• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Daft Punk is overrated.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wish people would stop liking Daft Punk, and start liking real punk music like Green Day. Nothing better captures the anti-authoritarian spirit of the punk movement better than Green Day, especially with some of their later stuff, like American Idiot.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This thread stinks of rockism.

Ah, so it's the implication that if I don't like music made for tweenage girls, for instance, I'm sexist or homophobic. (Actually, I don't really complain about stuff like Justin Bieber or One Direction at all. I don't actually find them to be that omnipresent. Something has to be everywhere and agressively "not my thing" for me to hate it. The music really isn't made for me, and I don't seem to hear it that much, so I find myself not giving a fuck.)

I like what I like. I'm not going to pretend to like something I don't like just to be more politically correct. That's stupid. It's this kind of stuff that makes me distance myself from "the left" sometimes. It's just a bunch of bullshit self-important posturing (usually among white people), as much as I wish it wasn't.

And for the record, I do like some rap music and would like to know more about it. I also like some country music, albeit not stuff you're going to find if you're going to tune into your Clear Channel country station. Hank Williams is the shit.

I also like what I've heard of St. Vincent, and would like to hear more. I feel the same way about the Black Belles.

I also think Stephen Merritt (who is gay) is awesome.

Furthermore, my XNTP cousin (from Chicago) showed me that there's more to electronic music than French Filter House, and a lot of what he showed me, like trance and Chicago house, I really liked.

I'm kidding about Greenday being the most authentic example of the punk movement. I was hoping to get a rise out of people, but it didn't work. I like punk music in small doses, when I want energy. I can't listen to it too much, it's too repetitive.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, so it's the implication that if I don't like music made for tweenage girls, for instance, I'm sexist or homophobic. (Actually, I don't really complain about stuff like Justin Bieber or One Direction at all. I don't actually find them to be that omnipresent. Something has to be everywhere and agressively "not my thing" for me to hate it. The music really isn't made for me, and I don't seem to hear it that much, so I find myself not giving a fuck.)

I like what I like. I'm not going to pretend to like something I don't like just to be more politically correct. That's stupid. It's this kind of stuff that makes me distance myself from "the left" sometimes. It's just a bunch of bullshit self-important posturing (usually among white people), as much as I wish it wasn't.

And for the record, I do like some rap music and would like to know more about it. I also like some country music, albeit not stuff you're going to find if you're going to tune into your Clear Channel country station. Hank Williams is the shit.

I also like what I've heard of St. Vincent, and would like to hear more. I feel the same way about the Black Belles.

I also think Stephen Merritt (who is gay) is awesome.

Furthermore, my XNTP cousin (from Chicago) showed me that there's more to electronic music than French Filter House, and a lot of what he showed me, like trance and Chicago house, I really liked.

I'm kidding about Greenday being the most authentic example of the punk movement. I was hoping to get a rise out of people, but it didn't work. I like punk music in small doses, when I want energy. I can't listen to it too much, it's too repetitive.

I'm not saying you should necessarily even like Daft Punk. But you need to have more than just the big hits to go off of. A lot of the less known tracks, (like Within and Contact) are a lot better. I mean, maybe they aren't the greatest thing ever, but they're hardly comparable to Justin Bieber or whatever else you're comparing them to.

OLD Daft Punk:

Last edited: