• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John Mayer: Where The Light Is - Live In Los Angeles CD/DVD/BLURAY

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I see. Well, I was just making a general comment.

No problem there.

Ha. I can think of plenty of reasons why those preferences could have everything to do with racism.

If they are based on prejudicial thoughts about different races, then sure, they could be. But assuming someone is physically attracted/repelled by certain races, you can't attack them as racist for that.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
MAYER: Someone asked me the other day, “What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?” And by the way, it’s sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass if you really have a hood pass? But I said, “I can’t really have a hood pass. I’ve never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, ‘We’re full.’"

Ok here is the full quote for the hood/nigger pass comment.

He did say the word nigger. But he is cognizant of the fact that he isn't black and could never understand what it means to be black. I think he is showing total respect.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

He did say the word nigger. But he is cognizant of the fact that he isn't black and could never understand what it means to be black. I think he is showing total respect.

It was awkward phrasing, but he freely admits that he has advantages there. I don't see how it's racist. He just seems like a truly strange guy with a lot of thoughts crashing about and no real edit button. Perhaps a drinking problem, too. Remember the drunken Ron Paul convo/argument with Justin Long?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

He did say the word nigger. But he is cognizant of the fact that he isn't black and could never understand what it means to be black.

Eh? Isn't that pretty much exactly what he said?

MAYER: What is being black? It’s making the most of your life, not taking a single moment for granted. Taking something that’s seen as a struggle and making it work for you, or you’ll die inside. Not to say that my struggle is like the collective struggle of black America. But maybe my struggle is similar to one black dude’s.

This guy doesn't know whether he is coming or going. Great music though.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The whole interview reads like he is speaking to his best friend and not the general public. First mistake.

He has no business giving interviews.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As to the preferences question, I don't think we can control it. Many black women I know are not attracted to the vast majority of white men, and many Asian women I know have a strong preference for white men over Asian men. Is that racist? I don't think it can be, if you can't control it. Racism necessitates a BELIEF about races.

So if I have an uncontrollable fear of black people when I see them walking down the side of my street, I'm not a racist?

SWEET!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
So if I have an uncontrollable fear of black people when I see them walking down the side of my street, I'm not a racist?

SWEET!

If you were born with it, I don't see how it could be considered racist. If you believe it's because black people are all violent and will hurt you, then of course it is.