• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John Mayer: Where The Light Is - Live In Los Angeles CD/DVD/BLURAY

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think he's very very F. I'd say probably NF but there's a strong sensory streak there, too. If he's an S, he's gotta be an SP IMO. IXFP is my best guess, leaning towards the N if only because there's an unmistakable NF vibe to his music.

Atomic Fiend

Lies, all lies.

Naw but really, is that what you think or are you just screwing with me? Either way, you could very well be right with that guess. I suppose him being an 'F' isn't too far fetched.

No actually I was just screwing with you. :D

To tell you the truth, I don't think he's J, I said that because you said he had to atleast have two letters in common with you and I'm no dream crusher.

I do believe him to be an F though. IxFx

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Beat, I agree with you on the pop sensibilities part. I've always appreciated great musicians with pop sensilities more than those without. I don't get why "pop" is such a dirty word these days. I have a pretty wide definition of pop, though... like I consider Coltrane, or even Tom Waits to have pop sensibilities on many songs on the Rain Dogs album, and I wouldn't say the Pussycat Dolls have any pop sensibility to their songs at all, but I digress. I guess pop sensilities to me means songwriting, not just technical musicianship. The pop aspect of songs only makes them better, and pop sensibilities only makes a musician better. Thats why I think Hendrix is probably the best guitarist or even just the best musician I've ever heard; he wasn't just amazing at playing guitar, but he could focus his talent into elegantly simple, but still deep, innovative, and visionary pop songs. John Mayer runs in this vein, too, and for that he is better than most guys out there today.
Fully agreed.

A lot of musicians (and just avid music listeners in general) thrive to hear people pushing the limits in their talent and expertise but, to the common man/woman listening to an album or the radio, they can only appreciate the technicalities to such an extent. If you're a great artist and can implement pop sensibilities into your music, you'll cater to a much wider audience and they will be able to appreciate the music even more. People are impressed with drum solos, crazy guitar sweeps, etc. but when it's all said and done, John Doe just needs a freakin melody and a beat that's simple enough that he can step and bob his head to. Something identifiable. I see it as a necessary musical balance when dealing with the general public. Growing up with my dad in a music studio has really helped shape my opinion on the matter. Listening to music producers advise the direction of songs using their pop sensibilities and doing totally cool things with it; It's a lot of fun.

Blink 182 and Killswitch Engage are bands in their genre that I think did an excellent job with this. Punk rockers have disdain for Blink 182 (although it seems a few of them can appreciate the band because they simply kick ass). True metal heads have disdain for Killswitch Engage. Both bands are rich and selling millions of albums... Killswitch Engage's guitarist is a graduate of Berklee college of Music in Boston. I believe the most reputable school for music in the country. He studied production, engineering and bass guitar. He does all the engineering and production for the band's albums on his own. Killswitch's dummer graduated Hartt School of Music in Connecticut and has a master's degree in percussion. When he isn't on tour with KSE he plays for symphonies in CT. Obviously the guys are well studied but it's their sensitivity to what appeals to the masses that has driven them to success. To me, that's an art.

But hey, I know a lot of people will disagree with me. I'm that guy that likes really tight sounding, over produced recordings. :p

Tomatoes/Tomahtoes.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I just found out John Mayer dated Jessica Simpson for 9 months... Cool points lost, but still retains God status.

Also, were you guys aware that Mayer is featured on Fall Out Boy's cover of Michael Jackson's song "Beat It." Kind of a shame. lol
YouTube - Fall Out Boy - Beat It (Official Music Video)

So, has anyone checked this DVD out yet, courtesy of my recommendation? I've watched it several times.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I got the DVD and watched it a few times. My favourite set is definitely the Trio set. The highlights for me are Neon, Stop This Train, The entire Trio set, Waiting on the World to Change, and... don't even remember off the top of my head. Awesome DVD.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Glad you got it, G-zer. The Trio set is my favorite too. "Good Love Is On The Way" is probably one of my fave tracks.

Edit:
Just realized I left the DVD at my parent's house. Dang. :(

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Awesome set. He really is great live. Say what you want about him in general, but he can play guitar like a champ. Talented mofo...

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think he's very very F. I'd say probably NF but there's a strong sensory streak there, too. If he's an S, he's gotta be an SP IMO. IXFP is my best guess, leaning towards the N if only because there's an unmistakable NF vibe to his music.

His lyrics: INFP.
His ability to practice a craft like guitar, all day/everyday, to be THAT good: ISFP

After seeing him respond to a reporter in Japanese, I settled on INFP.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
John Meyer = weiner.

Got it.

I was right! Playboy interview.

Highlights:

Someone asked me the other day, 'What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?' And by the way, it’s sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass.

My dick is sort of like a white supremacist... I’ve got a Benetton heart and a fuckin' David Duke cock. I'm going to start dating separately from my dick.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Pro-Tip: Don't do interviews while high.

He was all damage control yesterday on twitter. I don't know why white people talk about race at all. Digging the hole deeper.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Still looks like a little boy. Which makes his racist rants even funnier. It wouldn't be that funny coming from Mel Gibson or Robert Dinero.

I wouldn't call that a "racist rant." I think he was drunk and not putting together coherent thoughts. It wasn't offensive so much as totally bizarre.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I wouldn't call that a "racist rant." I think he was drunk and not putting together coherent thoughts. It wasn't offensive so much as totally bizarre.

At the least, it was "accidentally" racist. He let racist stuff slip out. It didn't come from nowhere.

You're always apologizing on the forum for the people who get accussed of doing something racist or prejudice.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
JM is a very good musician. Talented as hell. The abumn he did with bassist Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan was pretty awesome. (John Mayer Trio).

[YOUTUBE="L_zRDchkDXg"]Vultures[/YOUTUBE]

He does need to stop doing interviews though.

EDIT: Sorry Beat. I didn't click on your initial link. We are on the same page, I believe. I think the DVD trailer has outtakes of this? :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
At the least, it was "accidentally" racist. He let racist stuff slip out. It didn't come from nowhere.

You're always apologizing on the forum for the people who get accussed of doing something racist or prejudice.

Well it wasn't like his speech was all that hateful. Just retarded. The worst thing he said is that his penis is a white supremacist.