• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Holy shit, I wanna see this movie so bad. Catching Fire was easily my favorite book in the trilogy. The film doesn't come to theaters here until December 6 though. :(

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Holy shit, I wanna see this movie so bad. Catching Fire was easily my favorite book in the trilogy. The film doesn't come to theaters here until December 6 though. :(
You must be one of the unfortunate few. Where are you?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

They probably had to sensor out all the good parts first :D

You must be one of the unfortunate few. Where are you?

Countries showing on the 6th of December seems to be from India.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like the matrix all over again.

Didn't you see the cat flicker?

Hang in there! Only two more weeks!

Just try to avoid the spoilers. I know that won't be easy. (Then again, if you've read the books, there's not really anything to spoil; no one is going to complain, "OMG, this movie wasn't like the book!") There were a few very superficial changes but nothing that I recall that actually ran against the book.

Qre:us

I thought it was the mockingbird flickering, when they entered the tunnel the first time.

Do you mean the graffiti of the mockingjay, on the tunnel wall? As they passed through on their way to start the tours? If so, I think it was meant to show that the revolution is starting. *Someone* knew that they would be passing through that tunnel, and wanted Katniss et al. to see it, and recognize that they have support.

I saw it this Saturday. My ISxJ's friend's commentary: The first one wrapped up nicely, this just seems to drop off. What was the point?

Me: The last one, she [Katniss] was pissed. This one, she's hella pissed. That's progress.

I really enjoyed it, moreso than the first one. I haven't read the books, but figured early on the "surprising" players who were playing for the other side/Katniss' side. It was long, though. As an Indian, it took on Bollywood proportions. :doh:

I got a bit aggravated when it seemed like they were going BACK in the game, and that it would be a de ja vu, in terms of the plotline, of the first game. As in, the beginning is slow, and then we just basically get a repeat of the first one?

But, the new characters, the shift in the underlying goal (bigger than the sum of the players), which was new in this one, finally convinced me. Loved the shot of Katniss with the arrow, pointing towards the sky, but in Snow's TV, it's as if she's taking aim at him.

What I really like about this series is the portrayal of the female protagonist. She is flawed and strong. Her and Peeta's relationship is another refreshing novelty. He is the one with the social skills and emotional intelligence. He is the vulnerable one (physically). And, she is the protector. Don't really see that often, and it's a refreshing change in dynamic, from other shyte like Twilight, where the stereotypical female role is the damsel in distress, waiting for a guy (couple of them) to save her/protect her. Here, Peeta is the one needing rescuing. And the way he plays the role, it doesn't make him any less masculine or lacking. I find his vulnerability highly desirable. As he has his strengths, one being his hyper self-awareness, "I don't want them to change me." (He knows to the core, who he is, and who he is not)

Overall, I liked it and am hooked for the third installment.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got a bit aggravated when it seemed like they were going BACK in the game, and that it would be a de ja vu, in terms of the plotline, of the first game. As in, the beginning is slow, and then we just basically get a repeat of the first one?

That was actually how I felt when reading the books, before the movies ever came out... like, "Oh, come on." it was too deja vu. But by the end it did differentiate and gave the promise of something bigger than the arena games, so that was a positive move.

But, the new characters, the shift in the underlying goal (bigger than the sum of the players), which was new in this one, finally convinced me. Loved the shot of Katniss with the arrow, pointing towards the sky, but in Snow's TV, it's as if she's taking aim at him.

Yeah, there was a lot to say about the camera work and directing and pacing and editing in this movie.

That whole scene at District 11, where they stray from Effie's cards on the sentiment of the moment, is pretty strong too.

What I really like about this series is the portrayal of the female protagonist. She is flawed and strong. Her and Peeta's relationship is another refreshing novelty. He is the one with the social skills and emotional intelligence. He is the vulnerable one (physically). And, she is the protector. Don't really see that often, and it's a refreshing change in dynamic, from other shyte like Twilight, where the stereotypical female role is the damsel in distress, waiting for a guy (couple of them) to save her/protect her. Here, Peeta is the one needing rescuing. And the way he plays the role, it doesn't make him any less masculine or lacking. I find his vulnerability highly desirable. As he has his strengths, one being his hyper self-awareness, "I don't want them to change me." (He knows to the core, who he is, and who he is not)

There is all that, and there is also then Gale, the third player in the triangle... who, if you think about it, is kind of like Katniss' male twin. They both have the same traitset. So in a sense Katniss is torn over someone who is very much like her vs someone who complements her.

I just watched it tonight too. :D SO GOOD. Wasn't expecting it to be so good. Way better than it's prequel. Can't wait for Mockingjay.

Katniss - ISTP
Peeta - FP
Haymitch - ESTP
Effie - ESFJ
Cinna - ENFJ

Peeta is not an FP. He is an FJ. Fe over Fi. He knows how to work the crowd. He knows and is very skillful at playing to social expectations. The manipulations/moves he makes, are very much so FeTi. I'd wager eXFJ. He is also not very Perceiving. He knows exactly what he wants, and knew for a while. He's decisive.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Peeta is not an FP. He is an FJ. Fe over Fi. He knows how to work the crowd. He knows and is very skillful at playing to social expectations. The manipulations/moves he makes, are very much so FeTi. I'd wager eXFJ.

So you think Cinna and Peeta are the same? (or do you think Cinna is not an ENFJ?)

So you think Cinna and Peeta are the same? (or do you think Cinna is not an ENFJ?)

I think Peeta's vulnerability makes him seem FP (because stereotypically, that's what people equate with FPs). Cinna I would think is INFJ. They are the only two people who weren't initially part of Katniss' family (sis, mom and Gale), but very quickly "saw" into her (soul).

Edit: FPs, Rue (IxFP), her sister.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Peeta's vulnerability makes him seen FP (because stereotypically, that's what people equate with FPs). Cinna I would think is INFJ. They are the only two people who weren't initially part of Katniss' family (sis, mom and Gale), but very quickly "saw" into her (soul).

Another can of worms there: Cinna is remarkable warm and transparent for INFJ. That read kind of surprises me; usually with strangers INFJ is very very protective of the inner core, I think the Fe is actually a defensive buffer... it's a "safe way to connect" versus immediate transparency and actual warmth. I usually recognize INFJs, in fact, because they are quiet yet friendly... yet they also prevent me from seeing into them; there's a core in there they keep safe and protected until they know me, and even then sometimes have trouble putting it into words. There's usually a little more convention and formality in the interaction.

Another can of worms there: Cinna is remarkable warm and transparent for INFJ. That read kind of surprises me; usually with strangers INFJ is very very protective of the inner core, I think the Fe is actually a defensive buffer... it's a "safe way to connect" versus immediate transparency and actual warmth. I usually recognize INFJs, in fact, because they are quiet yet friendly... yet they also prevent me from seeing into them; there's a core in there they keep safe and protected until they know me, and even then sometimes have trouble putting it into words. There's usually a little more convention and formality in the interaction.

Hmm, I can agree with this, thus making a case for ENFJ. I can even be convinced that Peeta is FP (likely people with say ENFP). :D

Yeah, there was a lot to say about the camera work and directing and pacing and editing in this movie.

That whole scene at District 11, where they stray from Effie's cards on the sentiment of the moment, is pretty strong too.

YES! Rue touched us all! I loved how their 10mins of skills demonstration at the beginning of the game, Peeta payed tribute to her (while at the same time giving a big ol' F.U.). And seeing Katniss come upon it (Jennifer Lawrence is amazing with her expressions), and her subsequent "skills" demonstration - HI.LA.RIOUS!
*bows*

There is all that, and there is also then Gale, the third player in the triangle... who, if you think about it, is kind of like Katniss' male twin. They both have the same traitset. So in a sense Katniss is torn over someone who is very much like her vs someone who complements her.

That's very perceptive. What she has always known, versus, venturing into the unknown. I like Gale (and he's hella good-looking, but there's no evolution between their relationship (between he and Katniss) which is why I'm not as invested as with Katinss/Peeta).

I agree with Peeta being an Fe dom. He knows how to play audiences like none other. The books made a big deal of how naturally it came to him, while Katniss' performances were usually very stilted in contrast.

ISTP for Katniss, yeah.

INFJ for Cinna. Tons of idiosyncratic vision there. I liked Lenny Kravitz's performance in the first movie too. I think he was picked after his role in Precious?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree with Peeta being an Fe dom. He knows how to play audiences like none other. The books made a big deal of how naturally it came to him, while Katniss' performances were usually very stilted in contrast.

ISTP for Katniss, yeah.

INFJ for Cinna. Tons of idiosyncratic vision there. I liked Lenny Kravitz's performance in the first movie too. I think he was picked after his role in Precious?
I agree with these typings :yes:

Yes, that's right about Lenny Kravitz. No doubt he was chosen for naturally exuding INFJ-ness, because he totally is one - similarly, Josh Hutcherson is a ESFJ IRL.

BTW, there's already a thread for typing the characters, although it's old and easily missed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah this thread is in a&e, it's not the typing thread.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I wasn't planning to see it since I did not like the first movie at all, but went with my INFP out of spite -- It was a crappy day, so let's see a movie I was going to hate! :D

But... I didn't hate it. I thought there were some really good parts, and the speech about Rue's death was actually quite moving. I still found the 'games' kinda messy and pointless though -- it just seems way too random to make sense. I wanted something more Cube-ish, where it's suggested that if the characters worked together they would be able to figure out the puzzle and get out alive.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13147]senza tema[/MENTION], you are absolutely right with your typing. I agree completely.

I can't get over how good Kravitz was as Cinna. The acting is, surprisingly, amazing in this movie. Even Sutherland, who seems to not act much at all, just seems "natural" at playing Snow. Very creepy without having to do much.

This was a series that I thought wasn't going to be very good. If every movie is as good as Catching Fire, this series may be as memorable as Harry Potter.