• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and Musical Appreciation

Loxias

MBTI Type
INxj
Enneagram
4w5
Apparently I am an INTJ 4w5.

My music tastes are, in ordered of time spent listening (with 5 main artists listened to) :
-Black Metal (Darkthrone, Mayhem, Drudkh, S.V.E.S.T., Deathspell Omega)
-NeoFolk/Post-Industrial (Coil, Death in June, Current 93, Allerseelen, Dernière Volonté)
-Classical (Mahler, Stravinsky, Mozart, Prokofiev, Vivaldi)
-Experimental/Indie (Sonic Youth, sunnO))), Ghost, Boris, Six Organs of Admittance)
-Thrash/Death Metal (Deströyer 666, Bathory, Morbid Angel, Unleashed, Nile)
-J-Rock/Visual Kei (Luna Sea, Pierrot, L'arc-en-ciel, gackt, kagrra,)
-Melodic Metal (In Flames, Machinae Supremacy, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Insomnium)
-Enka/Old-School Asian (Teresa Teng, Itsuki Hiroshi, Kayama Yuzo, Misora Hibari)

I also don't mind when jazz, oi/crust punk, disco, middle eastern music and hip hop are played, but I rarely listen to them on my own.

I can't stand reggae, radio hits, ska, dancehall, reggaeton, rockabilly, most non-progressive rock actually, and a lot of indie (stuff like Animal Collective, Port O'Brein, and all that hipster stuff is particularly unpalatable).

I like musics that :
-can put me in trance and make my mind convey ideas and visions.
-is unpredictable, well composed, with surprises, originalities, efficient interplay of instruments.
-that I can catch myself singing or humm along to when I am working on something, as some kind of lubrican to thoughts.

kingofdufferin

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
And proud of it! :laugh:

My taste in music is very eclectic. How it relates to type? I don't know and I don't care, I'm still going to listen to what I like listening to.

That's how I choose my music too. I'm always looking for a new favorite to add to my collection from various genres. I like songs with depth primarily (both instrumental depth and lyrical depth), but this doesn't rule out house/ drum and bass music for me, as long as it has either a dark industrial or sinister feel or an inspirational sound. This eclectic musical preference is probably due to their intuitive feeling, combined with judging, which causes the INFJ to explore various genres but also have specific preferences based on what they're naturally drawn to.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
I enjoy most mussic, but I suppose I listen to dance/indie pop/synth pop/ folk.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know about other INFP's, but I , myself, listen to old rock n' roll, psychedelic hippie stuff, underground music, "outsider" music and experimental (or "avant-garde") music. I like to stray as far away as posisble from mainstream music (with the exception of Lady Gaga :) ) But, yeah, you get the picture. When I play my music loud, everyone looks at me like "WTF?! o_O" lol.

My ISFJ mother likes soft, pretty music.

My INTP father likes classical and jazz music.

My ESFJ friend has an eclectic taste in music and will listen to anything.

My ENTJ friend likes metal. (I'm not sure he's an ENTJ though, I'm just guessing. ;) )

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
ISTJ dad likes 60s, 70s and 80s rock, grunge, Bowie and girly ballads.
ISFP mom likes poppy music (Lady Gaga, Mika, etc), metal and 60s rock.
I like almost everything, except for girly songs, ballads, Christian rock and R&B from approximately 1995-2005 (so let's say everything except the music depressed housewives listen to).

soft

MBTI Type
infp
i like lots of music.. I listen to many bands because of lyrical content. i love any lyrics that i feel a connection to. i love emotional stuff.... what else can you expect from an INFP?

I love all these bands, especially for their lyrics/emotion:
Brand New
Cursive
The Lawrence Arms
mewithoutYou (before they became really preachy, not a big fan of those lyrics)
Say Anything
Motion City Soundtrack
Saves the Day
Braid
Death Cab
Bear Vs. Shark
At the Drive-In

i also like a lot of indie-proggy-ish(w/e) music, but i never really listen to that stuff for the lyrics.
Minus the Bear
Appleseed Cast
Portugal. The Man
Circa Survive
TSOAF
Mars Volta
Grizzly Bear
Coheed and Cambria
These Arms Are Snakes
TREOS

so yeah... my music taste has been called lame plenty of times but i don't care. i can't help but dig it.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm getting the feeling there are no particular trends here.

Pretty much

I grew up on R&B/Soul/Hip-Hop, but as I've gotten older, my catalogue has gotten more diverse.

Can't say that it's tied to any feelings or loyalty. If it's good, it's good.

MBTI Type
ENTP
who's noticed how rapidly popular every thread with the word "music" in the title becomes? (who hasn't?)

why does this happen? rarely does an extended discussion occur in response to the thread title. more often, the only exchanges between members are along the lines of "hey, i listen to them too, high five," and otherwise, member after member uses the thread as an excuse to list individual artists and say "this band's persona is cool, just like me."

the relationship between type and music is not "what" one listens to, but "why". why do you listen to the music you like? how do you experience music?

homesick.alien

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I'm an INFJ, and I would probably say I mostly listen to rock, indie and classical music. Sometimes I'm in the mood for blues or pop (Dido!) but generally the three genres I stick to.

A few musicians i like:
Radiohead
Led Zeppelin
Mendelssohn
Pink Floyd
Jeff Buckley
Damien Rice
Rachmaninoff
Talking Heads
Phillip Glass

I care most about the arrangement and lyrics (if there are any) of a piece of music. My only criteria for trying out a new musician is to that the musician/s have actually written the music themselves. I place high importance on originality. I need to 'feel' that connection between the music and the artist.

That's the thing with classical music: it's so timeless because it's in a completely different league to the other genres.

To be honest though, I don't think a Personality Type would influence taste in music much. Maybe very minimal, but not much, maybe just how open-minded you are to different genres. I reckon its more to do with the environment you are living in, and the influences from people around you.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ, into prog rock, pop/rock, rock, 80s synth pop, electronica, classical, jazz.

My favorites would include:
Genesis and their member's solo careers, especially of Tony Banks, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Phil Collins, Mike and the Mechanics.
Kate Bush
Eddie Jobson
Nik Kershaw
Fleetwood Mac
Massive Attack
Steve Winwood
ABC
The Police
Sting
Pet Shop Boys
The Dream Academy
Eurythmics
ELO
Billy Joel
Supertramp
Steve Miller Band
Art of Noise
Rachmaninoff
Stravinsky
Tchaikovsky
Benny Goodman
Glenn Miller Band

to name a few. Varied musical tastes, but I'm more old school.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My ISFP friend - alt rock/jazz
My ISTP friend - alt rock
My INTJ brother - dance/trance
My INTJ father - classical/country
My INFP mother - anything goes, thought gravitates to alt pop rock
Myself INFP - anything goes, exception being heavy doom metal

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I listen to mostly conscious/less mainstream hip hop...

Common
The Roots
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
De La Soul
Arrested Development

Those kind of artists.

But I also listen to some other things like Liz Phair, Norah Jones, The White Stripes, etc.

I mostly listen to the hip hop, but it has to be something that sends some kind of a message or has ridiculous wordplay (depending on mood). I'll get a new album and just listen to it over and over and over. I rarely shuffle my music unless I'm running. I try to get a feel for a full album and just really absorb it. I love finding things I missed in songs I thought I knew inside out.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My favourite gender is Gothic Metal: Epica, Nightwish (in the times of Tarja Turunen, not now), Within Temptation, Nemesea.

I also love Classical: Dmitri Shostakovich, Wagner, Bach and Beethoven are among my favourite composers.

I love this kind of music because it´s original, timeless, and gives me loads of inspiration.

Also, I listen to music of many genres and parts of the World too (I have many discs from Putumayo World Music)

But I can´t stand latin genders such as "cumbia", "merengue", "reggaeton", among others. Their songs are repetitive and I find the lyrics to be stupid.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I love rock.... classic rock specifically...

also Classical music/Opera.

... Disney movie Osts:ninja::blush:

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
So I was wondering if this is related to a person's type. When a person is able to choose one particular genre as superior over others, are they more likely to be J? Is the person in the example above just closed-minded, or is my taste just unrefined?

I doubt it, there are a lot of cultural and environmental reasons why people chose a certain genre of music... I'm sure you can try to find trends but I think if we try hard enough we can find trends in just about anything, it doesn't really mean that any of it holds any water though....

Nrrrd GrrrL aMe

MBTI Type
INFJ
I like all kinds of music, mainly rap, rock, alternative. I love listening to the words in songs. Depressing/chipper... most the time i see it as poetry. Even if a song has no lyrics, the instruments can be so amazing all on their own. What I find most odd about my choice of music, is it changes as my moods change. I prefer listening to sad music when i am low... I find it inspirational. Up-beat music when I am happy. Jazz/classic when I am lazy and feel like relaxing. Heavy metal/rock when I feel on edge and ready to punch a pillow. Chopped and screwed when I am feeling well, chopped and screwed! Music is my mood ring.

INTPhonetics

MBTI Type
INTP
What type are you?
INTP

What kind (genre preferably) of music do you primarily listen to? Why?
Whatever "alternative" means anymore, that's it. Alternative rock, heavy, dirty and raw blues, underground political hip hop, experimental math rock, various subgenres of industrial music, post metal, folk, 70's era punk, some classical, ambient, trip hop, other electronic music (if I'm in the mood), it goes on. In short, I love nearly every genre (I certainly haven't named them all), I'm just picky about each of them.

Do you value lyrics over the musical content? Or visa versa?
I suppose it depends...but if I think of the lyrics as remotely devoid of merit, I disregard the song altogether.

How do you think this music reflects upon you as a person?
I think it helps me to be more emotionally in tune with people than anything or anyone else, considering it isn't my strong point. It's helped a lot. It's also helped me to let certain things go. I began picking up an electric bass and producing my own music when my only uncle took his own life, pretty severe, but extremely important...his influence has taught me many lessons since. I was never one for being sentimental, but I sure am as close to it as I'll ever be now. I don't know where I'd be without music.

Jaguar

If I only listened to one genre, my overall interest in music as a whole would be pretty limited. It's easier to say what I don't have a preference for and that's Rap.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I only listened to one genre, my overall interest in music as a whole would be pretty limited. It's easier to say what I don't have a preference for and that's Rap.

I don't really like rap or country, overall, although I admit there are exceptions and that my knowledge of them as genres is extremely limited. I don't have an issue with people who like it; it's just not something I relate to. I'm a dorky white kid from a densely populated area who tended to be more into classic rock/film soundtracks growing up. I branched out into contemporary and more esoteric stuff later, but generally the stuff I like the most tends to be the stuff that is "uncool" to like. I'm open to discovering new things I like but I don't have the energy to obsessively dog through the local scene to find something that's non-mainstream, and I feel too old for that, anyway.

Regarding lyrics, I think I place a stronger emphasis on them than most people. The best stuff coming out nowadays is stuff that tends to be at least a little poetic, IMO.

I think the music I like says a lot about me, in that I'm not really sure if I'm old-fashioned or ahead of the curve. I don't and will never choose music based on how it will "appear" to others. I think music should be personal, and it's one of those things I'm not willing to negotiate on to suit the whims of other people. I don't give a damn if people think the stuff I like is overly sentimental or pretentious or dated; they don't have to listen to it. Only I do.

I guess I like artists who aren't afraid to be different or say something passionate or interesting. I don't expect everyone to be up for that, and it's fine.

As an example, I liked the White Stripes in high school, and people disliked it because it was too simple. For me, it was incredibly refreshing, because it seemed raw and real; like it cut through all the bullshit. And there was a lot of bullshit in the air during those years. I can't remember what bands people were supposed to like back then, but Jack White has shown that he has staying power (apparently Meg couldn't deal with the fame).