• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elysium

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Just got back from the midnight show.

Really is just a big budget remake of District 9 but without prawns and higher profile actors.

Not bad, but was expecting more.

Funny thing: I actively went out of my way to avoid spoilers and plot details...just to have it ruined 5 mins before the movie started with a pre-movie featurette. The audience was groaning when it ended.

Stop it Hollywood. Just stop.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh no. I hated District 9. To me, it was one of those movies that tricked people into thinking it was clever and original, like The Matrix, except with District 9, it's easier to find out that it isn't original, because it was nominated for an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. It was basically a hipster's wet dream. I'm seeing Elysium tonight.

I would've saw Percy Jackson 2 but then I remembered that I didn't really like Percy Jackson 1. It was basically Chris Columbus' cash-in after completing the first two Harry Potter movies. Though to be fair, he directed the two best Potter flicks in the franchise.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Funny thing: I actively went out of my way to avoid spoilers and plot details...just to have it ruined 5 mins before the movie started with a pre-movie featurette. The audience was groaning when it ended.

Stop it Hollywood. Just stop.

Yeah, I'm sick of all the spoiler stuff that gets dumped. The media is just too 24/7 and always feels the need to make noise. Can't they just stfu? I miss the days when I didn't know the entire plot of a movie before heading to the theater.

I would've saw Percy Jackson 2 but then I remembered that I didn't really like Percy Jackson 1. It was basically Chris Columbus' cash-in after completing the first two Harry Potter movies. Though to be fair, he directed the two best Potter flicks in the franchise.

That's a pretty bold statement. Although I'm sure we can agree on which ones were the total dogs.

I saw PJ1. It was okay.
Which means it wasn't in "Ghost Rider" or "Fantastic Four" category, but it wasn't worth remembering much about. (And I don't, at this point.)

Beorn

Permabanned
So basically....

Rich people are EVIL THE MOVIE!!

Uh, well my understanding is that the movie is about a huge uncrossable chasm between rich and poor which is evil or at least against common American sentiment,

G

Ginkgo

I loved District 9 and decided to see it in part because production the Halo live action movie was dropped for its production.

I'd believe Elysium doesn't consist of very much new material so my enthusiasm's abated.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I loved District 9 and decided to see it in part because production the Halo live action movie was dropped for its production.

I'd believe Elysium doesn't consist of very much new material so my enthusiasm's abated.

Glad I'm going for free / discount.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard Jodie Foster gives and inexplicably bad performance.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
^Yes. It was, in all possibility, the worst performance in motion picture history. My jaw was on the floor.

Luckily, Sharlito Copley counters this as the best villain of the year so far. Other than the shocking gore factor, he is the best thing about Elysium.

Speaking of which: If Blomkamp DOES make the Halo movie after all, it needs to be R. I pray he never makes a PG-13 film. Like District 9, Elysium is ultraviolent--and rightly so.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard Jodie Foster gives and inexplicably bad performance.

Sadly, you heard right.

I wouldn't call it "bad" per se, but it wasn't particularly good.

Also, after all the bitching about how bad the accents were in "Planet Earth," well, I don't know whether Foster's was supposed to be French or not. The bottom line is that she only hit it about 50% of the time. maybe less.

Damon and the guy playing Spider were decent enough, and maybe whassername (the pseudo love interest). But even the half-crazy outback/scottish nemesis dude Damon was up against had a far more consistent accent than Foster.

It was kinda like District 9 Lite. It was better than your average B-rate scifi flick, but it's not really worth a repeat viewing and won't linger very long in the genre. I do like Blomkamp's kind of "TV news/documentary" style filming, though.

At least there were a few actual laughs in the movie -- the audience tittered appreciatively.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All I have to say is, nice Bugatti!

EDIT: Jodie Foster was in this? I couldn't tell because an epileptic was holding the camera.

The only other thing I noticed was the dude from District 9 doing his Peter Stormare impression.

xisnotx

Permabanned
it sounds stupid...even if those who lived on dystopia earth managed to make it on to the sky settlement...they'd just ruin it, anyway. the world sucks precisely because of people...not because of the money people created. duh.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
EDIT: Jodie Foster was in this? I couldn't tell because an epileptic was holding the camera.

Yeah, that was pretty bad too. It was hard to track much of the action due to all the shakes.

it sounds stupid...even if those who lived on dystopia earth managed to make it on to the sky settlement...they'd just ruin it, anyway. the world sucks precisely because of people...not because of the money people created. duh.

Civilization would be so much better if we could just get rid of all the people.

P

Phantonym

The movie was a nice, light entertainment. I've definitely seen worse.

Sadly, you heard right.

I wouldn't call it "bad" per se, but it wasn't particularly good.

Agreed. I really like Foster as an actress, but her appearance in this movie almost felt like a cameo just to attract viewers with some big names.

Also, after all the bitching about how bad the accents were in "Planet Earth," well, I don't know whether Foster's was supposed to be French or not. The bottom line is that she only hit it about 50% of the time. maybe less.

Damon and the guy playing Spider were decent enough, and maybe whassername (the pseudo love interest). But even the half-crazy outback/scottish nemesis dude Damon was up against had a far more consistent accent than Foster.

Foster is actually fluent in French, so the French part sounded good to an untrained ear. I just figured that since this is 2154 and the world is what it is, a citizen of Elysium might not supposed to have a consistent accent.

But it is distracting when, instead of focusing on the movie, you catch yourself wondering about the accents and how Foster's backside could have used a more flattering garment.

And Sharlto Copley is a native of South Africa, hence the more genuine accent.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The movie was a nice, light entertainment. I've definitely seen worse.

Yes. Typically in this genre, if a movie is "bad," it will be disjointed, non-sensible, kind of glaring logic farts, and totally wooden acting. This didn't really have that, it was just more that it didn't ascend to any sort of height. The story was pretty basic, not really delved into on a personal level, and there were no real surprises. I think Oblivion tried to be more noble in some ways than this movie, which is kind of unexpected.

Agreed. I really like Foster as an actress, but her appearance in this movie almost felt like a cameo just to attract viewers with some big names.

Yes, she seemed sort of miscast if you know what I mean -- like she wasn't really comfortable with the part. Have she and William Fichtner acted together since Contact? In that movie, they had more rapport.

The President is played by the first captain in the opening moments of Star Trek (2009). I leaned over to my friend and said, "Hey, what's Star Fleet doing in this movie?"

Foster is actually fluent in French, so the French part sounded good to an untrained ear. I just figured that since this is 2154 and the world is what it is, a citizen of Elysium might not supposed to have a consistent accent.

Well, to my mind is a person's attempt to speak one language while having been born and raised with the phonetics of a different one, so those sounds/phonetics are being used as substitutes for the real ones they cannot emulate. So there should be some consistency there. It wasn't as bad as Planet Earth (which was pretty dreadful), but it definitely seemed like sometimes her accent would be heavy on some words, then on the same sounds in other words it was not. It also felt very forced.

That of course is being said as an observer and someone who can't speak another language anyway.

But it is distracting when, instead of focusing on the movie, you catch yourself wondering about the accents and how Foster's backside could have used a more flattering garment.

it was just odd seeing all the close-ups with the lines visible around her eyes. Jodie Foster is getting old? Say it ain't so!

And Sharlto Copley is a native of South Africa, hence the more genuine accent.

The South African accent is a weird half dutch/half australian thing.

Thanks, it sounded more consistent to me even if I couldn't place what it was.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Foster was embarrassingly authoritative. Bitch deserves to be in a silk dress with her boobs hanging out and being emotional. That's it. Keep her in those roles.

Otherwise I wasn't pleased with the ending. As far as I can tell, everyone on earth becomes a citizen of elysium, flies up to elysium, stinks it up with their filth until it becomes another crappy earth.

The end.

I also consider myself part of "the 1%," even though I am broke and have no money. So this movie was kind of insulting to me. I felt like it was pandering to a larger audience.