• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Conjuring

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked Insidious overall, though certain elements annoyed me. Didn't care for Saw; too much gore and not enough substance.

I think the first Saw was kind of rough, although I was most put off by carey Elwes over-the-top performance -- I started laughing versus being freaked out.

I think any power in the series comes from the John Cramer character, since he isn't really a serial killer in the typical sense... he actually is portrayed as more of a "healer" with a fixation on tough love. He believes he is saving lives, not taking them -- and in a weird way, he's right and you can follow his logic.

When he vanishes from the storyline in later sequels, I think the whole quality starts to drop. I did think some of the twists and turns are interesting, and especially when sequels don't follow chronologically but overlap with prior movies. But it felt like the series lost its way at some point.

Still... gotta say, some of the most gruesome things I think I've witnessed in a movie.

For the most part. I remember watching a lot of Tales From the Crypt as a child. But horror is a broad genre. I like psychological thrillers and suspense. Se7en was a good movie, but the senseless blood and guts of most slasher flicks is off-putting to me. They're not particularly scary, just disgusting. I guess that's why I prefer the supernatural themed movies, if they are done well. I like the mysteriousness of it all.

You mean the HBO TotC? That was all over the spectrum; some episodes great, some average, some pretty spotty.

I'm not into senseless blood and guts either. At best, I get bored -- like with Evil Dead (2013). Gore that makes sense against a dramatic background? Much better.

I have mixed feelings about se7en (I honestly just didn't like Kevin Spacey much, he was boring). But the production quality and ambiance was excellent. The SLoth moment was awesome... at least in terms of making the skin crawl.

I liked the first Paranormal Activity. That particular scene was rather ominous. I thought the movie was well done, especially on such a low budget, compared to the bulk of horror movies. Unfortunately, every PA since the first one has been way too repetitive.

I agree. Really disappointed with the "sequels." But the first? Thought it was pretty cool. And I did grow up in a house that left me terrified to go into the dark places in it at night. The film awakened those sensations and memories. I think films like that are really partly based on what the viewer brings to the film (past experience + being willing to "enter the world of the movie").

seen either one of those. Or the first V/H/S. I've avoided much of the horror genre over the past few years because it's been so disappointing, but I might give Sinister a shot.

I think it's worth a viewing. I just wish it would have been better.

I'm one of the few people who will admit to liking the Blair Witch Project. That was pretty much the film that pioneered the found footage trend anyway. I especially liked the Curse of the Blair Witch documentary they released prior to the film which built up suspense and led many people to believe that it was real. They should totally do a prequel that delves into the legend that preceded the events of the first movie. That horrendous sequel should've never been made though.

I just rewatched it again this past week because my teenage son watched it himself a few weeks back and loved it. I filled him in about how it really standardized/mobilized the entire found film genre, in that sense it's a classic. I loved the marketing angle too, as well as the confusion they caused about "whether it was real." honestly, it's a great example of how to market a film like this. I also think it was pretty decent, considering their pre-production budget and how stripped down the cast and props were. Aside from the camera and sound recording equipment, this is a movie someone could make in their own neighborhood (if they live in boondocks MD).

I looked it up some more after watching it. Turns out while I grew up about 40 minutes max from Burkittsville and my entire area where I lived looked like that. (It's kind of west, not far west, of Frederick MD.) ANd where I live now in Catonsville? Well, the house was up near Granite somewhere on the edge of part of Patapsco Valley State Park -- that's probably what, 5-6 miles from here as the crow flies? Funny. I think they might have torn down the house now, due to all the tresspassers after the film who were stealing parts of the house + it being in pretty bad shape.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know there's at least two more fans out here.

Never watched the "sequel," but I think everyone agreed it was a dog.

The only thing I wouldn't really find funny is something tasteless like leading a person to believe that a loved one has died, or something along those lines.

Yeah, that's pretty horrible.

V

violaine

Mixed feelings.

I mean, I would have just laughed it off even if it would have freaked me out for a moment. She was pretty mortified, it was obvious he would have known she'd go crazy. he likely knew she'd respond badly but did it anyway -- that's probably the issue here... socially retarded.

Where is the line between loving teasing and making your fiance pee her pants?

Lol, a question for the ages. Love it. :-D Hmm, unless he is a super creep, (that's not out of the question), I would think she's ok with it because he uploaded it. Would have been great to get her assurance that she's ok.

I would be more upset about those proposal pranks. Don't think I could switch so quickly between being that upset and feelings of love.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would be more upset about those proposal pranks. Don't think I could switch so quickly between being that upset and feelings of love.

Especially where the guy pretended to be dead.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/russian-man-stages-death-proposing-girlfriend/story?id=17160468

Honestly, the best ending to this story would have been her pulling out a piece and capping the guy right there in the road, so he was dead for real. That would make a YouTube classic -- maybe even qualify for ABCs of Death 2 or something.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

wolfy

awsm
Especially where the guy pretended to be dead.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/russian-man-stages-death-proposing-girlfriend/story?id=17160468

Honestly, the best ending to this story would have been her pulling out a piece and capping the guy right there in the road, so he was dead for real. That would make a YouTube classic -- maybe even qualify for ABCs of Death 2 or something.

Didn't look at the link but that sounds like a dick thing to do. Funny comment, I laughed.

V

violaine

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the first Saw was kind of rough, although I was most put off by carey Elwes over-the-top performance -- I started laughing versus being freaked out.

I think any power in the series comes from the John Cramer character, since he isn't really a serial killer in the typical sense... he actually is portrayed as more of a "healer" with a fixation on tough love. He believes he is saving lives, not taking them -- and in a weird way, he's right and you can follow his logic.

When he vanishes from the storyline in later sequels, I think the whole quality starts to drop.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 films; After that it just felt like they were using the notoriety of the franchise to sell tickets based on how much further they could push the envelope in terms of theatrical violence in the trailers. Even though John Cramer was operating on some deluded sense of morality and arbitrarily choosing to seek vengeance, you can still see he had some sort of conviction in his actions, with that point being further highlighted when you find out his protege, serving as the contrast, is designing the games in a way that is impossible to overcome (and just flat-out killing the ones that do), and is really just a bloodthirsty maniac. Even though you feel sorry for the victims being that the movies are showing them at their most physically and mentally vulnerable points, you can distance yourself to a certain extent because you know they aren't truly innocent.

I have mixed feelings about se7en (I honestly just didn't like Kevin Spacey much, he was boring). But the production quality and ambiance was excellent. The SLoth moment was awesome... at least in terms of making the skin crawl.

I agree. Even though I generally like Kevin Spacey, given the severity and brutally enacted in his crimes, it felt like his eventual presence in the film was forced and rushed. For the vast majority of the film the focal point was on the what and why opposed to the who, then it's just kind of like "Oh, yeah. We found the bad guy by-the-way." *enters antagonist*

I still stand by my original idea that it would've been awesome if it was Morgan Freeman's committing the crimes to test his successor.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 films; After that it just felt like they were using the notoriety of the franchise to sell tickets based on how much further they could push the envelope in terms of theatrical violence in the trailers.

Yeah. Like that whole scene with the girl getting cut in half in public because she's been screwing both guys and so both of them quit playing the game?

Even though John Cramer was operating on some deluded sense of morality and arbitrarily choosing to seek vengeance, you can still see he had some sort of conviction in his actions, with that point being further highlighted when you find out his protege, serving as the contrast, is designing the games in a way that is impossible to overcome (and just flat-out killing the ones that do), and is really just a bloodthirsty maniac.

Yes, I think that bit is highlighted in Saw 3? It's where you really get a handle on where John is coming from and what distinctions exist that "make him different." He punishes his own protege for breaking the rules and creating situations that are geared to brutalize rather than offer redemption.

Even though you feel sorry for the victims being that the movies are showing them at their most physically and mentally vulnerable points, you can distance yourself to a certain extent because you know they aren't truly innocent.

That's another great point. They're not really victims. Maybe they are not guilty of crimes that they can be prosecuted for legally, but they're still guilty of crimes against "humanity" in a sense.

Like the insurance broker in one of the later films -- he's kind of forced to confront the random selection of his process by which he determines who lives (because they get the money and treatment they need) versus dies (because the system indifferently denies them, in order to cut costs). I think the beauty of that one was about how we thought his trials were the focus, but it turns out they weren't. I think the series is stronger when it plays with misdirections like that. When it just drops into gore, then it gets kind of old.

(Still, the culmination of Agent Strahm's narrative just kind of blows me away -- I mean, there's a twist there, but sometimes gruesome just lingers just because. it reminds me of this old horror comic I read as a kid, that I've never forgotten -- where the protagonist gets locked inside a trash truck, which then compacts its load, and when it opens again, there is nothing but slime and goo on the inside walls. That whole thing in Saw 5 left me feeling the same way.)

I agree. Even though I generally like Kevin Spacey, given the severity and brutally enacted in his crimes, it felt like his eventual presence in the film was forced and rushed. For the vast majority of the film the focal point was on the what and why opposed to the who, then it's just kind of like "Oh, yeah. We found the bad guy by-the-way." *enters antagonist*

Yup. He just walks into the police station and gives himself up, there's no real tension. I just feel like I'm watching a story play out, without any real investment there.

I still stand by my original idea that it would've been awesome if it was Morgan Freeman's committing the crimes to test his successor.

Okay, I never even CONSIDERED that, but that's pretty awesome. Obviously it would demand some major rewriting to get the ending right, but that would have been compounded by the fact that Freeman's actually the audience POV character and the one being empathized with. it's like being betrayed, when the narrator turns on you like that. Perfect for a movie like this.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, I never even CONSIDERED that, but that's pretty awesome. Obviously it would demand some major rewriting to get the ending right, but that would have been compounded by the fact that Freeman's actually the audience POV character and the one being empathized with. it's like being betrayed, when the narrator turns on you like that. Perfect for a movie like this.

The first time I saw the movie I was so thoroughly convinced that's what was going to happen because they noted that it was his last case, plus they heavily played on how jaded his outlook towards humanity had become due to his experiences as a detective, and just in general how distanced he was to the cases at hand. By the time Kevin Spacey showed up I let out a mildly disappointed "....oh..." coupled with a sigh.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The first time I saw the movie I was so thoroughly convinced that's what was going to happen because they noted that it was his last case, plus they heavily played on how jaded his outlook towards humanity had become due to his experiences as a detective, and just in general how distanced he was to the cases at hand.

You're definitely right. The seeds of it are there.

Maybe it wouldn't have even needed a ton of rewriting (except for the scene where they find the apartment... and then of course the ending a bit).

But can you imagine? After he sits there and listens to Tracey sympathetically? Talk about horrific, in terms of audience response. I think if it had been done well, it would have made the movie into a TOTAL classic. No one would be able to stop talking about it.

E

Epiphany

In all fairness, I've only seen the first Saw once and didn't have any interest in seeing the others.

I thought Kevin Spacey's portrayal of his character in Se7en was phenomenal. Strangely gentle, poetic and idealistic, yet simultaneously cruel and contradictory.

Another good one is Mr. Brooks, though it has some flaws. Loved the interactions between Kevin Costner and his diabolical conscience, William Hurt. The shocking revelation about his daughter. Even Dane Cook's character was interesting. I didn't care for Demi Moore's protagonist at all though.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I gotta break the habit of seeing horror movies with 85% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics seem to enjoy really boring horror movies, and The Conjuring is no exception.

James Wan's Insidious was far more scary, even with the poor man's Darth Maul...and really, Darth Maul was a lot scarier looking. The Conjuring, on the other hand...what was so special about it?

And why in the fuck was this movie rated R? Where was the gore?

One can hope that Insidious 2 will score a much lower rating on RT.

And after that, James Wan is on to direct Fast and Furious 7, a movie about demonically possessed Dodges (Dodge Demons, if you will), which will no doubt outdo Maximum Overdrive.

Oh, and was Billy the Puppet in The Conjuring? I missed it.

E

Epiphany

I didn't care for the first half and didn't have much hope going into the second half, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were some genuinely thrilling moments. I wouldn't rank it as high as The Exorcist, but as far as horror movies go, it's scarier than most. It was a better movie than Mission Impossible 4 and somehow that got a 93% rating on RT. It still baffles me.

E

Epiphany

I gotta break the habit of seeing horror movies with 85% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics seem to enjoy really boring horror movies, and The Conjuring is no exception.

James Wan's Insidious was far more scary, even with the poor man's Darth Maul...and really, Darth Maul was a lot scarier looking. The Conjuring, on the other hand...what was so special about it?

And why in the fuck was this movie rated R? Where was the gore?

One can hope that Insidious 2 will score a much lower rating on RT.

And after that, James Wan is on to direct Fast and Furious 7, a movie about demonically possessed Dodges (Dodge Demons, if you will), which will no doubt outdo Maximum Overdrive.

Oh, and was Billy the Puppet in The Conjuring? I missed it.

According to this article the movie received an R-rating because of how scary it is. It was hard for me to judge because the woman I saw it with was clinging to my arm the whole time and jumped at every little thing, but I did find certain elements in the latter half quite frightening. I even remember getting goosebumps a couple of times.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
According to this article the movie received an R-rating because of how scary it is. It was hard for me to judge because the woman I saw it with was clinging to my arm the whole time and jumped at every little thing, but I did find certain elements in the latter half quite frightening. I even remember getting goosebumps a couple of times.

What was so scary about it? I only remember jumping out of my seat maybe two times. The rest of it is atmosphere and waiting for things to happen. ..and it never does. Atmosphere only works if there's a payoff. And the clapping hands in the cellar was the lamest jump scare I've ever seen. I'm surprised people jumped like they did...they even jumped when that scene was in the trailer.

And the doll was kinda lame, but I give it a pass since it's a director's trademark.

Speaking of which, it was kinda stupid of the two paranormal investigators to let the kids stay in the same house as the possessed artifacts. Yep, one of the stupider moves in this kinda movie.

E

Epiphany

What was so scary about it? I only remember jumping out of my seat maybe two times. The rest of it is atmosphere and waiting for things to happen. ..and it never does. Atmosphere only works if there's a payoff. And the clapping hands in the cellar was the lamest jump scare I've ever seen. I'm surprised people jumped like they did...they even jumped when that scene was in the trailer.

And the doll was kinda lame, but I give it a pass since it's a director's trademark.

Speaking of which, it was kinda stupid of the two paranormal investigators to let the kids stay in the same house as the possessed artifacts. Yep, one of the stupider moves in this kinda movie.

I agree about the doll and the clapping. After the hands came out of the closet and clapped in the first half hour or so, I was thoroughly annoyed with the direction of the movie. It seemed too much like Paranormal Activity without the first-person footage, as far as doors opening and people being pulled out of bed.

Later in the movie, I found the atmosphere sufficiently spooky. I would have to watch it again to name specific elements that I liked. I did think the exorcism scene, alone, was A LOT scarier than any exorcism I've seen in films since the original Exorcist.. When you think of the Last Exorcism, the Rite, the Exorcism of Emily Rose and a number of other similar films, without giving too much away, this was a unique rendition that I haven't seen before. Watching a movie over is a good way to tell if it truly succeeds as a horror film or if it was simply cheap scares that have no lasting value. I would definitely watch The Conjuring again.

Also, I liked the trailer for the new Carrie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw it this morning, matinee, $6.50 yee-ha.

Overall, decent movie. First half was stronger than second half; once they did the reveal (of the main ghost), things became a more typical "exorcism" movie IMO but still a notch above most that I've seen. And I really like seeing Vera and Lili acting together -- two of my favorite underappreciated women in the business.

Movie is as advertised -- lots of subtle scares, takes a long time to build. You need to invest yourself in the movie and then it can rattle you. If you don't invest, it won't do as much. The movie is also good at sidestepping the conventions when need be; the director will frame part of the background to increase tension, or set up a scare beat and then not pay off until shortly after. This kind of throws off your rhythm as a viewer, in a productive way -- because you never know when the hell something is going to happen. Lili Taylor and the cellar is a prime example.

I found myself grinning in good ways during much of it, like you laugh on a rollercoaster that is about to take you for a ride.

The Warrens are a grounding force in this movie. I liked how they were portrayed as realistic, even self-deprecating, were duly skeptical of stories until investigating them, etc. They came across as credible in the movie. still, I have no idea what to make of them IRL. Only Lorraine lives, but she's 86 now. And this is the kind of experience that, when you have it, I have trouble imagining her wanting to capitalize/sensationalize it; I mean, this stuff is disturbing, and you would just be glad you could help people, but the experience is so dark, making entertainment out of it seems ... well, bizarre. So I don't know what to make of the authenticity of their career as demonologists. *shrug*

And a bit of a tangent, but: I did read The Demonologist, and the image that always stayed with me was this black and white photo of the large Raggedy Anne doll called Annabelle in the glass case. So I was tickled to see Annabelle show up in the movie, although I was a bit annoyed that they changed the doll to make her look creepy; the doll did exist, but she's a Raggedy Ann doll... which was worse to me because she had that stupid raggedy smile + the big black eyes that look like dead shark eyes.