• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Shining: Secret Of The Twins REVEALED [VIDEO]

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes it's true, once upon a time Hollywood did produce good movies. And The Shining is a :shining: example of one of them.

E

Epiphany

Interestingly, Stephen King hated Stanley Kubrick's cinematic rendition of his novel. I think Shelley Duvall's character was miscast. Her performance made the movie hard to watch at times. The poor woman has lost her mind and now believes that aliens are inhabiting her body. Maybe she's right.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interestingly, Stephen King hated Stanley Kubrick's cinematic rendition of his novel. I think Shelley Duvall's character was miscast. Her performance made the movie hard to watch at times. The poor woman has lost her mind and now believes that aliens are inhabiting her body. Maybe she's right.

Novels make for terrible movies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Novels make for terrible movies.

Not always.

In fact, a few of King's stories translated very well to screen with little modification. It depends on the story.

I think Kubrick's version is decent... but it's not really the same story as the book. it's like looking at a twisted reflection or a pond image after you beset it with ripples.

I saw most of it not all of the TV version made years later, the one that King liked better; I think that movie had more heart to it and I could see why King preferred it, but I wouldn't necessarily call it better, it was a little too "TV-movie-ish" soft.

Putting King's books on TV is a tough sell to being with -- the subject matter + the copious number of pages means a lot (and a LOT) of editing, that typically kills the patient on the table.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes it's true, once upon a time Hollywood did produce good movies. And The Shining is a :shining: example of one of them.

I hated that movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone played this version while we were gaming on Sunday.

or maybe this version is preferable:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think hating on something because it's not "true to the book" is kind of stupid. If it's exactly the same, why does the movie even exist? I like it when things are changed from the book, on many occasions. People still have the book, and can always read the book if they feel a need to know what "really" happened.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think hating on something because it's not "true to the book" is kind of stupid. If it's exactly the same, why does the movie even exist?

Because it's interesting to see one's favorites books made into movies.

But as for differences: In the Clockwork Orange movie, protagonist Alex took home a couple of teenagers, whereas in the book, he took home two ten year old girls. The former is likely to be more palatable to the general movie-goer than the latter.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Room 237 (the documentary of Kubrick's "The Shining") with a number of different analyses of the film is now on NetFlix.

Nice they finally got something I wanted to watch. It's 1:45 hours long, I'm about an hour in -- and the current analyst is explaining why The Shining is Kubrick's secret admission of his involvement with the Apollo 13 "fake film." (The idea here is that maybe the landing is real, but the footage was faked so that it could be shown on TV.)

It's definitely an interesting documentary, although some of the ideas flung out there sound pretty whack to me, while others seem more palatable.

I do think Kubrick really liked to toss a lot of reverberating imagery into his films in order to instigate thought, and he wasn't haphazard, so repeated imagery probably has some purpose. He also used a lot of disturbing overlay and scene dissolves, as well as weird and impossible hotel architecture to throw off one's sense of reality in this film.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Room 237 (the documentary of Kubrick's "The Shining") with a number of different analyses of the film is now on NetFlix.

Nice they finally got something I wanted to watch. It's 1:45 hours long, I'm about an hour in -- and the current analyst is explaining why The Shining is Kubrick's secret admission of his involvement with the Apollo 13 "fake film." (The idea here is that maybe the landing is real, but the footage was faked so that it could be shown on TV.)

It's definitely an interesting documentary, although some of the ideas flung out there sound pretty whack to me, while others seem more palatable.

I do think Kubrick really liked to toss a lot of reverberating imagery into his films in order to instigate thought, and he wasn't haphazard, so repeated imagery probably has some purpose. He also used a lot of disturbing overlay and scene dissolves, as well as weird and impossible hotel architecture to throw off one's sense of reality in this film.

A horror movie designed to instigate thought? A possibility, however crazy it may be.

The Shining is full of archetypes. You can choose the proper Bear archetype meaning for that movie here:
http://speakerfortheanimals.blogspot.com/2006/03/bear-great-mother.html

The twins represent good and evil, but also the way history repeats itself. The positioning of the twins in the bloody corpse scene represents yin and yang. You should also ask yourself why a girl was murdered and not a boy, or a boy and a girl.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think hating on something because it's not "true to the book" is kind of stupid. If it's exactly the same, why does the movie even exist? I like it when things are changed from the book, on many occasions. People still have the book, and can always read the book if they feel a need to know what "really" happened.

Some food for thought:
http://flavorwire.com/418096/who-cares-if-a-great-movie-like-the-shining-is-a-bad-adaptation/

"Kubrick’s obligation to King was not to make a book report — it was to make an effective movie, one that worked on its own terms. This is, above all else, the job of the cinematic storyteller, fidelity to source material be damned."