• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and Musical Appreciation

P

Phantonym

INFJs tend to have crappy musical taste too. Lots of indie crapfest.

And proud of it! :laugh:

My taste in music is very eclectic. How it relates to type? I don't know and I don't care, I'm still going to listen to what I like listening to.

Tycho

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Years ago, a research in Holland found that teenagers who listened to "all kinds of music" are the ones with the most problems. It must be because they can swing between many different moods. Not sure if that's type-related.

I think I use music to 'suck in' all of its emotional content and get familiar with its moods; I can listen to a certain album many times over a few weeks, subconsciously examining my emotional response to it, and once I understand it, I start listening to something else. I listen mostly to classical music because I find it 'richer', more layered, more varied.. If I didn't like classical music I would've probably tried to listen to as much different styles as possible.

Sometimes I wonder if the music I expose my brain too actually changes things; if I would've become a different person if I hadn't spent so much time in private, trying to feel things that I would've never experienced otherwise, and that most people of my age are completely unfamiliar with. I also wonder if I can become more normal by listening to popular radio stations.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoy all kinds of music.

But I am a die-hard HouseHead. And I generally don't stray from house, and if I do, it's other types of electronic music. If I stray further, jazz, acid jazz, hip-hop, classic rock, punk....

One of my fave songs is a acid house remix of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall"..

However, there are all types of folks in the culture, and that's what initially attracted me to it.

My best buds within the community are INFPs and ENTPs. A couple INTJs. Seems to be a lot of these types around actually.

I'm a weird INFJ.... :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like all kinds of music...from folky acoustic to classical to jazz to house ,lounge, ambient, trance, break beat and drum n bass...etc etc

basically i'm drawn to music that affects me emotionally in a positive way and dislike music that makes me feel bad like country or some of the harder angrier metal stuff

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I listen to a little of everything really- except for Garth Brooks and Celine Dion :sick:

I generally like things that are great for listening to while driving or doing something though... whether it's way over the top classical music (I like opera! :cheese:), Punk Covers of classic rock and country songs, ok... almost all punk that's not modern pop punk shit... dwight yoakam, I do like bluegrass and Hank Williams Sr as well, reflecting where I'm from I guess :laugh: And don't most people like classic rock and 80s music? :huh:

In high school I listened to Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against The Machine, since the adults did not approve :cool:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my parents didn't care... the other adults in town did... I drove with windows down and music turned up in a small rural bible belt town! :D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
my parents didn't care... the other adults in town did... I drove with windows down and music turned up in a small rural bible belt town! :D

other adults in town? :wtf: thats just insane..

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm getting the feeling there are no particular trends here.

tastes_like_purple

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
I'm pretty much into everything:D
I mainly listen to just rock and sub genres of it.

But i like classical music, RnB sometimes, electronica etc:D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm getting the feeling there are no particular trends here.
Lol, I'm getting that feeling too - at least, in terms of genre. But in terms of why particular music is chosen, there might still be something. Kind of.

I might as well share mine, though:
I will listen to most things that are shared with me, i.e. there is very little music that I absolutely loathe. My favorite music is music that creative or splashy or impressive in some way, be it instrumentation (e.g. Sufjan Stevens and his oboe/banjo/etc. arrangements), songwriting (e.g. Elliott Smith), instrument technique (e.g. Rodrigo y Gabriela), or structure (e.g. progressive rock/metal and its changing time signatures).

The music that I really hate, though, is music that isn't pleasing to the ears. I know that's a weird definition... but there's dissonance and then there's DISSONANCE, you know? I really dislike experimental music/free jazz/stuff like that, and I really dislike non-melodic metal where all they do is scream.

heart

heart on fire
I like and listen to in equal measure:

Baroque
Classical
80s New Wave
60's, 70's and 80's R&B
Funk and Punk Funk
Electronica
70s, 80s, 90s soft rock
disco/freestyle/dance
older country and western, like this: YouTube - Is there anyone going to San Antone - Charley pride
bluegrass
raggae
Baroque Pop (mid 1960s Brit pop stuff)
New Agey type stuff
(Tangerine Dream, Palamino Duck, Hiroshima, Vangelius)
Gregorian chants
Medieval music (Especially French and English)
Folk Music
Celtic Music
Windham Hill (Especially their seasonal mixes)

Some other stuff like Alan Parsons Project, Art of Noise or this, or this and Quiltman but maybe that counts in the New Agey section?

I like lots of other stuff but the stuff listed above is what my personal playlists contain

BlueinGreen

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I doubt there's much of a trend as to genre. I do, however, think different types likely approach music from a different perspective. My istj best friend, who is an excellent guitarist with plenty of FEELING (yes feeling, istj's are not robots), has broadened his taste somewhat but for the most part picks a few things out he likes about music and listens only to music that fits that profile, be it an adherence to basic precepts of the blues, a particular guitar tone, etc. An esfp female I know likes anything and everything, and an enfp female I know mostly likes quirky indie music and classical.

I can't really explain what it is I like in the music I listen to; I'm attracted to genuine feeling that I can connect to, but I don't think that's always the case. I do like some jazz fusion and avant garde, for instance, that most people just don't really care for, and I think its primary intention is to be a mindf*ck rather than express emotion. There's plenty of heartfelt music I happen to think is shit. I like originality, but that in itself can't make something good. I don't really care for super technical prog metal type stuff, but I can typically find something from just about every genre I like.

tastes_like_purple

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
MGMT
Michael Bublè
Ok Go
Escape The Fate
ABBA
The Coronas
The Cab
The Click Five
Four Year Strong
A Day To Remember
Mayday Parade
From First To Last
Muse
Pendulum
Two Door Cinema Club
Mouldy Peaches
Florence and The Machine
Hollywood Undead
Alphabeat
Mika
Daft punk
Vampire weekend
The Kooks
The Verb
Blur
Queen
Artic Monkeys
Gossip
Plain white T's
Noah and The Whale
Kasabian

Uhhh, yeah thats all I can think of:laugh:

:D

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I like rock (classic, progressive), metal (NWOBHM, symphonic, melodic, progressive) and grunge, and I'm a huge sucker for movie scores, especially those with heavy emphasis on strings. I was a band geek in high school, so I enjoy listening to classical music, specifically J.S. Bach's works for flute, or Holst's military suites (they're so fun to play on piccolo...). Generally, I love technical/virtuosic pieces rather than emotive, romantic ones. I also love dramatic key changes in all genres of music.

A sampling:
Rush
Iron Maiden
Yes
Within Temptation
Nightwish
Soundgarden
Judas Priest
3 Doors Down
Howard Shore
Hans Zimmer
Yoko Kanno

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like music that evokes strong emotions, either sad, introspective, joyous, mystical, etc. I don't listen to much pop, reggae, or hip hop. Those forms can be entertaining, but not usually enlightening, not for me at least. I listen to music that enlightens me in some way. The particular bands don't matter, but all the bands I listen to frequently have this effect on me.

I think that is related to type.

However, all 16 types could like the exact same band, but for different reasons. So, once we start naming specific bands without going into the specific reason we like that band, there will be no distinction between types...