I like them all for sentimental reasons. I like that ability in me: to like something for sentimental reasons even if it is mediocre. I'm not saying they are mediocre though. Infact most of them were really good.

Wait that isn't exactly accurate. I hated the lost ending and the conclusion of the red john aspect of the mentalist. Urgh!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find myself rewatching the Half-blood prince the most. It's...I dunno, the best of both worlds. It has that 'the storm is coming' vibe while still having the familiar, magical setting that I fell in love with in the first movie, the craziness that is Hogwarts. But they're...they're growing up, and they are getting more and more control over their lives, becoming more than mere pawns. The entire chessboard is just about revealed and they're getting ready to play.

I always did love the anticipation of a good thunderstorm.

I enjoy rewatching them all, but Half blood prince, followed by order of the Phoenix balance those two worlds best I feel. The first one is exhilarating for the first part of the movie - when the world is introduced. The actual storyline that follows is meh though. The second on interests me the least though the story line is marginally better and the rest of them are fun, but more trivial and thematic. The Hallows are indeed too doom and gloom.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Half Blood Prince made me feel indifferent. Not a good signal from what is commonly referred to as the best book and story.

While the series drastically "matured" with this entry (and this is a good thing) it didn't translate properly to film for me. It was the movie I anticipated the most and I was very disappointed with the end result.