• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Daft Punk is overrated.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is an objective fact that they have achieved a level of commercial success not commensurate with their level of artistic ability. Their songs are repetitive, easy to get lodged in the head, but unlike good music, it does not make us want to keep them there.

This is reality. The burden of proof is on others to show that this is not so. Reality does not need to be explained. It simply is.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Subjective taste is subjective.

*glaring contradiction*

If you don't like Homework & Discovery, something is wrong with you. Hell, Human After All was even pretty decent.

A

Anew Leaf

it's an objective fact that I am up all night to the sun to get some and then something something about lucky.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meh, most bands who acheive such success are overrated.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you say something is good or bad, your merely saying something about your taste and their is grounds for anyone to argue. When you say something is underrated or overrated, it inherently involves the implication that a large number of other people are wrong, thus the groundwork for an argument is laid out.

Lark

Dont think they've done anything good since the Insteller DVD/Album. Loved it.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah I kinda agree but they're not bad. I like the video for around the world.

I thought it was funny when daft punk fans flipped out at kanye sampling their music in "stronger" saying he 'stole from them.' I don't think they understand how the music industry works.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you say something is good or bad, your merely saying something about your taste and their is grounds for anyone to argue. When you say something is underrated or overrated, it inherently involves the implication that a large number of other people are wrong, thus the groundwork for an argument is laid out.

In truth, I feel that the terms "overrated" and "underrated" are actually ridiculous. It's just a way of taking the fact that your subjective opinions differ from those of other people you know, and making that seem objective and final. I was deliberately trying to invoke an obnoxious image of a "music connoisseur" who believes themselves to be an arbiter of taste. Actually, it seems to me that a lot of people seem to start calling the same things "overrated" at around the same time, which starts to raise the interesting question of why I'm having a hard time finding anyone who holds this "overrated" thing in high esteem.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember how moved I was the first time I heard Something About Us. It's understated, poignant, and universal. That's not easy to pull off.

ETA:

This is reality. The burden of proof is on others to show that this is not so. Reality does not need to be explained. It simply is.

Is this whole thread some sort of weird epilogue to that inferior thread you freaked out in? Or is this you acting out your trauma or something?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember how moved I was the first time I heard Something About Us. It's understated, poignant, and universal. That's not easy to pull off.

ETA:

Is this whole thread some sort of weird epilogue to that inferior thread you freaked out in? Or is this you acting out your trauma or something?

The former. For figuring it out, here's a picture of a sperm whale!

whale-08.jpg

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The former. For figuring it out, here's a picture of a sperm whale!

whale-08.jpg

I love how you used Daft Punk as the shell for your little bit of satire, as CLEARLY no one could ever honestly dislike Daft Punk. :laugh:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love how you used Daft Punk as the shell for your little bit of satire, as CLEARLY no one could ever honestly dislike Daft Punk. :laugh:

I don't know enough of their stuff to be able to say that I dislike them, but I am a little tired of hearing their current single. I noticed it was Zarathustra's song choice, so I went with that. But Zarathustra and I are cool now, I think.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know enough of their stuff to be able to say that I dislike them, but I am a little tired of hearing their current single.

I could agree with that, the new CD is pretty lackluster in comparison to the older stuff. With that said, Discovery gave my life purpose.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I could agree with that, the new CD is pretty lackluster in comparison to the older stuff. With that said, Discovery gave my life purpose.

Random Access Memories is a return to their more funk roots of Discovery. And I really dig it.

Human after all (2005) was unquestionably their weakest album (while still good) with its less pleasant robotic theme and tones.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Random Access Memories is a return to their more funk roots of Discovery. And I really dig it.

To each his own, I guess. Random Access Memories just feels very flat and stale, at least in comparison to other works -- It just seems like they're trying to create this light, easy-going atmosphere with the songs that just feels very contrived. I really liked the abrasiveness of Human After All, even though the songs were a bit one-dimensional and less exploratory.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
To each his own, I guess. Random Access Memories just feels very flat and stale, at least in comparison to other works -- It just seems like they're trying to create this light, easy-going atmosphere with the songs that just feels very contrived. I really liked the abrasiveness of Human After All, even though the songs were a bit one-dimensional and less exploratory.

It's not as strong as Discovery, but no one had heard anything like discovery before.

I think it's pretty close though. I can't really think of many bands as mainstream and as good as daft punk. For how popular they are, they really stay true to what they want to do, and you have to respect that.

Music critics weren't as big of fans of Human after all as they are of Random Access Memories.

Compared to most of the shit I hear played on the radio, Daft Punk is friggen Beethoven.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Human after all (2005) was unquestionably their weakest album (while still good) with its less pleasant robotic theme and tones.

I'm gonna have to give RAM a second go. I wasn't too impressed by my first listen. Pharell's contributions were actually the only bright spots.

Between that and being utterly let down by Yeezus, I'm starting to lose hope for me having a real love affair with any album this year.