• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Top 5 Indie Labels of All Time

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Name them - no majors! ;)

For me:

• 4AD
  • Creation
  • Mute
  • Warp
  • Rough Trade

cheers,
Ian

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Fat Wreck Chords
Vagrant Records
AF Records
Sub Pop
Barsuk Records

Mute would also be one of my favorites, but i didn't wanna list ones that you already had. :)

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From grabbing and looking at a stack of nearby CDs...

I'm pretty sure they are both either major lables or affiliated with them, but most of my music is from Napalm or Nuclear Blast.

I'm not certain if the following are major labels or not, but since you listed the one of these that I have the most CDs from, they probably all are.

Curzweyhl / Rough Trade (some CDs have both names on them)
That label accounts for the majority of my overseas non major label imports.

Projekt
Kalinkaland
Noir Records / Dancing Ferret Discs
Trisol

MBTI Type
INTJ
Island
Sub Pop
Fat Possum
Philadelphia International
Stax/Volt (I'll concede that their independent status is tenuous)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sorry to post in this thread again without contributing anything but snark, but I'm more interested in the idea of this thread subject than in actually responding to the question.
To me it is like asking for "your top 5 people in terms of their musical taste." in that it's a uniquely uninformative way of showing how discriminating you are.

But unlike the thread question, I can actually answer that one without doing research, so...

Stuart
Mike
Ben
Sarah
Kurt

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Sorry to post in this thread again without contributing anything but snark, but I'm more interested in the idea of this thread subject than in actually responding to the question.
To me it is like asking for "your top 5 people in terms of their musical taste." in that it's a uniquely uninformative way of showing how discriminating you are.

But unlike the thread question, I can actually answer that one without doing research, so...

Stuart
Mike
Ben
Sarah
Kurt

Hmmm...Top 5 in terms of musical taste?

Dave
Lazar Wolf
Peaches
Yentl
Boomshiqua

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ninja Tunes
Mo'Wax
SubPop
Asthmatic Kitty
Matador

And to answer booya's question:

Haig
Becky
Charlie
Andrew
Mary

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Not at all. I would have done so if I had thought to.

Edit: I guess that's not really proof of it not being megalomaniacal.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well, from my point of view, if I see others with labels I'm familiar with mixed in with ones I've not heard of, the next time I'm in a new music buying mood, I can return to this thread, and explore the catalog of the lables those other people listed.

(something I used to do to find new music in the early napster/winmx days was to search for an obscure band I liked (which generaly would be a band on an indie label) and then explore all the other bands listed by people that showed up in that search and I found some good stuff that way that I'd probably have never heard about otherwise).

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

Then by all means, please start a thread to discuss it.

Thanks for that feedback. Based on it, I can say I think I was misunderstood.

cheers,
Ian

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Your Top 5 Indie Labels of All Time

I don't pay attention to labels, just artists.

The only label I'm familiar with is a local one, Sub Pop. They are in the midst of celebrating an anniversary, so I'll go with them.

Sub Pop