• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Think rogue was bad? Cyclopes was just an emo, insecure douche. He's the leader of the X-Men, yet had about 10 speaking lines per movie and exhibited no leadership qualities whatsoever.

Actually, every character besides Wolverine and Jean Grey were awful.

Yeah, but Cyclops was always a douche.

And Professor X was actually good.

And so were some of the villains.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Think rogue was bad? Cyclopes was just an emo, insecure douche. He's the leader of the X-Men, yet had about 10 speaking lines per movie and exhibited no leadership qualities whatsoever.

I just remember wincing a lot watching the first X-Man movie. Instead of, "Oh wow, there's so-and-so," it was, "OMG that's embarrassing, maybe the next scene will be better."

I did actually see a decent chunk of the Wolverine/Sabertooth thing I didn't even mind it much. But can I please state how much I hate Ryan Reynolds? And he was cast as Deadpool? I think the only thing I've ever half-liked him in was Blade 3, and that movie sucked, and I can't say I liked him, I just didn't find him an annoying stupid prettyboy. I seriously don't understand why he keeps getting movies, except for his pretty little face.

The first Cyclops, interestingly, was James Marsden. I'm glad he left the series and went on to do some better movies.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first Cyclops, interestingly, was James Marsden. I'm glad he left the series and went on to do some better movies.

Yeah, I thought that was really great casting with him, but they didn't utilize the character or his talents properly at all. From day one the X-Men movies were pretty much just the Hugh Jackman Show.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
That's exactly what it means.

I wish everyone appreciated my awesomeness. It's like a gift.

I know.

Sometimes it's hard being so cool.

Especially when you're surrounded by so much lameness.

Anyway, one more thing and I'll stop with the excessive bro love:

I was kidding about Ghostbusters, but I just checked your profile, and your song is on my sexytime playlist.

It can be a bit of a tricky one, but if you can get deep into it *wink* that song can make for a really crazy/intimate time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I thought that was really great casting with him, but they didn't utilize the character or his talents properly at all. From day one the X-Men movies were pretty much just the Hugh Jackman Show.

No argument there. I faintly remember where Cyclops and Wolvie briefly got in each other's craw and thinking that was pretty cool (their rivalry in the comics, mostly because of both of them wanting Jean, is persistent). But they never really did much with Cyclops in the movies. To be honest, he's a hard character to write in that there's so little that stands out about him. I think in the comics, there was once a comment about how Charles picked him as leader mainly BECAUSE he had nothing else going for him and it was the only thing that would help him stand out and grow. haha.

EDIT: Uh... M & Z... get a room, if you need one. The rest of us are trying to geek out here! ;)

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*Friggin Gambit and his friggin horrible accent and lack of charisma grumble grumble

YES. I was also livid about Gambit, where was his rugged charm?! The actor was far too pretty boy and slight of build in my opinion.

Agreed that they messed up more than just Rogue, she's just my favorite so I fixate. I agree with [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] about Cyclops as a character being kind of fearful, insecure and over-all lacking in the raw leadership skills department. I think he was always intentionally painted that way (even in the comics) so that Wolverine seemed that much more awesome and...rawr (for lack of better words)-- the Wolverine show indeed. ;) I also have to add Nightcrawler to the list of characters I was pretty satisfied with. I expected them to neglect his German roots and gentle nature, so that was a happy surprise. And Mystique, she was also done well.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
News isnt surprising, really. The studio has never respected this property.
As per them, everything gotta be Wolverine-centric 'cause it equals bucks.

Spoon fed, too. Take a look at the new Wolverine and it's predecessor.

You have to go out of your way to screw those stories up.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP

I don't know...looks pretty good...

Apocalypse is gonna be the big baddie in the sequel. Excited about that.

How long before they throw the Savage Land up in this bitch?
I wanna see the green pterodactyl and loin cloth guy with his saber tooth tiger and shit.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why hasn't Kazar had his own movie yet??

(And wasn't the green pterodactyl guy's name Sauron?)

R

Riva

Well although they are changing the story a bit a lot I think this version would be better.

X-Men first class was one of the best in the series and the cast was really good (as good as the original; and that's a lot to say).

If the story was kept unchanged they wouldn't be able to use that brilliant cast.

Edit - If I am to rank the movies it would be:

First class = X2, Wolverine 2, > X1 > X3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wolverine 1.

Edit 2 -

First class > X2 = Wolverine 2, > X1 > X3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wolverine 1.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I own all the X-Mens from something like issue #115 - #300, a number of other "X" series from the same time period (they had a glut - I even have Sienkewicz's run on the New Mutants which I hated at the time since I was young and now think is awesome). The X-Men were my series. I even picked up Joss Whedon's run in Astonishing X-Men, which I thought was pretty decent even if it was kind of retcon'ed shortly after due to the situation with Kitty.

As far as the movies go, First Class was probably the best of the bunch... but I have no interest in rewatching it, and never even bothered with X3, I think I saw X1 twice and X2 once. Even with First Class being the best, I have little interest in watching it again nor much interest in DoFP... I don't know if I'll see it at this point due to the refocus on Wolverine, who I'm kind of tired of being the star. (Damn John Byrne. Damn him to hell. ;) ) I just don't like the X-Men translations to big-screen that much.

I think most favorite superhero adaptations were Iron Man (the first one) and The Avengers (and Spiderman 2 by Raimi). The Avengers is more a popcorn movie for me, but dayum, that fight in NYC was perfect Avengers. And it's funny because I was never a big Avengers comic fan.

R

Riva

^ did you like the ultimate x-men series?

I heard it was good until the end or did it end?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't remember anything about it or what exactly it was.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
(And wasn't the green pterodactyl guy's name Sauron?)

Yes. I read recently about the focus on Wolverine...the reason they chose Wolverine instead of Shadowcat was because Kitty Pryde hadn't even been born in the 70s...makes sense to me. Wolverine is a perfect bridge for the two continuities as well. I feel the focus will be more on Prof. X and Magneto with Logan as a sort of mediator. Mystique also appears to have a fairly large part (and have sinister motives that even threaten Magneto)...this is great as she was the primary antagonist in this storyline. I doubt Wolverine will be the "main" character.

Either way, judging from the trailer it appears to keep the adaptation fairly close to the comic.
At least I hope, better than The Wolverine. They strayed waaaaaay too far away from Miller's run.

As for your ranking Riva: Switch First Class with X2 and you'd have my list.
X2 was pure cinematic bliss. The opening Nightcrawler sequence alone crushes any action scene in the past 15 years.

First Class was still aces, though.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Is that Bishop at 1:38?

And what male character is phasing him in and out a la Kitty Pride?

Interesting take on the Sentinels... that was my big question mark about this story...

Looks like there are multiple versions: present day and future...

We see a lot more of the future ones in the trailer...

Present day versions look more a la comics/cartoon but still aren't nearly as big...

That was my main question mark... cuz the size of em in the comics and cartoon is just totally not feasible...

Always wanted to see Wolverine tear apart a big ass sentinel on the big screen though... too bad

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Is that Bishop at 1:38?

Yes.

And what male character is phasing him in and out a la Kitty Pride?

...Kitty Pryde aka Shadowcat. Not a male.

Interesting take on the Sentinels... that was my big question mark about this story...

Not a fan. I want building-sized ROBOTS...not nanotech Borg bots.

Looks like there are multiple versions: present day and future...

Yes. They're mostly keeping the Sentinels 1.0 out of marketing.

We see a lot more of the future ones in the trailer...

Present day versions look more a la comics/cartoon but still aren't nearly as big...

That was my main question mark... cuz the size of em in the comics and cartoon is just totally not feasible...

Doesn't matter. I want building sized robots.
Verisimilitude is not necessary when people can shoot lasers out of their eyes.

Always wanted to see Wolverine tear apart a big ass sentinel on the big screen though... too bad

You know, now that I think of it I'm not such a big fan of "sending" Wolverine back in time.

If you're fan of the comic run, you'll understand why.
His "confrontation" with the sentinel in the Baxter Building was one of the all time great moments in comics.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. I read recently about the focus on Wolverine...the reason they chose Wolverine instead of Shadowcat was because Kitty Pryde hadn't even been born in the 70s...makes sense to me.

Yeah. Because they changed the story around backwards.

kinda lost my interest -- they could have called it something completely different, but what they did was swipe the name for press and then change everything around so it's not the story they named it after. It could be a decent story in its own right, who knows?