• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What was the first video game you played and completed?

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
:laugh: Quite true. But it was my brother who always got the gaming systems--my sisters and I had to either watch him play, or sneak in play time when he wasn't around. I never actually completed a game from start to finish until Tomb Raider.

You would have loved the situation in my family; the video game systems and game gifts were 'officially' for me, but I was required to share them equally with my sisters (in practice, only one sister played video games), even though my sister was not required to equally share any of the presents she asked for....and she then proceeded to spend all of her money (the amounts of which I was too young to even begin to accumulate myself) on video games! That I couldn't play without her permission! She basically got twice the number of gifts as me....oh, the injustice of it all!

Ahem....as for the OP, I guess it was Super Mario Brothers, or maybe Space Quirks (an old computer shooting game). I much preferred Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!, Metroid (both of which I couldn't beat), and Zelda (Which I beat afterwards).

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ :rofl1: What a set up she had there! :D That would have been dreamy!

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Started it when I was 8, completed it when I was 12 :D The Water Temple delayed me the most.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I played a lot of video games but never really finished them. The first time I actually beat one was when I was 10 years old, and it was Kingdom Hearts.

There were some good themes in it, like the power of faith and how it can kind of light things up, and then there were some very weird supernatural events that took place, like black holes spawning out of nowhere and soaring into the air at will (maybe that's why the avatar was called 'Sora', because he can fly)!

Ansem was pretty cool, with his whole evil plot for the ultimate annihilation of everything and mass-manufacturing the Heartless at will, kind of like what Darth Sidious did with the clone troopers.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Pokemon yellow on my gameboy color. My friend sent me his Dragonair to help me beat the elite four.

Awesome, the first video game I beat was Gold and my friend sent me his Typhlosion to help me beat the Elite Four. :D And then I trained that guy to level 100 and when I traded it back my Xatu grew to like level 28...

I had Red before Gold but my 4 year old self just couldn't handle the level 50 Pokemon.

Lark

196035-bubble_bobble_01.gif

No way, my brother and I played this loads and never managed to get to the final level

Lark

Its that long ago and there's been so many I couldnt remember at all, I'm sort of a little perturbed about that, it's one of the firsts I dont remember.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No way, my brother and I played this loads and never managed to get to the final level

I believe my brother made it...:D

It just started from the beginning after that, if memory serves :wink:

He is also the bastard that introduced me to video games - though I preferred watching him play to actually playing for the most part.

93JC

(bump)

Hmm... I'm not sure exactly but I think it was The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It took months and months and months to finish.

It does hold a special place in my heart. I'm not sure how to describe it at the moment, I might elaborate later.

EDIT: I also want to add that I have never finished a Super Mario Bros. game.

After having given it a little more thought I’m pretty sure the first one I actually finished was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time, but The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was the first one that really stuck with me. Turtles in Time was like all sorts of other games I had played before, jumping from one side-scrolling, structured, predictable level to the next. Super Mario games worked the same way, and I had played all of those up to and including Super Mario World. Mega Man games were similar too except that in those games you could pick which level you wanted to do next. (I never did finish a Mega Man game either; holy crap were they difficult.)

Zelda was this breath of fresh air, a wide-open world where I had to backtrack and play things over and return to many of the same spots I had been to before to reach my end goal. It wasn’t entirely revolutionary in that respect, it was something role-playing games had been doing for a while but those games seemed, with their turn-based combat and ‘points’ (HP, XP, etc.), much clunkier by comparison. Zelda was fluid.

I couldn’t quite appreciate the subtleties of the game at the time, I was too young, but it still affected me. You start the game off completely unarmed and have to sneak into the castle to rescue the princess. Once that’s done you whisk her off to a sanctuary, where you think “Huh, that was easy.” You’re told you have to find the Master Sword, a mythical sword that will allow you to defeat the evil wizard. Okay, fine. You travel across the land and find three pendants which will allow you to wield the sword. After all this onerous, time-consuming adventuring and you finally find the sword you get a telepathic message that the wizard found the princess and is going to send her to the “Dark World”, a place you are whisked away to briefly on your way to the mountaintop dungeon containing the third pendant.

The Dark World is a gloomy, miserable place where evil rules. It’s a warped, perverted version of your “Light” world. The Light World’s skies are bright; the Dark’s World’s are permanently cloudy. The Light’s water is bright and fresh; the Dark’s is a putrid green. The Light World’s lush green grass is replaced by dead shrubbery in the Dark World. Rocks are replaced with skulls. Etc.

So you run off to the castle to stop the wizard. You get there, you use the Master Sword to break his magic seal on the room he’s keeping the princess captive in, and when you get in there… you’re too late. You arrive just in time to see Zelda transported to the Dark World. She’s gone. You defeat the wizard but it’s a Pyrrhic victory. You lost.

Then you find out you have to save seven maidens (including Zelda) from seven terrible dungeons in the Dark World; not only get Zelda back, but to stop Ganon, the evil ruler of the Dark World, from escaping and conquering your own world. It’s like an entirely different quest, more than twice as long as the first. All in one game.

Defeating Ganon and touching the Triforce was a long, arduous, bittersweet victory. I had never played a video game that left me feeling like that, and arguably I haven’t since.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't exactly remember the first game I beat, too young to remember which was first. Of the ones I remember beating....

Paperboy was one of them, and Kirby's Avalanche was another. There is another game I can't remember, but it was a side-scroller where you mix two powers you collect while playing the game (yeah, vague) to get to the end of the game. I always mixed the homing power and another homing power.