• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Conjuring

E

Epiphany

I'm looking forward to this film even though I'm not overly impressed with the trailer. I try not to put too much stock in critics' reviews, but it currently has an 89% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes claiming that's it's NOT like all of the other redundant horror movies that have come out in the last decade or so. It's hard to find a genuinely scary movie these days. I've almost given up hope. Let's hope this one doesn't disappoint.

V

violaine

Um, I had to stop the trailer at 37 seconds, haha. I wish I could watch stuff like this. I think I'll just go read about it instead.

E

Epiphany

Um, I had to stop the trailer at 37 seconds, haha. I wish I could watch stuff like this. I think I'll just go read about it instead.

Ha! I WISH I could get scared from watching movies. I love the spine-tingling sensation when you're sitting at the edge of your seat in suspense; it just doesn't happen very often. Most horror films these days ruin the mood with cheesy sound effects and trite visuals. How many more movies are we going to see of a girl contorting her body or bending over backwards? It was novel 40 years ago when the Exorcist came out. Now, it's a dreadfully overused cliché.

Also, I roll my eyes every time the music hits a high note when something remotely suspenseful happens. What's that? A creepy child peeks around the corner? [Cue screeching noise] It would be a lot fucking scarier if the moment was silent and the horror was subtle, leaving a genuine feeling of dread instead of feeling like you're walking through a haunted attraction and someone startles you from around the corner.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty excitied about this -- especially with all the acclaim it has received. (Right now, it looks like it's beating out Red 2, Turbo, and RIPD hands-down in the Rotten Tomatoes scoring.)

Same director as Saw and Insidious.

It's about time we had a decent "scare" movie (well, I hope!) come out in widespread release. I just watched the Evil Dead remake last night, and that's more just a gore fest.

I'm also familiar with Ed and Lorraine Warren (I read a copy of "The Demonologist") years ago. I still have memory of that freaky Raggedy Anne doll they had sealed up in a glass box.

V

violaine

Ha! I WISH I could get scared from watching movies. I love the spine-tingling sensation when you're sitting at the edge of your seat in suspense; it just doesn't happen very often. Most horror films these days ruin the mood with cheesy sound effects and trite visuals. How many more movies are we going to see of a girl contorting her body or bending over backwards? It was novel 40 years ago when the Exorcist came out. Now, it's a dreadfully overused cliché.

Also, I roll my eyes every time the music hits a high note when something remotely suspenseful happens. What's that? A creepy child peeks around the corner? [Cue screeching noise] It would be a lot fucking scarier if the moment was silent and the horror was subtle, leaving a genuine feeling of dread instead of feeling like you're walking through a haunted attraction and someone startles you from around the corner.

Maybe the regular fare is made for people like me who can't really take it. Have you always been able to watch horror? It's too real to me. (This makes me think about a time I took ambien to sleep. It didn't make me sleep, it made me hallucinate about creepy men in my room the whole night).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(This makes me think about a time I took ambien to sleep. It didn't make me sleep, it made me hallucinate about creepy men in my room the whole night).

Probably a bad idea to watch Paranormal Activity in bed, then... :unsure: Or the first segment of V/H/S 2.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know why, but horror has become my favorite genre at some point. I like it when it's typically mixed with other things (I love scifi horror and drama horror, for example.) But I'm always one for a good scare movie.

I thought Silent House was pretty impressive with the appearance of one long unbroken shot and Elizabeth Olsen's amazing performance (it's kind of one entire creepfest where you're jumping at everything she is, even when nothing is really there) -- unfortunately what dramatic elements were attempted to be filtered in at movie's end are kind of complete garbage.

It reminds me of when I was young, living in the 200 year old parsonage of the 1700's cemetery and church next door, and I could look out and see the tombstones in the moonlight at night. And our house was old and creaky and had many dark spaces. Sometimes I'd get so scared going upstairs to the bathroom, I'd turn off the light to leave on my way back and run like mad down the steps and then stop and act normal.

But I like rollercoasters and similar scares as well -- I like the rush, I think, and the key'ed up feeling of imagination and sensory impression totally anchored in the moment. It's like feeling very alive, almost like an SX vibe.

V

violaine

Probably a bad idea to watch Paranormal Activity in bed, then... :unsure: Or the first segment of V/H/S 2.

I would just about die of fright, I'm sure. It kinda sux.

Did you happen to see the clip of the guy who pranked his sleeping GF recently? I don't know if I would flip out, (probably would). I did think it was oddly sweet he went to so much effort.

Lol, bastard.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Did you happen to see the clip of the guy who pranked his sleeping GF recently? I don't know if I would flip out, (probably would). I did think it was oddly sweet he went to so much effort.

Lol, bastard.

I'll look later (work blocks everything, meh). No, I only heard about the guy who had his gf arrested so he could propose to her -- not as bad as the guy who pretended to be in a horrible car wreck / dead or something and then proposed. (DOH)

Now I can't wait to see the vid!

Some people aren't scared by Para Activ but I'm the kind who projects into the story/movie, and I have to say the thought of having even someone I know loom over me for 90 minutes in a trance while I'm sleeping creeps me out... let alone being dragged out of bed and down the hall into the dark by something I can't see.

V

violaine

I'll look later (work blocks everything, meh). No, I only heard about the guy who had his gf arrested so he could propose to her -- not as bad as the guy who pretended to be in a horrible car wreck / dead or something and then proposed. (DOH)

Now I can't wait to see the vid!

Wow. What? :shock: (Extreme proposals. There's a show). I have to google that. Edit: ok, saw the vids. Too far!

Some people aren't scared by Para Activ but I'm the kind who projects into the story/movie, and I have to say the thought of having even someone I know loom over me for 90 minutes in a trance while I'm sleeping creeps me out... let alone being dragged out of bed and down the hall into the dark by something I can't see.

Oh god no. I already have an overactive imagination in the dark.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm surprised... It has an 81% rating on rotten tomatoes. Horror flicks these days rarely get a rating in the 80's or above.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm surprised... It has an 81% rating on rotten tomatoes. Horror flicks these days rarely get a rating in the 80's or above.

Yeah. It used to be at 90% but it's holding pretty high even with the bulk trickling in.

I didn't see numbers for RIPD. Got a bad feeling about that one.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm so excited about this movie. I love a good atmospheric supernatural thriller. The Ring was the last one that really got me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was pretty impressed by Sinister, actually. And I've heard good things about V/H/S 2.

I think overall VHS2 was better than VHS, the pieces were fewer but more polished. All of them are generally worth watching -- the first one's got some GREAT "freak out" scenes, and that's all I want to say. I personally think it's the scariest. The third one is completely a WTF scenario, you'll understand it once you see it.

Sinister, I had mixed feelings about. It was a little predictable. But it also did have some crazy freakout moments, and probably one of the better incorporations of the "found footage" motif in any recent horror movie I have seen. Good sense of humor (twisted but good) as well.

I'm so excited about this movie. I love a good atmospheric supernatural thriller. The Ring was the last one that really got me.

Love The Ring. Not a perfect movie (the little boy scenes didn't always work for me), but the ambiance and tone and visual imagery is pretty unsettling... Brian Cox also has a great cameo.

I haven't seen the original Asian version.

The Grudge is my other fave.

I just watched most of The Eye 2, and there's some pretty nasty ghosts who show up. I wish it was a more consistent movie, but the short ghost clips (especially where she's seeing people die) are pretty brutal.

My one friend was asking about seeing Red 2 tomorrow, but based on the reviews, I'd rather see The Conjuring.... I don't think she is into horror movies though.

MBTI Type
INTJ

Oh my God. That guy should be strung up by his balls. Rarely have I seen a prank so genuinely mean. I hope she broke up with that twisted fucker that night.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I saw that. Horrifying. I would never speak to him again.

E

Epiphany

I'm pretty excitied about this -- especially with all the acclaim it has received. (Right now, it looks like it's beating out Red 2, Turbo, and RIPD hands-down in the Rotten Tomatoes scoring.)

Same director as Saw and Insidious.

It's about time we had a decent "scare" movie (well, I hope!) come out in widespread release. I just watched the Evil Dead remake last night, and that's more just a gore fest.

I'm also familiar with Ed and Lorraine Warren (I read a copy of "The Demonologist") years ago. I still have memory of that freaky Raggedy Anne doll they had sealed up in a glass box.

I liked Insidious overall, though certain elements annoyed me. Didn't care for Saw; too much gore and not enough substance.

Maybe the regular fare is made for people like me who can't really take it. Have you always been able to watch horror? It's too real to me. (This makes me think about a time I took ambien to sleep. It didn't make me sleep, it made me hallucinate about creepy men in my room the whole night).

For the most part. I remember watching a lot of Tales From the Crypt as a child. But horror is a broad genre. I like psychological thrillers and suspense. Se7en was a good movie, but the senseless blood and guts of most slasher flicks is off-putting to me. They're not particularly scary, just disgusting. I guess that's why I prefer the supernatural themed movies, if they are done well. I like the mysteriousness of it all.

I liked the first Paranormal Activity. That particular scene was rather ominous. I thought the movie was well done, especially on such a low budget, compared to the bulk of horror movies. Unfortunately, every PA since the first one has been way too repetitive.

It dropped from 89% when I started this thread, but it looks like it's up to 83% at the moment. Still, rather high for a modern horror movie. I'll judge it tomorrow for myself.

I didn't see numbers for RIPD. Got a bad feeling about that one.

Me too. Judging from the trailer, I have no interest in seeing it whatsoever.

I was pretty impressed by Sinister, actually. And I've heard good things about V/H/S 2.

Haven't seen either one of those. Or the first V/H/S. I've avoided much of the horror genre over the past few years because it's been so disappointing, but I might give Sinister a shot.

I'm one of the few people who will admit to liking the Blair Witch Project. That was pretty much the film that pioneered the found footage trend anyway. I especially liked the Curse of the Blair Witch documentary they released prior to the film which built up suspense and led many people to believe that it was real. They should totally do a prequel that delves into the legend that preceded the events of the first movie. That horrendous sequel should've never been made though.

As do I. I used to make haunted houses in our garage as a kid. Love a spooky atmosphere irl or in some form of entertainment or media.

Oh my God. That guy should be strung up by his balls. Rarely have I seen a prank so genuinely mean. I hope she broke up with that twisted fucker that night.

I saw that. Horrifying. I would never speak to him again.

Haha! I thought it was a clever prank, myself. Her gaping mouth is horrifying though. I guess I view these sorts of things from a personal perspective. How would I feel if someone did that to me? I would probably be terrified at the moment after just waking up, but when I realized it was a prank, I'm sure I would laugh it off...especially if it was caught on camera and I could watch my reaction. I love Scare Tactics, Candid Camera and most prank shows. The only thing I wouldn't really find funny is something tasteless like leading a person to believe that a loved one has died, or something along those lines.

V

violaine

Aww, I think it's awesome that you reacted like that. :hug: I thought it was funny even though I was empathizing with her. Esp when she was crying, poor thing. Setting up multiple cameras is just evil, lol. That said, if it were me, he better be treating me like a GD princess for at least a month afterwards. Also, any marriage proposal had better be breathtaking. He just raised the bar for himself.

Haha! I thought it was a clever prank, myself. Her gaping mouth is horrifying though. I guess I view these sorts of things from a personal perspective. How would I feel if someone did that to me? I would probably be terrified at the moment after just waking up, but when I realized it was a prank, I'm sure I would laugh it off...especially if it was caught on camera and I could watch my reaction. I love Scare Tactics, Candid Camera and most prank shows. The only thing I wouldn't really find funny is something tasteless like leading a person to believe that a loved one has died, or something along those lines.

Yup, me too. And Scare Tactics is freaking hilarious. :rotfl:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aww, I think it's awesome that you reacted like that. :hug: I thought it was funny even though I was empathizing with her. Esp when she was crying, poor thing. Setting up multiple cameras is just evil, lol. That said, if it were me, he better be treating me like a GD princess for at least a month afterwards. Also, any marriage proposal had better be breathtaking. He just raised the bar for himself.

Mixed feelings.

I mean, I would have just laughed it off even if it would have freaked me out for a moment. She was pretty mortified, it was obvious he would have known she'd go crazy. he likely knew she'd respond badly but did it anyway -- that's probably the issue here... socially retarded.

Where is the line between loving teasing and making your fiance pee her pants?