• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mesmerizing Atmospheric Films

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
2001: A Space Odyssey

The Thin Red Line

The Dollars Trilogy

You know, a lot of videogames induce a surrealistic experience as well. Those are by far my favorite.

I hate 2001 A Space Odyssey. I am not trying to be difficult but it's the only film I've seen suggested that I can't stand.

Sci fi is one of those genres I don't tolerate well though. It has to be mixed with something like horror or steampunk or something.

I am curious about the dollars trilogy though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I agree that a lot of Kubrick and Lynch films qualify, and to the person who said Winters Bone is mainstream....that doesn't matter. That film is amazing and captures mountain people perfectly. Though it is set in the Ozarks it actually reminds me of some parts of West Virginia.

Yeah, where I grew up (very very southern central PA), I was only about 20 miles from the WV border, and Winter's Bone reminded me very much of that environment and culture there, although I think not quite as backwoods. (But uncannily reminiscent.)

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just found this thread and thought it was interesting.

2001: A Space Odyssey would have to be my favorite of this type of film. Kubrick makes some good ones. While not a personal favorite, The Shining would also qualify.

Other films of this type that I like would include Vertigo, Let The Right One In, Persepolis, Upstream Color, Children of Men, and Raising Arizona. I know comedies don't spring to mind for this category, but the Coens are masters of atmosphere and that movie is dripping with it. It could almost be a silent movie.

S

Stansmith

Films by Andrei Tarkovsky (your best bet):

Stalker
The Mirror
The Sacrifice
Solaris

Films by Ingmar Bergman (not as surreal or visual, but still worthwhile):

Persona
Winter Light
Through a Glass Darkly

Raffaella

bon vivant
Most of what I was going to recommend has already been mentioned but 3 Women by Robert Altman is relatively unknown and very atmospheric. Loved it!