• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just watched this movie. Didn't expect much.

It was AMAZING. I felt emotionally invested beginning to end. I usually don't get into movies like this, but this movie was INCREDIBLY intense and well done. HOLY. SHIT.

Wanna MBTI the characters?

Katniss - ISTP

That's all I got...

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I just watched it tonight too. :D SO GOOD. Wasn't expecting it to be so good. Way better than it's prequel. Can't wait for Mockingjay.

Katniss - ISTP
Peeta - FP
Haymitch - ESTP
Effie - ESFJ
Cinna - ENFJ

All I got :shrug: I haven't read the books (although I intend to), so I don't know enough about Gale, Johanna, or Finnick.

Last edited:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, I just finished it. I had no clue it was getting close to 3 hours long.... That was the longest I have stayed inside watching a movie without needing a restroom break. I was even there for the ending credits (thought we might get something good for staying... but nope!....)

It was... AWESOME!

I can't wait for the next two sequels. God, I don't even mind if it takes them 4 years between those 2 if it ends up this good.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
meh, was it really that good? maybe you just like the actress more :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My daughter's going to see it later today. I'll have to see what she thinks. I might have to go see it. I'm not reading the books until I've seen all the movies (if at all). YA books are usually too gut-wrenching because they have to have meaning or something. :dry:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw the first two movies and read all the books prior to seeing any of them. I am not a fan of the first movie, to the degree I did not rewatch the first movie except as preparation for seeing the second one. (I've also seen most of the other YA movies out there, except for Twilight stuff....) I felt like the director did not know how to film action scenes effectively, nor knew how to accentuate real drama. (I think he was the writer for Big and Dave... which are actually very favorite movies of mine, but the tone is very very different than what was needed in Hunger Games. There are some scenes in Hunger Games that are blatant tearjerkers, and I just felt like they were regularly mishandled... or at least not handled in a way that brought them out. Or things that there is no real context provided for in the movie, so that the movie itself sets up resonances; basically if you've read the book, the scenes will mean more but if you haven't read the books, the scenes lose power.

I remember while reading Catching Fire that I thought parts of it were lame, since the second half of the book seems to be a retread of the first to a large degree in terms of plot.

Well, I saw the movie Catching Fire yesterday... and thought it was pretty amazing. I didn't outright cry, but there were a lot of moments that I watered up. The movie actually stands alone without you needing to read the book first, and the new director actually knew how to set up all those resonances. Much of the movie is OUTSIDE the arena, and it was still very engrossing. it dealt with the PTSD of the survivors. There is a valid triangle among Katniss, Gale, and Peeta (they all manage to be "adults" about things while each is still trying to find their own way in life). Sutherland is just menacing without having to overstate anything. The revolt is actually pretty believable; katniss as the "unwilling face" of the revolt is believable; and I like how all the characters have lives of their own (and decisions of sacrifice to make) without katniss, they don't revolve around her. She really is "just the face" of the rebellion, but it's all the other people in the rebellion that really are making it work and happen.

I think Kravitz as Cinna is one of the few parts of the first movie that I really enjoyed, and while Katniss locks everyone out, his sincere, no-bullshit, but compassionate engagement of her makes him one of the only people she's ever left inside her guard, and easily the fastest. The guy melts me. it makes this second movie even more poignant. It's so easy to screw up a character like that, but he struck all the right tones. That scene where she comes out in her bridal gown and what happens when she shows it off really did hit me hard; it was very clear what a decision like that would cost the designer.

And Effie Trinket as well. She's a character that very easily becomes cliche (in her constant Fe twittering), and she can also be as annoying and shallow as shit. But she has more texture than that, and you can see it especially in this second movie. She doesn't have the vocabulary to speak deeply and directly, but I think Elizabeth Banks really captures her well -- it's very clear, despite her preoccupation with the superficial, how much she loves Peeta and Katniss in her own odd, affected way and what role she plays in their success.

There's also a lot of great work by the less-showcased supporting actor staff... even Amanda Plummer shows up briefly.

I was really happy with this adaptation. it seems to strike all the right notes and actually evoked the emotions it was reaching for. I'm glad the director signed on for the last two movies.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
they should wake me up when all of the movies are out.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jennifer Lawrence is absolutely amazing. And stunning. But her acting....awwww goodness. I hear she is currently considered the most sought out actor in Hollywood, and after watching this film, I fully understand why.
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], how good is Lenny Kravitz in this film? 'He hit all the right tones' is EXACTLY how I would describe him. And that dress scene was EXTREMELY intense.

After watching the first movie, I didn't really know much about Hunger Games, but I thought that they were sort of action/adventure books (and, eventually, films) for young adult women with very shallow depths and only a bit of character development. This movie completely changed that view.

I absolutely love how it's main character is a powerful woman. It really sends a good message to young girls everywhere. To me, however, one of the most powerful moments, though just a small detail in the grand scheme of things, is when that little girl tells Katniss "someday, I want to volunteer, just like you." This movie is full of moments like these. A lot of deeper messages like "how the state brainwashes you and keeps you down," power structures, and relationships are all covered.

Ahhhh I can talk about this movie for days. When people tell me a movie is "intense," I go and watch it, and usually don't think it's so intense. This movie, ladies and gents, is INCREDIBLY intense.

elemenop

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
4w5

This video provided me with my entire knowledge about The Hunger Games.

It seems to be getting good reviews though, so I might have to see it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jennifer Lawrence is absolutely amazing. And stunning. But her acting....awwww goodness. I hear she is currently considered the most sought out actor in Hollywood, and after watching this film, I fully understand why.

I think the thing about Lawrence as an actor is that she makes it all look so effortless. She just becomes her character, and she's very transparent -- she puts herself out there without fear, as an actor. And she is extremely likable/engaging regardless of who her character is. I remember one of the complaints about "Almost Crazy" is that that the male protagonist dumps her to go back to his first girlfriend, and people didn't find that credible, lol. And she is what 22? The first thing I saw her in was Winter's Bone and she just blew me away.

Katniss is a difficult character, actually, in the book. I think Lawrence's version is more likable than the book's version. That might actually be my only complaint about her portrayal-- I like her as Katniss too much. :D In the book, I found Katniss frustrating much of the time... which I appreciated, since it takes courage for an author to create a somewhat unlikeable protagonist.

, how good is Lenny Kravitz in this film? 'He hit all the right tones' is EXACTLY how I would describe him. And that dress scene was EXTREMELY intense.

After I posted here, I went to do some online wiki reading about the book and movie to refresh my memory, and reading about the dress scene again really choked me up. It was very powerful in both mediums.

I really didn't know much about Kravitz before this, actually, except he was in music. I guess he's done an occasional movie role from time to time. There was just such a warmth, honesty, and sincerity to his portrayal; I feel in love with him, and I understood why Katniss immediately warmed up to him while keeping everyone else at arm's length. There was no superficiality or boastfulness or "false marketing" to Cinna. He was exactly what he appeared to be, and Katniss herself is that kind of person as well, and she HATES all the superficiality she was forced to indulge in to promote herself and win sponsors. She knows Cinna knows who she is and is more interested in honoring her than in promoting his own career; every one of his designs that he had control over is meant to promote her as she is.

He seems to be the kind of guy that can just look at someone and see exactly who they are.

After watching the first movie, I didn't really know much about Hunger Games, but I thought that they were sort of action/adventure books (and, eventually, films) for young adult women with very shallow depths and only a bit of character development. This movie completely changed that view.

I absolutely love how it's main character is a powerful woman. It really sends a good message to young girls everywhere. To me, however, one of the most powerful moments, though just a small detail in the grand scheme of things, is when that little girl tells Katniss "someday, I want to volunteer, just like you." This movie is full of moments like these. A lot of deeper messages like "how the state brainwashes you and keeps you down," power structures, and relationships are all covered.

Ahhhh I can talk about this movie for days. When people tell me a movie is "intense," I go and watch it, and usually don't think it's so intense. This movie, ladies and gents, is INCREDIBLY intense.

I really agree. I was shocked at how good it was, as a "series" picture. It was very textured, and I didn't really have the typical moments of incredulity that pepper most movies. (I found Ender's Game far less textured, in comparison.) It's easily one of the best 4-5 movies I've seen all year.

It's interesting when you mention the girl telling Katniss how she wants to volunteer. And how Snow's granddaughter was mimicking Katniss like all the other girls in school (like with her single pigtail, etc.) Katniss just isn't the face of the rebellion and example of how to stand up against the Capitol (and again, I would note that in that sense it's COMPLICATED because she never wanted to be this figurehead for the movement but just protect her SISTER and otherwise is very solitary and private, she doesn't really like it; so in essence she is being used by the rebellion just like the Capitol is using people for its own purposes), she is also being emulated by girls younger than her as an example of womanhood for their own lives. Snow even recognized it and hates it; it's one reason why he wants Katniss dead so badly, he recognizes the threat.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And Effie Trinket as well. She's a character that very easily becomes cliche (in her constant Fe twittering), and she can also be as annoying and shallow as shit. But she has more texture than that, and you can see it especially in this second movie. She doesn't have the vocabulary to speak deeply and directly, but I think Elizabeth Banks really captures her well -- it's very clear, despite her preoccupation with the superficial, how much she loves Peeta and Katniss in her own odd, affected way and what role she plays in their success.

This. When she said her final farewell to Peeta and Katniss was the only part of the movie I actually cried at. I think Catching Fire did a really good job in building on her character and I really hope she comes back and does something awesome in the next movie.

And yeah, Cinna is awesome. I hope he turns out okay. I really want him too since he's such an awesome character. His wedding dress design completely caught me off guard. I love his character so much. I think I'm going to add him as ENFJ to my initial list.

I also really liked Johanna and Finnick. I thought Finnick was going to turn out to be bad but I ended up really liking him. I hope I get to see more of them in the next movie too because they both seem like characters I'd really enjoy watching. :happy2:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This. When she said her final farewell to Peeta and Katniss was the only part of the movie I actually cried at. I think Catching Fire did a really good job in building on her character and I really hope she comes back and does something awesome in the next movie.

And yeah, Cinna is awesome. I hope he turns out okay. I really want him too since he's such an awesome character. His wedding dress design completely caught me off guard. I love his character so much. I think I'm going to add him as ENFJ to my initial list.

I also really liked Johanna and Finnick. I thought Finnick was going to turn out to be bad but I ended up really liking him. I hope I get to see more of them in the next movie too because they both seem like characters I'd really enjoy watching. :happy2:

I'll try to keep my mouth shut so I don't accidentally spoiler something for you. :smile: The movies so far have been pretty close to the books, especially the second movie. So I know the fates of all the characters, as long as they go according to script. (You just never know, with the third book broken into two movies...)

Just watched this movie. Didn't expect much.

It was AMAZING. I felt emotionally invested beginning to end. I usually don't get into movies like this, but this movie was INCREDIBLY intense and well done. HOLY. SHIT.

Wanna MBTI the characters?

Katniss - ISTP

That's all I got...

I tend to see her more as INFJ, honestly. It's funny you say ISTP, because they're all the same functions; I have had other characters where I'm not sure whether they are INFJ and ISTP either.

The thing is, with ISTPs, they aren't typically idealists, and they're not typically so hung up on relationships. If you look at Katniss, she's very very private, she also feels very passionate towards the few people she really loves (Gale, and warming up to Peeta, and especially Prim), and at those moments you're capable of seeing an occasional burst of emotion (like she volunteers to take Prim's place). It's not that she doesn't feel anything, it's just that she'll be damned if she will let anyone else KNOW that she feels something... aside from a key relationship like her sister. Her "duties" in those relationships are very sharply defined. She takes an immediate like or dislike to other people based on her immediate grasp of them. Note that she lectures her mother (and had stepped in to mother her sister) when she is selected, she chides her. That's not really an impersonal, flat, "go with the flow" ISTP response.

ISTP tends toward impersonality and flex, INFJ toward the personal and locking things in, and I see Katniss as being more of the latter. But on the surface, they both seem very in control of themselves. That's just my take on it, and like I said, ISTP/INFJ are similar types in the sense they share functions (Ni Se Ti Fe). Katniss also grew up in a place where she had to be Sensory. I think one of the keywords for her personality is "private." Another would be "fierce."

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw it last night. I thought it was really kind of boring. I kept yawning. It was ok when they were in the game but generally, I thought the first one was much better. I think I would rather have seen the new Thor movie.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get what people see in these movies. They give off the feel of a book you're forced to read in school for a book report (but the book is so goddamn dull you watch the movie instead). I saw the first one and I thought it was a glorified Running Man drawn out to unnecessary proportions. Catching Fire was pretty much the exact same thing as the first, but without the shaky cam, so I guess you can say the sequel was a more competently made movie. Still, it didn't get interesting till the final five minutes...which turned out to be a cliffhanger.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Saw it last night. I thought it was really kind of boring. I kept yawning. It was ok when they were in the game but generally, I thought the first one was much better. I think I would rather have seen the new Thor movie.

The first half of the catching fire delved deeper into the political underlying of what conspired in the first. I honestly found that part more interesting than the second part. What Katniss and Peeta did in the 74th Hunger games set off a chain of events that President Snow saw was threatening to the Capitol itself, and for good reason. Their actions have caused talks of rebellion within the districts as big as the first time they've tried a rebellion.

I'm quite sure that part of the story(I think) will become the backdrop of the 3rd and 4th movies.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The first half of the catching fire delved deeper into the political underlying of what conspired in the first. I honestly found that part more interesting than the second part. What Katniss and Peeta did in the 74th Hunger games set off a chain of events that President Snow saw was threatening to the Capitol itself, and for good reason. Their actions have caused talks of rebellion within the districts as big as the first time they've tried a rebellion.

I'm quite sure that part of the story(I think) will become the backdrop of the 3rd and 4th movies.

That sounds right. It's just setting up the future stuff.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I might have to give this a view... I thought that it was the best of the three books, and although I saw and liked the first movie, it didn't put the second film into a "must see" category (the book was better). Thanks for the reviews :).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not much of a spoiler to say, yeah, that's what we're looking at in Mockingjay. Things are getting real.

Despite its low status, District 12 has always screwed up things for the Capitol. There's some interesting things about Haymitch that I think were revealed in book 2, but it looks like the movie has left them for clarification in the last two installments. He's deeper than he seems.

The richest districts (lower in number sequence) have always played nicely with the capitol and done what they wanted. The Careers usually come from 1, 2, and 3, I think; they trained for the Hunger Games and it's a status symbol for them. Well, looks like the hunger games is no longer confined to an arena. I don't think it was meant as direct symbolism, but what Katniss accomplishes in this one literally does open the floodgates.

I might have to give this a view... I thought that it was the best of the three books, and although I saw and liked the first movie, it didn't put the second film into a "must see" category (the book was better).

I agree with you. I didn't bother with opening night, and I only felt compelled to see it because the reviews were SO positive; I was still kind of wary until I sat through the whole movie.

I would still like to punt Caesar's little mugging sidekick off the side of a bridge, though. he annoys me. :newwink:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm a major fan of the books and films. I've already blathered on about my views to everyone around me so i'll keep this short.

I just want to say how much I adore Jena Malone for her portrayal of Johanna Mason. :wubbie: I've always been a bit of a fan of hers, and Johanna is my favourite character in the series - even then I didn't dare hope for such a fun, feisty and layered characterisation. I'm not even mad that they toned down her bitchiness; all the essential flavours were spot on. I love how much disruption she brings to the dynamics, and yet she creates a interesting sort of balance. Elizabeth Banks was pretty incredible too. I was genuinely touched by her performance. Stanley Tucci also does so much, with so little.

And how (continually) amazing is Jennifer Lawrence? How does she manage to convey so much with just her eyes? :shock: