• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Art Thread (traditional visual media)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some speculation as pertains to his mental state has been brought forward. Perhaps his troubles with mental illness caused him to have a hallucinatory view of reality.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
rue mouffetard by maximilien luce

rue_mouffetard.jpg

conway valley new hampshire by albert bierstadt

b-conway_vallley_new_hampshire.jpg

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For several years when I was young, I studied ballet, and my grandmother gave me 4 Degas prints, which I adored. The below are two of my favorites. With the first one, I was simply fascinated with all of the action going on in the painting -- even the stationary figures (ex: the 2 men slumping in their chairs on the far right) exhibited 'action'. And so many little things going on in the painting - lots of sub-stories. Each of the characters is doing something, or anticipating something. With the second painting, I just liked the colors, and again, Degas captured the fluidity of the dancer - she almost seems to be moving in the painting.

The Rehearsal on the Stage
m122rehearsalonstageposqz4.jpg

The Green Dancer
degasaag022ci8.jpg

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Degas had a very interesting life story.

Love the Rue scene, Whatever! I love city streets!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I like paintings of ships at sea, battling storms, waves and all that stuff. My mom got me this large print for Christmas a few years ago.

'Glory of the Seas' by Montague Dawson. Pretty amazing.

GloryoftheSea.jpg

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OOOOOOOO!!!!!! o_O I love tall-ship pictures!!!

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'm a big fan of the Wyeths... I saw Andrew Wyeth's work at the High museum in Atlanta a few years back and I was completely sent into another world with his amount of detail.

I wasn't much interested in Italian Renaissance art, but I just spent 10 weeks in Italy and saw much of the most famous of it. I have to say that Michelangelo's rendition of "David" was awe-inspiring. I spent 2 hours drawing it. Completely took my breath away.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I like Max Beckmann.
One of his:

Prunier
T02395_9.jpg

Some cool stuff came out of Die Brücke, too, e.g. Ernst Kirchner

Ernst%20Ludwig%20Kirchner.jpg

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love collecting all sorts of beautiful art images on my 'puter...

In order:
Jean Leon Gerome - Whoever You Are, Here Is Your Master (Love, the Conqueror)
Knut Ekvall - The Fisherman and the Siren
David Roberts - A View in Cairo
Franz von Stuck - Cupid at the Masquerade Ball

I have lots of others, but I can't spam the thread with images. :wubbie:

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I also like some of Franz Marc's stuff:

large blue horses
46.jpg

foxes
foxes.jpg

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I get to teach Art Docent at the elementary school once a month for 5 months every year. We just did Monet, we had a little French picnic (bread, cheese and grapes) while talking about him.

We mostly do impressionists (not sure why) but Ive really been enjoying it (for the last 6 years I've been doing it)

I love doing van gogh, I have the kindergarteners write a poem about starry night. They each give a line, it's so cute. Van Gogh is so fascinating.

I love all the knowledge I've picked up about the painters we teach. I've considered starting a little "learn about artists" thing for kids so I can learn about more artists.

Cafe Terrace: (from wiki) Van Gogh writing to Theo, his brother
"Normally, one draws and paints the painting during the daytime after the sketch. But I like to paint the thing immediately. It is true that in the darkness I can take a blue for a green, a blue lilac for a pink lilac, since it is hard to distinguish the quality of the tone. But it is the only way to get away from our conventional night with poor pale whitish light, while even a simple candle already provides us with the richest of yellows and oranges."