• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Noah"

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some in the religious community take this movie as a declaration from Satan that he's coming to f-up Christians the way God did to the Nephilim during that the days of Noah. At the bottom of the movie poster, it says something like "the end is near." And, they were filming in the New York area, and filming had to be delayed because of Hurricane Sandy. Get it? The making of the movie Noah was delayed because of a flood. The third thign was that at some point in time during filming Russell Crowe either fell out of a raft and nearly drowned or he got lost at sea or soemthing. I'm fuzzy on the details about that. But it's interesting (at least I thought so).

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The most satanic thing about this movie is that both Russell Crowe and Hermione sang in it...and Hermione's singing was even worse...and only Satan can make that possible.

And what was with that song during the credits? Sounded like a drunque fiftysomething transsexual singing karaoke.

The fx were very good, though (loved the rockbiter animations, the creation story sequence was really cool, and water sims have reached a new level of realism), and they saved an otherwise pretty boring movie. Russell Crowe can make anything boring.

Mole

Permabanned
Noah, the movie, is realist art. It creates the illusion of reality.

But we know from a number of sciences that Noah's Ark never existed.

So the movie failed to suspend my disbelief. And so failed as a work of art.

A

A window to the soul

Some in the religious community take this movie as a declaration from Satan that he's coming to f-up Christians the way God did to the Nephilim during that the days of Noah. At the bottom of the movie poster, it says something like "the end is near." And, they were filming in the New York area, and filming had to be delayed because of Hurricane Sandy. Get it? The making of the movie Noah was delayed because of a flood. The third thign was that at some point in time during filming Russell Crowe either fell out of a raft and nearly drowned or he got lost at sea or soemthing. I'm fuzzy on the details about that. But it's interesting (at least I thought so).

o_O

The writer did his homework.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
o_O

The writer did his homework.

I guess I didn't care what happened to Russell Crowe. I hate Les Mis. Horrible. I don't how much to hold him responsible for it, but I was traumatized within the first 10 minutes of the movie and I didn't want to be traumatized. I rented it because Anne Hathaway starved herself for it and wanted to watch someone starving to death and that's what I thoought the movie was about. Maybe that is traumatic. Anyways...

I know that this Noah movie sucked, and I agree with OP that Crowe should've been on the boat in the movie poster. I thoguht the same thing when I saw it. Maybe the movie's better if he isn't on the boat. That's a nice little twist no one saw coming. Noah drowns.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Neither did Hobbits.

WTF?

The stories in Genesis are...implausible to say the least, but it doesn't mean we can't take anything meaningful out of it.

What are you talking about? I AM a nephilim. Sorry, but God didn't get all of us.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry that people were disappointed. I enjoyed it, although it's not my favorite Aranofsky movie. I also could see why he made particular changes to the story, in order to bring out certain parts of Noah's character and personality.

Prophets are always severe, usually in personality and in their perceptions, and for a man to persevere in such a large undertaking while watching humanity die also would suggest he was persistent and unyielding; he had to be. Aranofsky tried to take that to its logical conclusion, resulting in a potentially horrific resolution; it made sense to me and treated the character realistically.

But the nephilim story was changed to suggest a God of judgment and one of mercy as well -- these rebellious angels were damned for coming to earth, but they also were finally released from that captivity. Their plight reflected an aspect of God that Noah in term had to emulate (though he didn't realize it), and so he struggled with the mercy aspect.

Yeah, I almost started to laugh when Crowe began singing ("NO, please, just... NO!") but at least it was an appropriate venue for him... he wasn't supposed to be able to actually sing, and all of humanity was about to die soon anyway, so... :D And the song tied in later, it was important to the plot. I gotta say, he brought a lot of weight to the role; he grounded Noah, ironically enough, and provided him substance equal to any stone giant.

It started raining when I walked into the movie theater, but hey, I'm still alive.

Jason Statham almost drowned filming Expendables 3, but that don't make him a prophet.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there a name for that stylized screaming eagle cry (like of like the Wilhelm scream of the animal world) that shows up whenever birds fly by?
It might indeed just be a modified Wilhelm scream, like they did in Transformers.

There's pretty much a Wilhelm sound effect for everything. Police background radio chatter (on The Following they kept doing the same one over and over thinking I wouldn't notice, also exact same one on the Sublime song, April 26, 1992), Baby crying, a VERY common Wilhelm meow, and on and on.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Last Temptation of Christ is considered a decent movie to the secular/moderate crowd

If you weren't going to mention this, I was (btw, I thought this movie was way more than decent, anyway).

I'm hoping this movie will be more of THAT kind of interpretation, realistic and non literal. But how in the God of the Old Testament's name can a movie where you have to put every single pair of land mammals on a fucking boat be realistic???

It can't. So, all things considered, I'm saying this movie is just another CGI special effects, apocalyptic jerk off session, who's main goal is to put asses in the seats on opening weekend. Not controversial enough to keep Christians away, not Biblical enough to keep secularists away. Let's make some mother fucking SHIT-LOADs of money.

All this, on top of the fact it's rated PG-13. It's literally a movie tame enough for teenage viewing.

And who is Darren Aronofsky to say "no" when a studio drives a dumptruck full of money up to his doorstep? Good on him.

All this, and I haven't even seen it, and will probably wait for a DVD rip as the dialogue is sure to be shit (even though I'm sure this caliber of actors will make the best of it) the character development about as deep as a kiddie pool, and the forced emotional connection to these characters as pleasant as a hangnail.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It started raining when I walked into the movie theater, but hey, I'm still alive.

Such a compelling story. When I read the part about the rain, I was so scared about what would happen next. I really thought you might've died...You know, if you embellished this story, like change the ending, and the middle, it could be really good. Seriously (not kidding at all), I would like it if you were watching the movie Noah, it flooded and you had to leave the theater on a raft, then you die, and then you get on the internet to tell everyone you lived.

But yeah, I get your idea about sloppy unrelated connections.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nephilim are not rebellious angels anyway. They are a cross between humans and gods, thus creating a race of heroes known as "nephilim."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Such a compelling story. When I read the part about the rain, I was so scared about what would happen next. I really thought you might've died...You know, if you embellished this story, like change the ending, and the middle, it could be really good. Seriously (not kidding at all), I would like it if you were watching the movie Noah, it flooded and you had to leave the theater on a raft, then you die, and then you get on the internet to tell everyone you lived.

That would have made for an interesting Saturday.

Well, I did lose my cell phone connection, and they let people into the theater while the credits were rolling so I thought I'd barely escape with my life.

But I am here to tell the tale.
So God must have placed a rainbow in my sky.

Nephilim are not rebellious angels anyway. They are a cross between humans and gods, thus creating a race of heroes known as "nephilim."

Yes, I know that. Some people have called the angels nephilim, some have thought it referred to their offspring -- but they're typically also referred to as giants. And the Book of Enoch refers to the angels as The Watchers who brought forbidden knowledge to men. So Aranofsky was mixing a few different sources and creating the story he wanted to tell.

Anything else you'd care to sound smarter than everyone else about, while contributing virtually nothing to the discussion of the movie?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That would have made for an interesting Saturday.

Well, I did lose my cell phone connection, and they let people into the theater while the credits were rolling so I thought I'd barely escape with my life.

But I am here to tell the tale.
So God must have placed a rainbow in my sky.

Yes, I know that. Some people have called the angels nephilim, some have thought it referred to their offspring. And the Book of Enoch refers to the angels as The Watchers. So Aranofsky was mixing a few different sources and creating the story he wanted to tell.

Anything else you'd care to sound smarter than everyone else about, while contributing virtually nothing to the discussion of the movie?

GAH! It says right in Genesis what the nephilim are.

Mole

Permabanned
Neither did Hobbits.

WTF?

The stories in Genesis are...implausible to say the least, but it doesn't mean we can't take anything meaningful out of it.

Two days ago I was approached in Garema Place, Canberra, Australia, and I was told they had discovered the remains of the Noah's Ark in Turkey.

So some of my neighbours believe that the story of Noah's Ark is literary true.

At the same time I attended a movie called Noah in realist art that neglected to mention that Noah's Ark is apocryphal and not literally true.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too ironic.

So some of my neighbours believe that the story of Noah's Ark is literary true.

Ummm.... it IS literary true. ;) I read about it in a book. Where did you hear about it?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Saw it tonight - I was looking to be emotionally engaged. Flat. Very flat.

Beautiful visuals, nice ark, interesting take on the nephilim/watchers, cool creation sequence. Russell Crowe ok, other supporting actors had little dimensionality and not much to do really. Animals slept so not much interesting about them either. A little early to tell, but this seems poised to be my least favorite Darren Aronofsky film.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, the only thing that really interested me overall was the examinination of Noah's prophetic role and how that affected his sense of mercy vs judgment. It was well done, but not something I need to rewatch.

I find most of Aronofsky's other work more compelling (The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, etc.) I should really rewatch Pi soon, it's been years and I forget much of it.