• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Daft Punk is overrated.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is an objective fact that they have achieved a level of commercial success not commensurate with their level of artistic ability. Their songs are repetitive, easy to get lodged in the head, but unlike good music, it does not make us want to keep them there.

This is reality. The burden of proof is on others to show that this is not so. Reality does not need to be explained. It simply is.

When you mention repetitive, it's more the style of music they create which is 4 on the floor, hypnotic house music(until recently), plus they have only released four full albums in the past 16 years. I think their first album was unique and innovative, it was meant to be repetitive and minimalist but there were movements like build ups. Their second album was their best IMO with influences from the '70s like disco, funk, soft rock, prog, and even metal, their third album is when they began to falter and their fourth album has been a big hit but is very mediocre and unoriginal when you get past the hype. At least with Discovery(2001) even though there was obvious retro influences they managed to put a then at the time contemporary dance music spin on it. I think Human After All though has been a very big influence on a lot of modern top 40 EDM.

MBTI Type
INTJ
It is an objective fact that they have achieved a level of commercial success not commensurate with their level of artistic ability. Their songs are repetitive, easy to get lodged in the head, but unlike good music, it does not make us want to keep them there.

This is reality. The burden of proof is on others to show that this is not so. Reality does not need to be explained. It simply is.

I can't stand Daft Punk and even I'd never say this.

FUSL

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I see this thread was made in 2013. It seems more like something one would have said in 2003.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I bet he hates the Knife too. If he's heard of them.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeeeah, they're not as good as everyone makes them out to be probably. But they're way better than Mumford and Sons and everything else that has the glory of the mainstream spotlight. They're really hit and miss for me. I've listened to quite a few of their albums, and they always feall a little flat for me. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is a great song, and I happen to like Get Lucky as well.

I think the problem is that bands who make music that is at all better than the typical radio music or have a style from a non-mainstream genre [like techno, bluegrass, etc] people just fall all over them. I think of Adelle. That chick just had a nice voice and a little different style and people were throwing elbows to beat the crowds up her butt. I think that Daft Punk has potential, but are probably driven to keep things just a little lame so that everyone will still like them. Or, they just are a little lame so people think they're great without having to venture into weird music territory.

Final evaluation, I give em a C.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeeeah, they're not as good as everyone makes them out to be probably. But they're way better than Mumford and Sons and everything else that has the glory of the mainstream spotlight.

Mumford and Son leave me cold, so I will not take issue with that. Please do not tell me that this applies to the Lumineers, however.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Random Access Memories is objectively very high quality and also their most accessible work (which I can only support), but nonetheless, it bores me compared to their older stuff. Personal taste.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Random Access Memories is objectively very high quality and also their most accessible work (which I can only support), but nonetheless, it bores me compared to their older stuff. Personal taste.

This is a pretty good description, especially since I'd never really thought about the record in terms of commercialized accessibility. Honestly, it's more of a cross-over record than any of their previous works, and a bit too much of a break-from-form from their up-tempo House music roots for my personal tastes.

To me, the lead single "Get Lucky" only real tie-ins relating back to Daft Punk is almost strictly in that their name is slapped on it; It just doesn't play at all like a song that I'd associate with the group, nor am I a real big fan of big named collaborations. Even though most fans were disappointed with Human After All as the follow-up to Discovery, it still played retained the elements associated with the group's overall sound, and in hindsight is actually a really good album, albeit comparably more one-dimensional and monotonous.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm way late to electronic music. I thought I would really like Daft Punk when I really geeked out over the Tron soundtrack. Turns out, I really only like the Tron soundtrack. But for me, it's more of a taste in style. I'm not a huge fan of EDM, unless I'm D-ing.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm way late to electronic music. I thought I would really like Daft Punk when I really geeked out over the Tron soundtrack. Turns out, I really only like the Tron soundtrack. But for me, it's more of a taste in style. I'm not a huge fan of EDM, unless I'm D-ing.

You know I found the same thing. I love the Tron soundtrack. Dabbled into their other stuff but didn't find much else worth listening to. Get Lucky is a bit infuriating at this point, but I will say that Instant Crush is an awesome song. I'll play that on Spotify probably 10 times a day.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
You know I found the same thing. I love the Tron soundtrack. Dabbled into their other stuff but didn't find much else worth listening to. Get Lucky is a bit infuriating at this point, but I will say that Instant Crush is an awesome song. I'll play that on Spotify probably 10 times a day.

Their earlier stuff is much better than the newest release.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Well, what would you recommend? I'm not opposed to electonic instrumentation per se, I just don't like repetition.

Thought you said they suck? noob. Anyways here's an amazing song.

and this

and this

one more.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP

Get Lucky is the song of the summer. Fact. Live with it.