• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Not Liking Something Because It's Popular

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
For every popular action, there is an equal and opposite hipster reaction.

S

Stansmith

IDK... a couple of counterphobic 6's I know are very against popular mainstream stuffs. My sister is one of those types. On top of that, she criticizes others and believes that most people do things as an effect of popular culture. Such as, people are purposefully being rebellious, or I became a vegetarian because it was the hot new hippy trend. It makes me think she is often influenced and counter the influence of the general public.

The girl I mentioned in my first post was similar and she was always purposefully rebellious. I found it obnoxious.

I'm certain 4's probably do something similar, since we have that whole elitism thing. But there's a big part of us that strives for authenticity, too. For me, that means giving in to my guilty pleasures even if I don't always find them to be cool.

I think some Sexual 3w4s, as well as some 3w4-fixers, are among the most pretentious.

Sunny Ghost

I think some Sexual 3w4s, as well as some 3w4-fixers, are among the most pretentious.

I think, somehow it bothers me less when a 4 does this. I was just reminded of a ENFP I knew in college who was likely a 4w5. He was incredibly pretentious and elite. I think the difference is often in that the 6's I knew were more keen to point out how they were going against the mainstream, whereas a 4 is more likely to point out it's bad taste.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm gonna hate everyone who's popular on here cuz I want to be a hipster

93JC

I disliked popular things before it was popular to dislike popular things.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Regarding the OP, I hate that attitude. People who think like that tend to believe that you are what you like, and you can't be special if everyone likes the same things you do. It gives them a belief that they have a level of discernment and taste that eludes the average person.

Some have said that they feel sad when something they like blows up and becomes popular. I LOVE when this happens. When I like something, I want good things for it and I want it to be successful. I also want more people to be able to enjoy it.

I think both of these attitudes also have an origin in the belief that something popular is compromised and something unpopular is pure. I cannot emphasize how much utter bullshit is contained in that thought process.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I hate The Walking Dead with a passion. EVERYONE I know loves it. I watched the first few episodes & then it just got too stupid for me. Now, people accuse me of hating it just because it's popular but that just isn't the case. It just reminds me of the zombie-survivor version of 90210.

wolfy

awsm
I can understand the angle if the fans are annoying. I've made it a rule to like what I like since I was 15.

Jaguar

Some have said that they feel sad when something they like blows up and becomes popular. I LOVE when this happens. When I like something, I want good things for it and I want it to be successful. I also want more people to be able to enjoy it.

I think both of these attitudes also have an origin in the belief that something popular is compromised and something unpopular is pure. I cannot emphasize how much utter bullshit is contained in that thought process.

Bingo.

Over the course of my life, I have seen where many things were headed, and I made my move accordingly. When they became popular, it would have made little sense to be pissed off about it. (Especially since I benefitted financially.)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, this. People who do amazing things deserve recognition.

Also, I really love that I can actually talk with people about my interest now. As an example, I've been reading A Song of Ice and Fire since 2000, and every time I used to bring it up the conversation died quickly. With HBO making Game of Thrones now, I finally get to talk about this fantasy book series with people in my life. I never dreamed that I would be able to make George R.R. Martin jokes with my co-workers.

(PS: The joke in question - Why does George R.R. Martin not use Twitter? Because he killed all 140 characters.)

Mole

Permabanned
I have recently started going to the movies. And now I see all the movies, good and bad.

Movies are of course popular culture and I now find I share this culture with just about anyone.

Who would have guessed? I am Mole on a site devoted to pop psychology and I follow pop culture in the movies and I talk about pop culture with almost everyone I meet.

I have moved from being a literate elitist to an electric popularist. And it's all your fault.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I have recently started going to the movies. And now I see all the movies, good and bad.

Movies are of course popular culture and I now find I share this culture with just about anyone.

Who would have guessed? I am Mole on a site devoted to pop psychology and I follow pop culture in the movies and I talk about pop culture with almost everyone I meet.

I have moved from being a literate elitist to an electric popularist. And it's all your fault.

You truly are an INFP. Hopping from one thing to the next. You sure you aren't Toad instead of Mole? :thinking:

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is annoying, though I admit I probably do it at least a little. It's not really so much because something's popular though as because of why it's popular. If others like it because it is popular, I'm more likely to not want to have anything to do with it. If there are other reasons though, then I don't really care.

tralala

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It's human.

It's apart of the creative process.

It only encourages us to build other things. Getting stuck on something would cease innovation.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I only like things others like.

All those esoteric weird 'artistic' or 'meaningful' movies are for loner chucklehead losers. Seriously, if my friends don't like it, it has to be bad, right?

After all, popularity is the arbiter of everything. I tend to go by the rule that if it isn't popular, it isn't worth noting.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP