• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP musicians?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
They are? In my experience, they don't seem to like thinking about it. "that's too depressing" is something I seem to hear a lot from them... and I'm basing this on more than one INFP. You've never known an INFP to get two thirds of the way through a book, and then put it down because it's "too upsetting?" Admittedly, I find this really weird, because isn't the point of art to stir your emotions? If something makes you feel, isn't that good?
I agree with the others, I embrace the dark stuff. In fact, I actually like depressing books or films - I like intense truth.

I say we take away their INFP cards. It's one of the things I like best about my type, the almost stereotypical ability to roll around like a pig in mud in misery, melancholy and all things death and depressing. You know, before getting back to the rainbows and sunshine.
Yeah, it doesn't sound very INFP like - maybe they were ISFPs [MENTION=4660]msg_v2[/MENTION]?

I was going to say maybe they were INFP 9s (or 6s) but then you're one and you don't identify... :thinking:

I'm not sure if he is and INFP or not, but Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins always wrote in a way I could relate to.

Probably the best Pumpkins albums came from a time period where he was married to someone who hated his music and from interviews largely seemed to be in an unhappy marriage (Gish, Siamese Dream and Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness)..
I don't think he's a INFP - I always thought he was a INFJ. He has more of that J directness and forcefulness.

There is something rather dark about him, though

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree with the others, I embrace the dark stuff. In fact, I actually like depressing books or films - I like intense truth.
Then I would highly recommend Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes.[/tangent]

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They are? In my experience, they don't seem to like thinking about it. "that's too depressing" is something I seem to hear a lot from them... and I'm basing this on more than one INFP. You've never known an INFP to get two thirds of the way through a book, and then put it down because it's "too upsetting?" Admittedly, I find this really weird, because isn't the point of art to stir your emotions? If something makes you feel, isn't that good?

Someone is confusing INFPs with ISFJs. :thelook:

I've yet to know one INFP who complains of anything being too depressing, e9s included.

Me? I LIVE for sadness. It's pretty sick actually. :wack:

--------

IDK who all has been mentioned in here yet, but a few musicians I think are INFP:

Robert Smith (The Cure)
Fiona Apple
Cat Power
Ian Curtis (Joy Division)
William Reid (Jesus & Mary Chain)
Paul Banks (Interpol)

I think Marc Bolan (T-Rex) could've been INFP also. He wrote poetry, was scared to drive, was sort of wacky but had a sensitive vibe... seems quite INFP.

EDIT: e4 musicians tend to seem INFP to me because I find them highly relatable, such as Billy Corgan, but I too suspect he is likely INFJ. The lyrics just scream Fi to me, but it may just be the e4 perspective.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My take

Smith sp/so e45 infj
Apple so/sp e45 infp
Power so/sp e54 intp
Curtis sp/so e54 infp
Reid sp/so e54 infp
Banks and Bolan so/sp e54 infp
Corgan sp/sx e65 enfj

I feel so silly when I do this.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My take

Smith sp/so e45 infj
Apple so/sp e45 infp
Power so/sp e54 intp
Curtis sp/so e54 infp
Reid sp/so e54 infp
Banks and Bolan so/sp e54 infp
Corgan sp/sx e65 enfj

Robert Smith is undoubtedly INFP, and prototypical at that...... how is he Ni-dom?

Banks & Bolan 5s & not 4s? They're not dry enough....

IDK about Cat Power being INTP either... dry, impersonal logic for her? :shock:

And Corgan a 6w5 & not 4w3? I can buy ENFJ for him though.

I feel so silly when I do this.

How else should you feel? :D

I feel very, very important when I do this :newwink: .

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just find can't really figure out what the hell he's trying to say in interviews. NTPs... I usually get what they're doing even if I don't agree with it.

Explain what is NTP about this:

I don't know what he's talking about. the music was dead? I can't picture an NTP ever saying such a thing. Nothing about that makes any sense to me at all. It sounds like some Fi/enneagram 4 deal that I'm never going to make sense of, no matter how hard I try.

By comparison, Harrison's rambling about God actually makes perfect sense to me. He likes meditation because he directly feels something profound, spiritual, and peaceful, rather than having some priest telling him to just take his word for it. I meditate, and while I wouldn't say that's my reason for meditating, I can get why someone would say that. INFJ.

Regarding what Nintje said, all the examples I'm thinking of are women.

He's talking about when they were around 18 and they were playing in Hamburg, with many other bands. That was a time of playing 10, 12 hours a day, a lot of sex, a lot of drugs, etc. They were all the "bad rockers"
Then their manager grabbed them and transformed them into a pop act....dressed in suits (before they had leather jackets) and playing love songs, that were designed to reach an audience of teenage girls. In that paragraph I see frustration in Lennon about not having progressed in his proficiency because of that situation, I dont really see a worry about being authentic.

At this point, it would be interesting to think about what his ennegram might be.

I don't like him at all as a person. He left his son (Julian) and he was a violent man (he beat his first wife, Cynthia). The thing with Yoko and how he allowed himself to be that manipulated seems to me to be more related to an underdeveloped Fe in him than Fi (but maybe I'm wrong and this is unrelated to MBTI or enneagram).

He just seems like such a hypocrite, singing about love and peace and then being a negligent father and an abusive husband...at least McCartney was singing about love things and being the fun-loving guy, no hypocrisy there. I'd like to think that an Fi user would be more concerned about consistency in values and behavior. But maybe it's unrelated to type :shrug:

Do you know his enneagram type?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He's talking about when they were around 18 and they were playing in Hamburg, with many other bands. That was a time of playing 10, 12 hours a day, a lot of sex, a lot of drugs, etc. They were all the "bad rockers"
Then their manager grabbed them and transformed them into a pop act....dressed in suits (before they had leather jackets) and playing love songs, that were designed to reach an audience of teenage girls. In that paragraph I see frustration in Lennon about not having progressed in his proficiency because of that situation, I dont really see a worry about being authentic.

He refers to being a sellout, and even uses that phrase.It's more than just not getting to practice enough or something, although that's in there. To me, that almost sounds like, because he "sold out", he's not being a real musician. That's the best I can tease out.

I don't like him at all as a person. He left his son (Julian) and he was a violent man (he beat his first wife, Cynthia). The thing with Yoko and how he allowed himself to be that manipulated seems to me to be more related to an underdeveloped Fe in him than Fi (but maybe I'm wrong and this is unrelated to MBTI or enneagram).

I associate that kind of behavior, fairly or unfairly, of not practicing what you preach, to an (unhealthy... it should be emphasized) ENFP. Also, I am skewed a bit by his involvement with activism, which seems ENFP.

I don't see anything Ti about that at all. Ti is obsessed with internal coherency, and finds it difficult to hold conflicting ideas like that in the head (unless, perhaps... they are unconscious.) The thing is, the ENF stuff is such a part of his personality.

I cannot see an ENT past the age of 20 ever saying that "Love is all you need." (unless that was Paul's doing? ) I have not observed any trace of introverted Thinking in him.

He just seems like such a hypocrite, singing about love and peace and then being a negligent father and an abusive husband...at least McCartney was singing about love things and being the fun-loving guy, no hypocrisy there. I'd like to think that an Fi user would be more concerned about consistency in values and behavior.

I agree with you.... that's why I like Harrison, much, much better. I'm biased, admittedly, but that's not necessarily something I've observed in Fi users. Perhaps it comes out of having values and then not thinking of the consequences and implications of those values? I don't know. I'm hardly an unbiased source here, I'll admit that my impression of the ENTP archetype is much more favorable than the ENFP archetype.

I am trying to revise my personal prejudices on that, but to me he seems like a dick in the way ENFPs are dicks, not in the way ENTPS are dicks.

Do you know his enneagram type?

I don't, other than the fact that he's not a 5.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=4660]msg_v2[/MENTION] ok, i respect your opinions. who knows, maybe he's really enfp.

the only thing: love is all you need was written by paul. paul composed most (all?) love songs. the "love songs" written by lennon are never simply love songs, there's always sarcasm or politics or surrealism in them. it's like he's not comfortable expressing his feelings.

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]
you didn't see the big pics of Cat Power and Fiona Apple on my initial post? :(
[MENTION=4533]sleuthiness[/MENTION]
no! i've decided that Cat Power and Fiona Apple are INFPs and that's it! :p
[MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION]
i was thinking exactly the same about billy corgan.... seems a bit dark, also seems a bit direct...i thought he was a T?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ok, i respect your opinions. who knows, maybe he's really enfp.

the only thing: love is all you need was written by paul. paul composed most (all?) love songs. the "love songs" written by lennon are never simply love songs, there's always sarcasm or politics or surrealism in them. it's like he's not comfortable expressing his feelings.

I'll have to listen to some of Lennon's solo work, then. That was one of the foundations of my ENFP characterization, so I'm more in doubt about Lennon being an ENFP than before.

Don't get me wrong, I like that song, but if I could write songs, I don't think I'd ever write a song like that.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll have to listen to some of Lennon's solo work, then. That was one of the foundations of my ENFP characterization, so I'm more in doubt about Lennon being an ENFP than before.

Don't get me wrong, I like that song, but if I could write songs, I don't think I'd ever write a song like that.

oh shit! wikipedia says that song was written by lennon, i'm so embarrassed. i'm sorry to have caused you confusion, now im confused myself.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh shit! wikipedia says that song was written by lennon, i'm so embarrassed. i'm sorry to have caused you confusion, now im confused myself.

Ah!!!

Theory confirmed.

Well, not really. But in a bullshit Ti dom way, yeah.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] Sorry, I don't always read stuff in order :doh: .

I think Liz Fraser of Cocteau Twins is ISFP, based on some interviews, but certainly Fi-dom.

Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star - INFP or ISFP?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Robert Smith is undoubtedly INFP, and prototypical at that...... how is he Ni-dom?

Banks & Bolan 5s & not 4s? They're not dry enough....

IDK about Cat Power being INTP either... dry, impersonal logic for her? :shock:

And Corgan a 6w5 & not 4w3? I can buy ENFJ for him though.

How else should you feel? :D

I feel very, very important when I do this :newwink: .

I consider these relatively easy typings so I'm not sure how to respond.

Discerning between infp and intp isn't exactly rocket science, but what's this about dryness?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Re: dark side

I don't talk about it much because it brings people down, but I think about it a lot and find a certain beauty in suffering and intense pain or sadness. Not that I would ever want to cause it, and not that I enjoy or relish experiencing it, but I do sometimes see it as beautiful in some ways.

I have set a book aside when it was too upsetting, once. I was reading it at a time when I was also experiencing extreme turmoil in my life and it was just too much- I couldn't focus between them or separate the two.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
And re: INFP musicians: what about Elliott Smith? Also no stranger to the dark side.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

No. That wouldn't be why it's upsetting. A book is upsetting when it's poorly crafted, yanking the emotional world of the characters around like puppets on strings. Books that contain no rational threads connecting the narrative and emotional realm and tenor of the characters. Think of it like all the nitpicky Ti things that bug you about, oh, say M Night Shyamalan's movies. (I can provide another example if that doesn't 'click' for you.) Now, take that to the world of people. Those are the things that upset me anyway. There are diversities in characters for sure, but there's rules within that and you can't just break those rules willy-nilly.

I will also say I hate sticky books sometimes, that the emotional experience of it 'sticks' with me and intermingles with my own for longer than I want. Sometimes I have enough real-world emotions around me to deal with, I don't need to add those found in the fictional realm as well. I want to shake them off me, but I have to process them as thought they are my own.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Lol @ people thinking that Paul wrote All You Need Is love (Not "Love is all you need"), and that John never wrote love songs. Wut?

/leaves music thread

Edit: Sorry I'm so moody. [MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION]

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.